Good Luck Bosnia Thread - Page 11 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Good Luck Bosnia Thread

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well he does claim to be Scottish, cos he represents the Scottish national team.

You don't have to be Scottish to play for Scotland.

I'm unsure why you think FIFA and UEFA decide on nationality. They simply decide whether someone is eligible to represent a country at football, based on a set of criteria that they decided upon.

James Morrison represents Scotland at football, he is not Scottish.

I can accept that you were incorrect and we can move on.

23 Randolph

2 Coleman

5 Keogh

12 Clark

19 Brady

6 Whelan (sub O'Shea)

8 McCarthy

14 Walters

20 Hoolahan (sub McClean)

21 Hendrick

13 Murphy (sub Long)

Losing to this team tells you as much about the challenge facing WGS as it does about the achievement of MON and his mediocre but committed and hard working squad.

To Republic of Ireland and your fans: well done and good luck in France. Have a blast next summer, pity we're not there to cross paths at some French railway station and share a few beers.

I'm stilll gutted about non-Q, and the Tbilisi performance in particular, but it's nobody's fault but our own.

Wishing failure on every team that beats us would soon make watching international football a miserable experience for us! This isn't rivalry, it's just petty. While I grew up with this mentality and understand it, anyone "outside looking in" will not. They will NOT see the proud confident modern progressive inclusive (and independent) Scotland that we aspire to be and that I want to follow.

It's not always easy.......taking 4 points of the World Champions would help though!

23 Randolph

2 Coleman

5 Keogh

12 Clark

19 Brady

6 Whelan (sub O'Shea)

8 McCarthy

14 Walters

20 Hoolahan (sub McClean)

21 Hendrick

13 Murphy (sub Long)

Losing to this team tells you as much about the challenge facing WGS as it does about the achievement of MON and his mediocre but committed and hard working squad.

Fact is, Ireland with a team of journeymen managed to over-achieve, Scotland with a team of journeymen managed to under-achieve.

I'm not convinced that Ireland's 1970's football blend of long-balls, commitment and good fortune will get them anywhere in the Euro's next year, but they've already out-stripped our timid, half-hearted performances in qualifying.

I'm still surprised that Strachan hasn't come under more scrutiny for the failure in not even finishing above this pish Ireland side.

You don't have to be Scottish to play for Scotland.

I'm unsure why you think FIFA and UEFA decide on nationality. They simply decide whether someone is eligible to represent a country at football, based on a set of criteria that they decided upon.

James Morrison represents Scotland at football, he is not Scottish.

I can accept that you were incorrect and we can move on.

And your happy to support a player who is not Scottish? Then you can have no complaints about McGeady and McCarthy then.

Do Mcgeady and Mcarthy claim to be Irish?

You'll have to ask them :ok:

You seem to be getting awfully worked up about the fact i want Ireland to lose at football because of McGeady & McCarthy.

I have to say this forum makes for superb lunchtime reading!!

To the jealous naive clowns on here, the feeling is mutual yis absolute horrible coonts , delighted you bottled it :ok:

Now off to France we go , maybe Andy Murray will win Wimbledon to keep your spirits up :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

Oh and thanks for the tune from the Aviva in June..... :rollsmile:

So fcuk your tartan army , Ireland's having a party , we've qualified .....we've qualified :guitar::guitar:

Fair play to the Irish lads that have been on here for a while, and the ones we met at both games - I hoped you wouldn't make it through due to nothing but bitterness of not finishing above you, but enjoy France :ok:

Edit to say - that doesn't extent to the lad above :ok:

Edited by Glasgowmancity

To the jealous naive clowns on here, the feeling is mutual yis absolute horrible coonts , delighted you bottled it :ok:

Now off to France we go , maybe Andy Murray will win Wimbledon to keep your spirits up :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

So fcuk your tartan army , Ireland's having a party , we've qualified .....we've qualified :guitar::guitar:

shitforbrains!!!

