Jimmy Hill Deid - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jimmy Hill Deid

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can actually remember thinking he was a khunt. Like a lot of English TV folk of his day he seemed a bit anti Scottish at times (i wish folk could back in time and watch the BBC in its day especially Kernie). That was how it (he's a poof) started but in the end he proved himself a very good guy. Saw him in real life briefly and his chin really was eye catchingly huge.

Sad news as he seemed like a true football fan who was ahead of his time.

Saying that, read a interesting article which talks about his venture into the NASL in the late 70's, blew his team $18m 3 year budget in less than a season and had to flee the country (apparently he could not work at the 1994 World Cup as a result).

The Jimmy Hill chants were never hafeful nor homophobic...that was the whole point !!

It was affectionate irony and that's exactly how he took it.

Every professional footballer in the last 50 years owes him literally a great debt

He was the union leader who got footballers off slave wages and onto the salaries they have enjoyed ever since.

Maybe the Tartan Army should send a wreath for his funeral. . He certainly gave us many years of happy chanting ...

The Jimmy Hill chants were never hafeful nor homophobic...that was the whole point !!

Every professional footballer in the last 50 years owes him literally a great debt

He was the union leader who got footballers off slave wages and onto the salaries they have enjoyed ever since.

Maybe the Tartan Army should send a wreath for his funeral. . He certainly gave us many years of happy chanting ...

Initially it was neither affectionate nor ironic.

Nonsense. They were both hateful and homophobic.

Sad news indeed. He always seemed like a really likeable guy to me so I never understood the chants from our fans...As mentioned though, there was probably very little hatred in them.

His wife was only on Sportsound a few weeks ago talking about his health. I read up after hearing her and it seems there was a lot of family issues regarding how he was being looked after in the last few years.

RIP Jimmy

Edited by derekfaejapan

• 4 months later...