Snp Not Radical Enough... ? - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Snp Not Radical Enough... ?

Means I have to last an extra 6 months before upgrading my Audi.

Well for a man of your wealth I do not doubt it.

But the Aberdeen property market has "bubble" written all over it. It is so out of proportion to the rest of Scotland it stands out like a big.... yep bubble. Sooner or later it will pop and anyone who went big on a loan to buy property in the Deen is going to be possibly ruined (depends how deep they went). Or crippled. Either way it is not a great choice. The high paid audi driving execs like yourself will simply move onto some other country where the extraction economics ad up. You'll be fine I am sure. But Aberdeen cannot move so what happens to her when you all get relocated?

Which I assume the membership are furious about? Given the stick most of them (rightly) gave labour for not voting on trident...

Nah, it's all okay. The cult members follow on unquestioningly.

So, aaid, how do you feel about there not being a vote on banning fracking?

So, aaid, how do you feel about there not being a vote on banning fracking?

With the moratorium in place, a vote on an an outright ban at this point is moot. Im confident that when it comes to settle the moratorium it will result in an outright ban.

Edited by aaid

Isn't the problem that they can't prove the above?

You could say that about almost every industry on the planet. Doesn't stop us going after North sea oil and gas, or fish, or getting on a bus in the morning. Maybe we should just stay in bed all day? But don't forget that most folk die in bed, so that's maybe not the safest of things to do either.

Fracking has just got a bad name for itself.

Most folk that I have met who don't like the idea of fracking haven't the slightest idea how it works.

Money is the big motivator of fracking as opposed to energy supply, finding novel ways to find shit to burn isn't a route we should be taking or encouraging. Creating billions of gallons of toxic water in a difficult to control environment and dislodging materials like Radium also isn't behaviour I would be encouraging.

I don't think not knowing how fracking works is distinct to folk against it.

There was no motion calling for a complete ban on fracking.

Doesn't stop the BBC reporting on it though.

Interesting given the reporting....

I also notice that despite the tone of the C4 news as indicating that SNP had bottled it on the Land Reform bill, the conference membership actually voted it down so they are now having to go back to the drawing board:

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2015/10/17/the-snp-and-the-land-question/

Isn't this the sort of action that critics of the SNP are wanting from the membership?

Utterly fecking pathetic. They are losing the plot.

This, their continual council tax freezing and the new reduce business rate powers mean they'll not be getting either of my votes in 2016.

I think council tax is shockingly expensive when you consider that it is on top of income tax and NI.

It's over 1/3 of my rent.

I don't think not knowing how fracking works is distinct to folk against it.

That is very true. And applies to most folk at the SNP conference. Which is one reason why it would have been daft for them to make a decision one way or the other. A moratorium in the meantime would seem a sensible plan until they can have an adequate understanding of the situation. Which might be never.

I think council tax is shockingly expensive when you consider that it is on top of income tax and NI.

And the councils have been compensated for the freeze. In fact they have been paid too much, and still they moan about it.

I think that before the freeze is lifted, each council should have to tell us the maximum they are going to increase it by over the following 5 years. Council tax is a fairly small part of the councils budget (about 15% I think) but it is fairly large chunk of most households budgets.

I think it's a shite system too. I'd change it to a fairer one.

Freezing it is damaging public services.

With the moratorium in place, a vote on an an outright ban at this point is moot. Im confident that when it comes to settle the moratorium it will result in an outright ban.

So you don't think the SNP conference should've debated and voted on it.

I think it's a shite system too. I'd change it to a fairer one.

Freezing it is damaging public services.

Public services seem to be split between some folk working like crazy for no reward and others who have the easiest jobs going.

Anecdotal - one of my mates just moved from private to public sector never had such an easy time. Also on flexi-time which is unheard of in private sector same work area. Same cash.

I would think a reasonable move would be to change it to 1% of property value.

"Welcomed by campaigners as “a very big nail in the coffin for the unconventional gas and fracking industry in Scotland”, energy minister Fergus Ewing told the Scottish parliament on Wednesday afternoon that the moratorium would allow time for the government to launch a full public consultation on the controversial drilling technique, and to commission a full public health impact assessment."

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jan/28/scotland-announces-moratorium-on-fracking-for-shale-gas

So why would you vote on banning it before you get the results? That would be incredibly stupid no?

Edited by thplinth

Absolutely and assuming that you are accusing me of being a hypocrite - point out exactly where I have been.

I'm accusing every SNP member who attacked Labour for not voting on Trident, yet is backing this non-vote from the SNP a hypocrite.

Whether that is you or not, i have no idea.