That's an hour off for me. B)

I've been reading Scottish chatter over the last while, and it's been sad, and I suppose interesting as well, to see the sentiments change since September. At the beginning of September, Scotland looked nailed on for AT LEAST 3rd place, and then the result that no-one expected against Georgia happened. By the middle of October, I saw people opining that Ireland play to their strengths while Scotland are ultimately fooling themselves by playing a passing game and trying to progress and should aim to be more like Ireland. Now, I'm not saying everyone said this, but I think had anyone said it around the Summer, they'd have been told to f*ck off. It would have been laughable. And on the Irish side, fans were pointing to Scotland as a 'limited' team who were attempting to bring their game on, and Ireland should try to be more like Scotland. I suppose it reminds us that the result is ultimately king and always will be. What happened in the game before last barely seems to matter. Are Scottish fans happy to play the long game and watch their team attempt to bring its game on, even if it leads to more heartbreak than glory in the short-term? Are Irish fans happy to watch their team concede possession now that its led the team to the Euros?

I've been reading Scottish chatter over the last while, and it's been sad, and I suppose interesting as well, to see the sentiments change since September. At the beginning of September, Scotland looked nailed on for AT LEAST 3rd place, and then the result that no-one expected against Georgia happened. By the middle of October, I saw people opining that Ireland play to their strengths while Scotland are ultimately fooling themselves by playing a passing game and trying to progress and should aim to be more like Ireland. Now, I'm not saying everyone said this, but I think had anyone said it around the Summer, they'd have been told to f*ck off. It would have been laughable. And on the Irish side, fans were pointing to Scotland as a 'limited' team who were attempting to bring their game on, and Ireland should try to be more like Scotland. I suppose it reminds us that the result is ultimately king and always will be. What happened in the game before last barely seems to matter. Are Scottish fans happy to play the long game and watch their team attempt to bring its game on, even if it leads to more heartbreak than glory in the short-term? Are Irish fans happy to watch their team concede possession now that its led the team to the Euros?

If we had continued the Levein way I would have stopped going to games.That said i would prefer the so called old fashioned4.4.2 to our current system.

At least we know what PGB is doing these days.

I stopped travelling to away games (and zeroed my SSC points) because of the Levein 'way'.

The margins are very fine though: despite all the despair of the Levein days, we were a shocking penalty decision v Czech Rep away from the playoffs.

I've since built my points back up again and at least I'm watching a team which (Tbilisi inexplicably aside) carries a goal threat. Still hurting just the same though.

It's just the way it is ?

I stopped travelling to away games (and zeroed my SSC points) because of the Levein 'way'.

The margins are very fine though: despite all the despair of the Levein days, we were a shocking penalty decision v Czech Rep away from the playoffs.

I've since built my points back up again and at least I'm watching a team which (Tbilisi inexplicably aside) carries a goal threat. Still hurting just the same though.

It's just the way it is

We're no better than we were under Levein.

Strachan gets a lot of leeway, but our performance away to Georgia was just as pussyish as anything under Levein.

If we had been in Ireland's boots playing Bosnia how many believe we would have beat them over two legs?

Very best of luck to the Irish next year. Ignore the bitter cases on here and don't judge us all by them.

:ok:

I was thinking that earlier today, is their anyone at the euros we'd be confident of beating away from home? And would we have beaten anybody in the play offs over 2 legs?

(We did beat Ireland over 2 legs, but that wasn't a winner takes all scenario, a win in Dublin would've all but finished Ireland off, we were perhaps unlucky to play Germany when we did, as they dropped points at the start and end of the campaign, but couldn't really afford to lose when we played them. Off on a bit of a ramble, could direct the whole campaign, perhaps could've taken 4 points from Germany and Poland away, but ultimately took 1...)

I'll take an interest in how Ireland get on in the summer, and wouldn't mind seeing them doing well. 16/24 into knockout, and with their ability to grind out a result, they could score 1 goal and get to the 1/4 final.