Tamb Cycling Thread - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, this is maybe a really stupid question but hey ho. I only got into cycling last year and there is a lot of stuff I don't know, but anyway I changed the inner tubes and tires on the second hand bike I got. Both inner tubes are the same with presta valves. The front one inflates normally and stays inflated, but the back one deflates pretty quickly and is hard to pump up (it is like the air is coming out faster than it goes in). I checked and there is no puncture. Basically the question is: Am I being an total idiot here, or do I have a faulty valve? Are faulty valves a thing? Also, the wee thread thing on the presta valve, is it meant to move a wee bit or is it meant to stay completely still when unscrewing the nut? Ta

5 hours ago, yourname said:

Hey guys, this is maybe a really stupid question but hey ho. I only got into cycling last year and there is a lot of stuff I don't know, but anyway I changed the inner tubes and tires on the second hand bike I got. Both inner tubes are the same with presta valves. The front one inflates normally and stays inflated, but the back one deflates pretty quickly and is hard to pump up (it is like the air is coming out faster than it goes in). I checked and there is no puncture. Basically the question is: Am I being an total idiot here, or do I have a faulty valve? Are faulty valves a thing? Also, the wee thread thing on the presta valve, is it meant to move a wee bit or is it meant to stay completely still when unscrewing the nut? Ta

I don't use presta but I think there's something inside the valve that opens when air goes in then closes maybe it's jammed open 

9 hours ago, yourname said:

Make sure you unscrew the internal valve (under the cap( when are inflating then you have to tightly screw it back when finished other wise the wee threads bit you describe will move and with every movement air will escape.  

3 hours ago, flynnyboy said:

Make sure you unscrew the internal valve (under the cap( when are inflating then you have to tightly screw it back when finished other wise the wee threads bit you describe will move and with every movement air will escape.  

Mmm yeah I did unscrew it, but after installing a new tube and looking at the old one closely, I think I might have been a bit rough with it because it seemed to be bent slightly. I reckon it wasn't closing properly and that's why I was getting flats. ta

• 2 weeks later...

How's everyones targets for the year coming along?

I set my target distance on Strava for 4500km, then upped it to 7500km...So far I've covered 1537km since January 1st - If I keep that pace then 10,000km for the year is looking good.

Mentioned it on the thread earlier but does anyone know of anywhere in the Glasgow area that rents road bikes?

Cheers

15 hours ago, derekfaejapan said:

How's everyones targets for the year coming along?

I set my target distance on Strava for 4500km, then upped it to 7500km...So far I've covered 1537km since January 1st - If I keep that pace then 10,000km for the year is looking good.

Mentioned it on the thread earlier but does anyone know of anywhere in the Glasgow area that rents road bikes?

Cheers

Set the following targets for 2016 on Strava:

Cycling 8047km (5000 miles)  - currently 899 km but thats ok as will do vast majority from April to August....might aim for 1000 miles in May

Running 1610km (1000 miles) - currently only 54km but injured and not ran for 6 weeks...will pick it up as got IM Copenhagen in Aug

Swimming 200,000m  - currently 42,400m so ahead of schedule as doing a masters class on Tues and Fri mornings before work

Little bike tour with tent in panniers from Frankfurt Hahn Airport up the Mosel to Metz for the game and then up over the Gran Balon and up the Rhine to Basel Airport for the flight home.  Three hundred and odd miles within the week.  Cant wait.

Derek, try Billy Bilsland, Dales, Alpine Bikes, Solid Rock or Chain Reaction in Glasgow one of them might rent out racers.

On 2/26/2016 at 6:57 AM, caledonian1 said:

Set the following targets for 2016 on Strava:

Cycling 8047km (5000 miles)  - currently 899 km but thats ok as will do vast majority from April to August....might aim for 1000 miles in May

Running 1610km (1000 miles) - currently only 54km but injured and not ran for 6 weeks...will pick it up as got IM Copenhagen in Aug

Swimming 200,000m  - currently 42,400m so ahead of schedule as doing a masters class on Tues and Fri mornings before work

Pretty solid targets there. I'm quite impressed that you've managed 899km in Scotland over January/Feb! :o

8 hours ago, derekfaejapan said:

Pretty solid targets there. I'm quite impressed that you've managed 899km in Scotland over January/Feb! :o

Not all out doors though - i have included time on the turbo and watt bike at gym.  However i have been out a few times on my road bike and more so cycled to work through the woods on my mountainbike.  Vast majority of miles done over summer months - did a one day Audax which was 264 miles last year (National 400 (turned out to be 425km) where the most southernly point was Dingwall)

just upped my swimming target to a rather ambitious 250,000m

9 hours ago, caledonian1 said:

Not all out doors though - i have included time on the turbo and watt bike at gym.  However i have been out a few times on my road bike and more so cycled to work through the woods on my mountainbike.  Vast majority of miles done over summer months - did a one day Audax which was 264 miles last year (National 400 (turned out to be 425km) where the most southernly point was Dingwall)

just upped my swimming target to a rather ambitious 250,000m

How did yer legs feel after that? I'm planning a 300km ride in May.

On 04/03/2016 at 6:32 AM, derekfaejapan said:

How did yer legs feel after that? I'm planning a 300km ride in May.

Not too bad..it is a much a mental test of endurance as physical. Obviously you need to do the training beforehand.  I also have a 300km Audax this year (Lewis and Harris in July)  I did the Snow Roads a couple of times which is 302km (about 5000m of climbing as you are over the Cairn O'Mount, Lecht, Gairnsheil and Glenshee - four of highest roads in Scotland)  Nutrition is really important - I far prefer real food to energy gels.

