Squad For Next Campaign - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad For Next Campaign

g@un

g@un, on 12 Oct 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

I know we have just finished this campaign, but perhaps we can start to think about next time round? Basically who would be in your next WC 2018 squad?

I'll start this off, I've included age as of next September:

Possible 26 man squad vs. Malta

Gordon (33)

McGregor (34)

Marshall (31)

Hutton (31)

Caddis (28)

Robertson (22)

Shinnie (25)

Hanley (24)

Martin (30)

Wilson (24) - he may be playing top flight football if things continue, I still rate him.

Berra (31)

McArthur (28)

Dorrans (29)

Morrison (30)

Brown (31)

Mulgrew (30)

Gauld (20) - If he progresses

Ritchie (will have just turned 27)

Anya (28)

Forrest (25)

Snodgrass (will have just turned 29) - hopefully he is the same player as before, a sore miss last campaign

Fletcher (29)

Griffiths (26)

Rhodes (26)

Russell (26)

Naismith (will have just turned 30)

Average age of just under 28 so not too old.

Darren Fletcher may still be around, and younger players like Jack, MacLeod, Souttar, Bain, Fraser etc will all hopefully be there or thereabouts.

Would have been good to see some of these younger players in action for Scotland. If only we'd had an easy friendly this year against some pishy opponent where we could've blooded them under no pressure. Or even a dead-rubber qualifier after we'd been put out.

Oh...wait... We did have those but super-duper Gordon Strachan decided to play Scott Brown and Chris Martin. What worthwhile exercises. I'm sure we learned tonnes from that...

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hampden_roar, on 14 Oct 2015 - 1:23 PM, said:

Surely Armstrong and GMS will be in and around the squad? Would definitely have Armstrong in at the minute!

Nah man, we need to keep playing the same players who've done nothing but fail. We must use dead rubbers and friendlies not to try out new players but to keep playing the same guys who we already know inside out!!

I know we have just finished this campaign, but perhaps we can start to think about next time round? Basically who would be in your next WC 2018 squad?

I'll start this off, I've included age as of next September:

Possible 26 man squad vs. Malta

Gordon (33)

McGregor (34)

Marshall (31)

Hutton (31)

Caddis (28)

Robertson (22)

Shinnie (25)

Hanley (24)

Martin (30)

Wilson (24) - he may be playing top flight football if things continue, I still rate him.

Berra (31)

McArthur (28)

Dorrans (29)

Morrison (30)

Brown (31)

Mulgrew (30)

Gauld (20) - If he progresses

Ritchie (will have just turned 27)

Anya (28)

Forrest (25)

Snodgrass (will have just turned 29) - hopefully he is the same player as before, a sore miss last campaign

Fletcher (29)

Griffiths (26)

Rhodes (26)

Russell (26)

Naismith (will have just turned 30)

Average age of just under 28 so not too old.

Darren Fletcher may still be around, and younger players like Jack, MacLeod, Souttar, Bain, Fraser etc will all hopefully be there or thereabouts.

Caddis and Wilson arent good enough, agree with Midfield players use for next campaign but cant ignore Kevin McDonald and Scott Arfield both 26 and think we should build our midfield around them and McArthur as we need to look to the future now.

Up front only other player i would have in the squad would be ross mccormack who you have missed i think he offers something different that rest dont have.

We are struggling with young centre halfs and a young right back, we need to try find some gems to replace Hutton and Martin eventually.

Would like to see Tom Cairney involved at some point, dont know if he has changed his mind about playing for us a senior level though

Do you have reason to think he has? ^^

I imagine Ryan Fraser will be pushing for inclusion in the squad if his recent form is anything to go by.

Players that can haff players so that if the England game gets beyond us, we start haffing English players all over the pitch. Wham bam, ping, pong, pow..doosh etc…

If we get 3 red cards so be it. We can always replace the suspended players.

Those suspended players will be back in time for the next England game so we can haff some more again.

(haffing only happens if the game is out of sight. If we are winning we don’t haff)

Time to see what the likes of Phillips, Ryan Jack, Mackey Steven, Armstrong, shinnie etc can do. Hopefully snodgrass comes back as the same player he was prior to injury. We seem to be afraid to give anyone new an opportunity unless they play in the EPL.

No point sticking with the same players because they haven't done the business so far.

Where we severely lack is in defence, did we have another right back that we could give a chance to? perhaps the U21 RB deserves a call up because Hutton is honking. One thing I would do is start MacArthur in every match when he's fit, I think he will give much better protection to the back 4 than any of our midfielders.

May is rubbish.

I wish people would stop putting GMS forward too. Not good enough.

I agree - the love affair on this board for Mackay-Steven is truly astonishing. Is 25 and has done nothing of any note - and is nowhere good enough for what is currently a poor Celtic team

And May is sadly yet another Scottish player that looked decent in the SPFL but just not good enough

I agree - the love affair on this board for Mackay-Steven is truly astonishing. Is 25 and has done nothing of any note - and is nowhere good enough for what is currently a poor Celtic team

And May is sadly yet another Scottish player that looked decent in the SPFL but just not good enough

That could be Forrest you're describing.

Can not see the squad changing to much next campaign (maybe a freshen up here and there, and granted maybe a player found through the Granny rule) as the core of the squad is still the right side of 30, and looking forward there is no real bright hope who will break in straight away.

Maybe a couple of new faces will start making squads more regularly, but no major changes set to happen.