Wanky Phrases - Page 20 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wanky Phrases

7 hours ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Football pundits who talk about the "Man Uniteds and the Chelseas of this world" - plural. Or the "Gareth Bales/Ronaldos". Why? There's ony one of each as far as I'm aware?

This was dealt with nicely here:

"It is what it is!" Got a new boss, who is admittedly a decent guy, but he comes out with this shite every day as if it's great wisdom. I don't think I'd ever heard it used until about a year ago, and the same goes for "baby shower".

I detest people saying "But...hey ho."

"Shout out to" is another.

Disconnect.

Since when was that accorded status as a noun?

Good Morning Scotland yesterday (Yes YOU David Henderson) used it NINE times. And Shereen Nanjiani compounded the felony thereafter by using it three times.

It isn't a noun and never has been.

The correct terminology is one of the following: at variance/at dissonance/incongruous etc etc etc.

Lazy journalism from our national broadcaster yet again.

On 02/07/2016 at 10:06 PM, mcnpauls said:

"It is what it is!" Got a new boss, who is admittedly a decent guy, but he comes out with this shite every day as if it's great wisdom. I don't think I'd ever heard it used until about a year ago, and the same goes for "baby shower".

I picked up "it is what it is" when living in canada, gf hates it when I say it......possibly do it to annoy her though

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 1:36 AM, mcnpauls said:

I must confess, in my office I am a serial offender with "we are where we are". Basically I use it to try and ensure no one tries to get to the underlying reason that we are in the mess we are in (ie mainly down to me) and to ensure everyone mucks in to get us back on track. I believe it is quite a common term in project management - at least when I am involved.

'They're a team. They're not a collection of individuals.'

Said by every football pundit when a perceived weaker team (e.g. Iceland)  beats the perceived stronger team (e.g. England). Words that conveniently get forgotten when the same weaker team (e.g. Iceland) then gets smashed in the next round (e.g. against France).

It's almost as if the original analysis by the pundits was massively over simplistic and lacking any real insight or intelligence. ;)

Just for the record, I'm not saying that teamwork, organisation, passion etc. aren't contributory factors to being successful, but the way that they get trotted out by pundits as if that's the solution or explanation for everything, is just ridiculous.

Wales were the poorer side against Northern Ireland, they lost to England, and they were fortunate to beat Slovakia in their first match. I'm not being critical of Wales, because that's tournament football. Even the team that wins the tournament rarely plays brilliantly in every game. I'm just not going to jump on the bandwagon of talking Wales up as if they're an amazing team because of their passion and teamwork etc. The Wales rugby union team also has passion, but that hasn't stopped them being thumped by the All Blacks the last 30 or more times the two teams have met!

51 minutes ago, derekfaejapan said:

Stop the world, I want to get off.

Seen this twice today on Facebook...Sounds so lame.

I'd happily throw anyone who came out with that off. 

2 hours ago, derekfaejapan said:

Stop the world, I want to get off.

Seen this twice today on Facebook...Sounds so lame.

The amount of shite folk post on Facebook is unbelievable.

I had stopped using it altogether for a while, as I realised I was reading a blow by blow account of the lives of about 5 folk that I barely spoke to at school.

:lol: