Allison Street, Govanhill, Glasgow - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Allison Street, Govanhill, Glasgow

Side point; It is interesting how Glasgow has a huge stock of grand high ceiling mansion style flats in numerous areas of the city while Aberdeen in comparison is struggling to exhibit any. Pokey wee shithole flats in comparison costing much more.

That's neither interesting nor true.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glasgow properties are also generally far more attractive than their dull grey granite Aberdonian counterparts.

You could just say people not properties wolf. Glaswegians are world famous for their ebullient characters and cheery manner. sNOberdonians in comparison are world famous for their sour suck on a lemon demeanour and miserableness with money. This is reflected in the architecture of course. Plus remember until the turn of the 20th Century your average aberdonian was only 4 foot 3. It was when they got access to proper nutrition that they sprouted up a bit but this explains why for most of the doorways in Aberdeen you have to duck down when you go in.

Aberdonians confirmed as UK's biggest fists.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34527524

"By contrast, the people with the very best credit scores in Britain live in AB13, the Milltimber district of Aberdeen.
And that, if you believe the stereotypical joke about Aberdonian generosity, may not be a universal surprise."

My father was from Aberdeen, and a more generous man you couldn't wish to meet. I have a gold watch that belonged to him. He sold it to me on his deathbed. I wrote him a cheque for it, post dated of course.

Mox I grew up in Rutherglen,I stayed on Buttergiggins Road when I was 18/19 and then lived not far from Victoria Rd between 94-2010,i have mates that stay in Strathbungo,i played football in the area,went to the cueball back in the day ,Eglinton Toll cinema etc etc etc so I know what the area looked like then and what it looks like now.

I wish I shared your optimism mate but sadly I think it's went too far the other way

ps

I'll be over a week on Sunday for the Turner Prize at the Tramway (yes I'm that wanky) :wink2:

Mind Eglinton Toll cinema - used to go to the Saturday morning matinee's, My Mum used to have a wee dairy on Butterbiggins road, brought back memories with that post TJ !!

• 2 years later...

2 years on and the child neglect and sexual abuse continues on an unacceptable scheme.  It's utterly dreadful. It's our Rochdale scandal. These reports all mirror what ordinary people have experienced and repeat.  Drive down Allison and Calder Street's and you see the kids on the street. Meanwhile the "community champions" get £500k for some saunas and art installations at Govanhill Baths.

http://thetimes.co.uk/article/cb9df97c-cb1b-11e7-b529-95e3fc05f40f

6 hours ago, Alan said:

2 years on and the child neglect and sexual abuse continues on an unacceptable scheme.  It's utterly dreadful. It's our Rochdale scandal. These reports all mirror what ordinary people have experienced and repeat.  Drive down Allison and Calder Street's and you see the kids on the street. Meanwhile the "community champions" get £500k for some saunas and art installations at Govanhill Baths.

I Have never understood why money is pumped into schemes like you have mentioned when there  are more pressing needs.

Especially the millions spent keeping a dead language on life support.

On 18/10/2015 at 2:57 PM, thplinth said:

Aberdonians confirmed as UK's biggest fists.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34527524

"By contrast, the people with the very best credit scores in Britain live in AB13, the Milltimber district of Aberdeen.

And that, if you believe the stereotypical joke about Aberdonian generosity, may not be a universal surprise."

You do know where milltimber is, aye?

The kids are definitely sent out to collect money from strangers (or its part of their culture for kids to just do this).

Either way its a bit sad if you ask me.  I think the sex thing is a smear though.  Hope i'm not wrong and it's fully investigated.

I cannot agree using children to gather money in any circumstance is good behaviour and I don't care what anybody says.  I know what I am and what I am not.  It should be called out.

I would say, the backs in Govanhill are far better than they were so something is being done in that regard...but you can't always blame the council for poor standards.  

Edited by PapofGlencoe

On 17/11/2017 at 8:49 AM, Alan said:

Some amount of hyperbolic guff in that, although not surprising given it is The Times. 

On 17/11/2017 at 8:49 AM, Alan said:

I find it amazing that all these people including yourself know this has been going on but nobody seems to have gone to the Police but rather accepted it and moaned about it in pubs to reporters

And as for the reporters/journalists - what the fvck have they been doing the last 3 years ?