Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's 2 "logical" orders to watch them in. Chronolgical by release so Star Wars (IV), Empire Strikes Back (V), Return of the Jedi (VI), Phantom Menance (I), Attack of the Clones (II) and Revenge of the Sith (III). The other logical order is chronological by order of events so I through to VI. There is a train of thought I quite like though that says it works quite well if you watch IV & V and then I-III as a flashback ending on VI. I'm not sure how much you know of the story but if you know enough to know what the twist in Empire is then it does kind of make sense.

I recently watched the original trilogy on Sky Movies and it was the bastardised remastered versions that Lucas completely ruined. Some of the inserted seems were just ridiculous such as Mos Eisley being changed from a "wretched hive of scum and villainy" to a sunny painted town with cartoon dinosaurs, the meeting between Han & Jabba outside the Falcon (when Han steps on his tail it must be one of the most cringe-worthy pieces of film making ever) and in ROTJ the awful inclusion of the CGI band and musical number. Just absolutely terrible.

I stopped watching Star Wars films after enduring the Phantom Menance so probably best not to start there.

Edited by thplinth

For it to be a brother and sister battle it would be one hell of a bait and switch to pull it off... That's never happened in the series yet.

It seems the least likely conclusion so I'm plumping for it, he needs to do something and also there's precedent, Luke and Leia...

I stopped watching Star Wars films after enduring the Phantom Menance so probably best not to start there.

Well exactly, there is also a train of thought that says just watch IV-VI and pretend the other 3 don't exist! III does have some good bits in it though such as the opening battle above Coruscant, Anakin's decent to the dark side and the final duel on Mustafar.

Well exactly, there is also a train of thought that says just watch IV-VI and pretend the other 3 don't exist! III does have some good bits in it though such as the opening battle above Coruscant, Anakin's decent to the dark side and the final duel on Mustafar.

Stop. You are bringing back bad memories. I did try to watch the Clones one but just could not bear it anymore. I thought Phantom was self indulgent Lucas pish and Clones looked even worse from the little I saw. I'll give this new one a spin but I expect the plot will have been butchered anyway to comply with the Hollywood agenda as pretty much all big moves are nowadays. (The worst example I have seen recently was Mad Max. FFS...)

Edited by thplinth

I haven't watched any Star Wars movies - i now quite fancy watching the entire story - what would be the best sequence to watch it (them) from, I'm assuming it's the very first Star Wars film from 1977 ?

Thanks in advance !!

I would watch them in order of when they came out, so Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, then episodes I, II and III.

The plot twist in Empire Strikes Back would be less of a surprise if you watched them in numerical order.

Can folk talking about the film plot use spoilers? ###### knobs.

Don't worry i've already taken note of their names and in the process of finding out their likes so i can return in kind randomly one day. I don't want their apologies i want them to know what it felt like :ok:

Don't worry i've already taken note of their names and in the process of finding out their likes so i can return in kind randomly one day. I don't want their apologies i want them to know what it felt like :ok:

I've avoided spoilers and was suspicious opening this thread but it seemed to be more about the hype of the film rather than talking about plot points then BAM!, couple of kuntbags don't use spoilers.

I've avoided spoilers and was suspicious opening this thread but it seemed to be more about the hype of the film rather than talking about plot points then BAM!, couple of kuntbags don't use spoilers.

That's why I stayed off this thread until I'd seen it. No way people could not talk about it.

J

I think Kylo Rens soppyness and... Apparent uselessness was intentional, which made you know what, a pivotal moment for the development of the character. The lightsaber battle that followed with Rey shortly afterwards continued his theme of apparent uselessness, again intentional. He's nae Darth Bane but I'm liking the character :lol:

I can't wait for the next two, I'm actually moist with excitement... But deeply saddened that your expectations weren't met. :(

SPOILERS.........

I found him a great character. A man boy who has lost his way. He knows he's done some bad shit but is trapped on a downward path. I think most of us have a friend or family member who has made some bad choices but we still love them.

That conflict was brilliant and shocking. I'm interested to find out more about his back story and how he fell to the dark side.

J

Agree, the third of the prequels was good and is dismissed to easily by hardcore fans.

How do we know it's brother and sister? General Leia would know about a second child to Han, i think Rey is Luke's child, hence why she was hidden away as he scappered - although as Jedi's are no supposed to love maybe it's someone we've no met yet.

