Minimum Price For Alcohol - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Minimum Price For Alcohol

14 minutes ago, Mee said:

Stupid tax which will only hit the poor. Middle class folk in general won't be drinking bottles of wine that cost less than 4.50 or cheap cider so will be unaffected when going to the supermarket and getting 4 bottles of wine with their shopping.

I'd be absolutely amazed if you can buy a bottle of wine for much less than £4-50.    I just looked on the Tesco website and the cheapest bottle of white wine - 75cl - was their own brand Lambrusco Bianco.  It was £2-50 but at only 4.1 units, it would only have to cost £2.05 under MUP.

The law is targeted at the high alcohol/low price brands which very few people drink other than to get as drunk as they can, as quickly as they can.

7 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I remember seeing a mate drink one of those 2-3 litre bottles in about an hour when we were teenagers, it didn’t end well.

That wouldn’t have happened if it had been £11 a bottle.

Silly anecdote, but I could see it having a positive impact on youngsters drinking habits.

Its not a silly anecdote. From what I can see its exactly why its being implimented. 

10 hours ago, Mee said:

Stupid tax which will only hit the poor. Middle class folk in general won't be drinking bottles of wine that cost less than 4.50 or cheap cider so will be unaffected when going to the supermarket and getting 4 bottles of wine with their shopping.

They should control sales through restricting stores or hours or introduce a tax that hits all alcohol, cheap to expensive.

People will be selling petrol and chemicals as cheap "vodka" same thing which happens in Russia and it will be all the politicians fault.

Reducing alcohol consumption is a nice idea, this is a ridiculous implementation. 

No its not a stupid tax.

If you have a group of youngsters who are on the road to alcoholism due to cheap strong beer or lager then this may turn them from consuming three bottles in one session to just one as that will be all they can afford. Makes sense to me.

The more people drink that cheap alcohol the more they want. Alcohol is a drug but if you can nip that in the bud by cutting down their consumption then it certainly helps their liver in the long run.

23 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The more people drink that cheap alcohol the more they want. Alcohol is a drug but if you can nip that in the bud by cutting down their consumption then it certainly helps their liver in the long run.

Or they can still drink the same volume but it will be lower in strength, so again a health benefit.

11 hours ago, Mee said:

People will be selling petrol and chemicals as cheap "vodka" same thing which happens in Russia and it will be all the politicians fault.

Nah, it'll be the folk making and selling its fault. 

11 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I remember seeing a mate drink one of those 2-3 litre bottles in about an hour when we were teenagers, it didn’t end well.

Your mate sounds like a lightweight. 2 litres of white cider and 4 cans of Tennants was my Saturday night carry-out as a youngster. A wee bit blackcurrant in the cider smoothed the taste out a bit too. 

I don't know if this initiative will work, but I would say it's worth a try.  The amount of alcohol drunk by youngsters nowadays is far far higher than it was 50 years ago.

I was told that the cheap "cider" on sale isn't actually cider but is industrially produced ethanol with water and flavourings added, without any apples being involved.  That just seems plain wrong if it's correct.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No its not a stupid tax.

If you have a group of youngsters who are on the road to alcoholism due to cheap strong beer or lager then this may turn them from consuming three bottles in one session to just one as that will be all they can afford. Makes sense to me.

It's not a tax stupid.

5 minutes ago, jockodile said:

introducing as part of a range of measures would have been a game changer but this looks like it falls into the 'look like you are doing something' category.

vast majority of people will be unaffected and booze culture will continue as normal. 

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2009/03/04144703/0

When people on here stop rejoicing about getting drunk, boasting about being unable to sleep after 3 day sessions and stop rocking up to Hampden with beer bellies and arse smells like chemical weapons then maybe just maybe our relationship with alcohol and the crutch it is for so many will have improved.

This law wont impact me as I don't drink much and when I do the price wont be raised.  Can't see it improving things where its needed tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that by putting the minimum price up will prevent people from laying toleys on nightclub dance floors 

I goes on Twitter earlier and all I see is tweets saying some dirty cow curled a big brooner out on the dance floor in Why Not last night!

The best of it is she's not even embarrassed 😳

18 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I hope that by putting the minimum price up will prevent people from laying toleys on nightclub dance floors 

I goes on Twitter earlier and all I see is tweets saying some dirty cow curled a big brooner out on the dance floor in Why Not last night!

The best of it is she's not even embarrassed 😳

Sorry. 

On 11/17/2017 at 3:25 AM, Alan said:

When people on here stop rejoicing about getting drunk, boasting about being unable to sleep after 3 day sessions and stop rocking up to Hampden with beer bellies and arse smells like chemical weapons then maybe just maybe our relationship with alcohol and the crutch it is for so many will have improved.

This law wont impact me as I don't drink much and when I do the price wont be raised.  Can't see it improving things where its needed tbh.

For foxs sake, you need a drink. :cheers3:

• 5 months later...

Really interesting coverage on Minimum Alcohol Pricing on the radio just then.
MAP comes into force today in Scotland.
Health professionals across the board say it's a good thing and it will save many lives.
Meanwhile on the VoxPop, members of the public who are not Health professionals say it won't.