My Garmin calculated I used 14,000 calories on the snow roads but doubt it was quite that much but even then you can eat as much as you like. During the National 400 there were food stops in various village halls along the route....think I had 5 meals (mostly pasta based) That event started at 10am so you had to cycle through the night to finish.....that was really tough especially climbing up the Struie(?) after Bonar Bridge at 5am.  This was all ideal physical and mental preparation for Ironman and I am planning to do heaps of long cycles in the build up to Ironman Copenhagen this year

• 2 weeks later...

Mountain bikes are for paper rounds and robbing banks in Fife. Road cycling is a real mans game. 

Bought my latest N+1 yesterday, lovely bike. few Frank Spencer moments as pedals I bought have a tension of 16m..add decreased stopping distance with the discs to increased time to unclip and  had a couple of twitchy moments. sent a few emails to a few shops re changing the tension spring over to something more manageable. at 630 miles so far this year all on the road, off ten days from easter weekend so hoping to get close to doubling that, with a ton ride thrown in at some point. 

11 hours ago, Louch said:

Mountain bikes are for paper rounds and robbing banks in Fife. Road cycling is a real mans game. 

Not sure I'd consider all that Lycra and shaving legs as a real mans game...

Hurtling down the side of a mountain after pedalling up it on the other hand...

B)B):spin:

Edited by goodguy

• 1 month later...

Hey Lads, for anyone more experienced with cycling, are the climb classifications on sites/apps like Mapmyride or strava the same as the ones in the grand tours? As in, if one of those sites says a climb is a 3, would it also be classed a 3 in a grand tour, or would the classification change?

On 07/05/2016 at 5:26 PM, yourname said:

Hey Lads, for anyone more experienced with cycling, are the climb classifications on sites/apps like Mapmyride or strava the same as the ones in the grand tours? As in, if one of those sites says a climb is a 3, would it also be classed a 3 in a grand tour, or would the classification change?

No, they're not, as Grand Tour classification takes in to account where on a stage the climb occurs, and a range of other factors, as well as length and gradient.

There are obviously other nuances on things like Strava where a segment might not actually match up exactly with where a Grand Tour climb may start/finish.

If personal experience counts for anything, I've climbed a Vuelta mountain-top finished that was classed as a Cat-1 climb in the actual race, but that Strava classed as Cat-2.

2 hours ago, Sherps said:

No, they're not, as Grand Tour classification takes in to account where on a stage the climb occurs, and a range of other factors, as well as length and gradient.

There are obviously other nuances on things like Strava where a segment might not actually match up exactly with where a Grand Tour climb may start/finish.

If personal experience counts for anything, I've climbed a Vuelta mountain-top finished that was classed as a Cat-1 climb in the actual race, but that Strava classed as Cat-2.

I know about them classifying a climb differently based on where it is in the stage, so I see where you are coming from. But ignoring where it occurs in a stage, the ratings are correct? Basically I did my first cat 2 the other day and want to boast about it.

15 hours ago, Sherps said:

And the most important part. What gear an old car required to get up the hill.

21 hours ago, yourname said:

I know about them classifying a climb differently based on where it is in the stage, so I see where you are coming from. But ignoring where it occurs in a stage, the ratings are correct? Basically I did my first cat 2 the other day and want to boast about it.

I'm not sure you can ignore where it occurs in a stage, as that's a factor that race organisers use that Strava doesn't. As such, you could hypothetically have the same mountain with a different categorisation in different races. Strava's categorisation never changes, it's just length in metres multiplied by average gradient, the total number you get gives you the categorisation Cat 4 > 8000 Cat 3 > 16000, 2 > 32000, 1 > 64000, HC > 80000.
However, in saying that, I'm pretty sure that Strava ratings would come pretty close to what a climb would be categorised in a race anyway, there's just no way to prove it.

Congrats on climbing a Cat-2, by the way. That's an achievement no matter how mountain classifications compare.
If it's not too nosy a question, what was it?

8 hours ago, Jacobite said:

And the most important part. What gear an old car required to get up the hill.

LOL.
If old Henri Desgrange's motor couldn't get up it, it was HC.

Yeah I completely understand that you cannot ignore where it  occurs in a stage. it makes perfect sense to take that into account. I was just basically wondering if they used a similar scale.

I actually live in the south of france so it was just an unnamed hill near Montpellier. It was an odd one though. 8km with a tiny gradient (like 1 or 2), then 8km with a gradient of about 5/6/7. the site said it was a cat 2 but it basically didn't start until 8km in so I am a bit doubtful

• 2 weeks later...
On 13 December 2015 at 6:54 AM, derekfaejapan said:

Does anyone know of any places in or around Glasgow that you can rent road bikes from for a couple of weeks?

My mate and I had a disaster on Sunday.

We were doing the Glasgow to balloch and back route and he thought he was using my cyclocross bike and I was using my road bike, whilst I thought he was using his bike. We both travelled to Glasgow and found it to be two guys one bike as my road bike gears were getting tuned.

Anyways we contacted gear bikes on Gibson street in the west end and within 5 mins had a 6"7 guy kitted out with a ridgeback tourer for 20 quid 24 hour hire. Give them a shout mate. They were excellent. Not sure on the range of hire bikes they do but saved our day out big time.