New Darth whatever doesnt want to be there, he's no a baddie the big scarred guy is the evil one and beating him will hopefully be a tad more interesting, Kylo Ren is just a lost wee boy, but was sick enough to kill those closest to him, he has some temper which led to the funniest part of the film. loved every minute of it, shit story or not....

not confirmed but suspiciously looked like it was loch ness they used ;)

STAR-MONT-660x496.jpg

12301639_10153105868597085_5448817157784

but all just rumours......

Edited by JasMc1973

Its a remarkable return, and I got quite emotional with some of the Easter Eggs and realising it was almost 40 years ago I saw the first as a small 7 year old boy. I agree about the death Star type plot, and wasn't too impressed with another goody turning to the Dark side - same story ? Why not just have an out and out BADBOY.

I didn't think the Score was very dynamic, and the baddy was a it of wimp - They shoud have kept Darth Maul as a successor to Vadar for these next 3 films - I think there was a lack of tension between good and bad - I remember Vadar scaring the shit out of me as a kid, but still thought he was cool as. Darth Maul coud have been the one IMV.

....and why was Vadars helmit ( :ok: ) all melted ? He took it off in RotJ - or was it leftover fom his cremation ?

I think its a success as a stand alone film in it's own right AND most of all - they got the humour back into it.

The prequals are bad because there is just too much obvious CGI and bright colour, with too many Puppety type Aliens - almost like a Pixar animated film. This film feels real, has great landscapes, the pacing is fine and move along without being rushed or too slow - I just wished it was 3 hours - didn't want it to end.

Worth the Hype. 4.5/5, welcome but just not quite an out and out classic - but it does make you thisty for the next one.

Going to see it agin over Xmas at some stage.

Can't believe what I have just read - Every point made wholly represents a discussion i've just had with a colleague in the office before lunch! From the emotions, to the realisation of time passed to issues with the plot :ok:

+ I'm also going to see it again over Xmas with a friend who is due to visit but this time in 3D

Without meaning to sound like a pedantic fanboy, there was no Death Star in TESB. It was ROTJ that they had to blow up the second one.

Yes! :ok:

I was thinking ROTJ but due to being around 5am my brain wasn't working and I wrote TESB without realising! Worse yet, I had just seen ROTJ hours earlier!!

There's 2 "logical" orders to watch them in. Chronolgical by release so Star Wars (IV), Empire Strikes Back (V), Return of the Jedi (VI), Phantom Menance (I), Attack of the Clones (II) and Revenge of the Sith (III). The other logical order is chronological by order of events so I through to VI. There is a train of thought I quite like though that says it works quite well if you watch IV & V and then I-III as a flashback ending on VI. I'm not sure how much you know of the story but if you know enough to know what the twist in Empire is then it does kind of make sense.

I recently watched the original trilogy on Sky Movies and it was the bastardised remastered versions that Lucas completely ruined. Some of the inserted seems were just ridiculous such as Mos Eisley being changed from a "wretched hive of scum and villainy" to a sunny painted town with cartoon dinosaurs, the meeting between Han & Jabba outside the Falcon (when Han steps on his tail it must be one of the most cringe-worthy pieces of film making ever) and in ROTJ the awful inclusion of the CGI band and musical number. Just absolutely terrible.

I am only assuming these were pre 2012/13 versions and Vader's "nooooooooo" at Palpatine/Sidious killing his son was not included. absolutely horrific and turns a silent majestic moment that stands up with anything in The original trilogy to a cringe inducing embarrassment. And that sums up Lucas and what he has become. A thousand times worse than the examples you give; a hundred times worse than the tedious Greedo shot.

Some say Lucas did it to bring an element of symmetry to Vader's life - and of course all 6 movies are really the story of Anakin. His "Noooooooooo" at Vader's birth on learning of the death of Padme to his "nooooooooo" at Vader's death on his redemption. But I think that is being too kind to Lucas. He can't do anything subtle and Vader's silence in that scene, beautiful and beloved to most Star Wars fans, became an irritation to him. The ####er.

I like my little pony and Dora the explorer.

Saw it last night at the Limegrove flics in Holetown, Barbados. Surreal. Fantastic. The 3D effects combined wae the rum was wonderful.

Lots of cheering when "familiar" faces popped up wae most applause at the Jedi mind-trick (!)

Loved it. Will watch it again in the pictures when we're hame. Saw the first movie in freezin Dundee in 78. The whole cinematic difference is measured in Light Years.

Hans Solo gets light sabered to death by his boy

You sir are a fanny if the first order. (Do you see what I did there?) No need to spoil it for everyone.

Edited by kmcca5