G.a.r.l. Is Back - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

G.a.r.l. Is Back

On 27/11/2015 at 11:18 AM, Alibi said:

Looks to me as if you could take a branch off around Paisley St James and take it almost right up to the airport across mainly waste ground or ground with nothing built on it anyway. I assume it would be possible to get across the M8 just to the east of the St James interchange and the track could run on an elevated structure right to the terminal building, or you could stop short and put in a travelator. Is that what the original proposal was, because I thought they might originally have been intending to branch off at Gilmour Street for some reason?

Monorail monorail monorail 

On 26/11/2015 at 3:49 PM, Orraloon said:

That was my plan for Edinburgh airport. There is a train line runs less than a mile away. Didn't get past the idea stage though. Not enough scope for backhanders apparently.

The line runs past the end of the runway,  but the most practical point for the station is nearly two miles from the terminal. So needs some kind if system (like, say, a tram) to transport you from there. And that line only services Fife and points north. 

3 minutes ago, biffer said:

The line runs past the end of the runway,  but the most practical point for the station is nearly two miles from the terminal. So needs some kind if system (like, say, a tram) to transport you from there. And that line only services Fife and points north. 

What they need is some sort of 'Park' that serves both this magical 'tram' you talk of AND Westbound trains.

• 2 months later...
On 11/24/2016 at 8:01 PM, Coldo said:

They should just do away with Glasgow and Edinburgh airports and build a truly modern international hub at Stirling with Rail Links to both cities and stop them holding eachother back.

Hindsight and all that?

The number of times I've heard people say this and I think it's a terrible idea. People complain about how long it takes to get to Heathrow from central London, so it's a good idea to put our airport a longer travel time away for smaller cities? 

11 minutes ago, biffer said:

The number of times I've heard people say this and I think it's a terrible idea. People complain about how long it takes to get to Heathrow from central London, so it's a good idea to put our airport a longer travel time away for smaller cities? 

It's 15 minutes on the Heathrow Express. Doubt you could get from any City Centre to any Scottish Airport in that time.

Maybe Dundee.

This Glasgow Central to Queen Street is a belter.

It's literally a five minute walk.  If the passenger has got to Central station they're either staying in Glasgow (fine) or moving onto another destination.  In which case, any reasonable person would expect to have to reach that other destination via some kind of other route.   A five minute / 15 with a bag is not outwith the norm.

2 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

This Glasgow Central to Queen Street is a belter.

It's literally a five minute walk.  If the passenger has got to Central station they're either staying in Glasgow (fine) or moving onto another destination.  In which case, any reasonable person would expect to have to reach that other destination via some kind of other route.   A five minute / 15 with a bag is not outwith the norm.

If you're travelling by yourself and only have a single case. 

3 minutes ago, deecie said:

If you're travelling by yourself and only have a single case. 

If you're going to a destination outwith that of the airport you're going to, it's reasonable to expect you won't be lifted and laid to every other conceivable place.  Especially with a station a few hundred yards away.

They could maybe put buses onto Buchanan bus station.. 

And if you're cutting about with three kids and a whole load of suitcases, it's just how it is.  always going to be difficult whatever is in place.

Priority should be getting to Glasgow City Centre from the airport before a vanity project for the sake of a few hundred yards, in  my opinion.

34 minutes ago, deecie said:

It's 15 minutes on the Heathrow Express. Doubt you could get from any City Centre to any Scottish Airport in that time.

Maybe Dundee.

Which is fine if you're in the area of Paddington. if you're in the city of London (or god forbid south of the river) it'd take you at least half an hour to get to Paddington.

2 minutes ago, biffer said:

Which is fine if you're in the area of Paddington. if you're in the city of London (or god forbid south of the river) it'd take you at least half an hour to get to Paddington.

They should build some sort of Rail to Cross London. That'll sort it out.

I've changed my mind on this and think its a waste of £££.

The bus is easy to get, cheap and pretty fast.

I'm guessing 80+% journey to Glasgow Airport are by car.  It's easy to get to. Easy to drop off.  Easy to pick up. Easier when you have families and luggage.  Taxis are cheap especially with Uber.

A valid point of the missing link between Central and Queen Street.  

Can't see the benefits outweighing the cost.

I hate buses but the 'Flyer' is actually ok - it's clean, comfy and usually only about 15 minutes into the city centre - it's also far more reliable than anything Scotrail are likely to run.

The return fare is reasonable (think it's £8.50) but if you're only going one way £7 for a single is a bit strong.

Edited by Charlie Endell

• 1 year later...

New proposal, the world's longest travelator from the airport to Feegy Park...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15698120.World_s_longest_moving_walkway_a__cut_price_alternative__to_tram_train_Glasgow_Airport_link/

Only took 2 years to implement Deecie's plan ;).....

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 2:16 PM, deecie said:

Looking at Googlemaps, I recon the trainline goes within about 50m of the airport.

A lump of concrete either side of the track and a covered walkway to the terminal is all that's needed. £100k at the most.

Next.

Edited by Toepoke