Golfers Forum. - Page 6 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

Using a Ping Glide at the moment - good club.

What putters do you boys use?

After 'Theftgate', I couldn't get the one I had nicked, but they gave me an Oddysey Works Versa, which is bloody marvellous. Beautiful touch to it.

Still got a Two Ball from 10 years ago. If I ever do change it will just be for an up to date version of that.

One tip I was given from a pro a few years ago is make sure you get your putter cut to size. Very often players are using putters that are too long for them. Makes a noticeable difference to your touch. I was always quite bad for 3 putting from distance and anything over 4 feet I wasn't confident of holing. Made a huge difference to both when I got my putter sized correctly.

Edited by Angus_Young

I use a putter which I bought out of intersport for £4.99 about 20 years ago. I only bought that because some khunt stole my old one. Putting is the best part of my game. Anybody who spends a fortune on a putter is aff their heads IMO.

I agree with Angus. If anybody is a poor putter, one of the first things they should think about doing is chopping 3 inches off their putter. Don't chop 3" off your chopper by mistake though. That would be counter productive.

Using a Ping Glide at the moment - good club.

What putters do you boys use?

After 'Theftgate', I couldn't get the one I had nicked, but they gave me an Oddysey Works Versa, which is bloody marvellous. Beautiful touch to it.

09F1948C-41E6-4B04-805D-7FC65A56CE86_zps

This for me.

I was all callaway before,had a Big Bertha 460cc driver and x18 irons.

Tried a couple of callaway drivers before I got my sldr,but found them a lot heavier than taylor made.

I did like the x18's a lot.

Very forgiving.

09F1948C-41E6-4B04-805D-7FC65A56CE86_zps

This for me.

I was all callaway before,had a Big Bertha 460cc driver and x18 irons.

Tried a couple of callaway drivers before I got my sldr,but found them a lot heavier than taylor made.

I did like the x18's a lot.

Very forgiving.

I had the x 16's and had to get rid of them. Found them very difficult to control for the same reason. Obviously designed to get the ball up and away even when you don't hit it well.

Feel sorry for Marc Warren this morning. Top 50 in the rankings today qualify for the masters. He moved up to 51st.

Hopefully that would mean he's high on the list of reserves (although I don't know if Augusta do a reserve list or not?)

Was playing with this boy this morning in, basically a phuqqing tornado.

Obviously low / punch shots were the order of the day.

I was always taught to put ball back in stance, keep hands forward at impact and drill it through.

This guy (off 2) does the exact opposite. Ball well in front, almost past his left foot. You want to see the results - fantastic. The ball rarely got above 6ft from the deck and he hit most greens in regulation. He maintains if you catch it at the point the clubhead is going up, you connect with the upper level of the ball - in effect millimetres from topping it. Takes some skill, but the results are tremendous.

I think it was Neil Coles or John Jacobs or some other auld geezer that used to do that with a 4 wood into the wind. He maintained that you had to hit the ball with the sole of the club about half way up the ball. Just a baw hair away from topping it.

When I'm playing into the wind I just try to hit the ball as normal and accept that sometimes I'll need an extra shot to reach the green.

When playing into the wind, don't hit it harder, hit it better

I think it was Neil Coles or John Jacobs or some other auld geezer that used to do that with a 4 wood into the wind. He maintained that you had to hit the ball with the sole of the club about half way up the ball. Just a baw hair away from topping it.

When I'm playing into the wind I just try to hit the ball as normal and accept that sometimes I'll need an extra shot to reach the green.

Good shout that, Orra. I believe it was indeed auld baldy Coles.

Sage advice indeed. As a man who used to play his golf entirely on parkland courses but who for the past 5 years has been living on the Moray coast, I've had to learn a completely different way of hitting the ball.

Sage advice indeed. As a man who used to play his golf entirely on parkland courses but who for the past 5 years has been living on the Moray coast, I've had to learn a completely different way of hitting the ball.

AS a season starter, four of us heading up to Moray on Sunday for the Open Scramble. Using it as a wee bit of practice for the Lossie 5 Day Open in July. Great week.

AS a season starter, four of us heading up to Moray on Sunday for the Open Scramble. Using it as a wee bit of practice for the Lossie 5 Day Open in July. Great week.

Love the Old Tom Morris trail up here, some great courses, including Moray Old. I'm a member at Hopeman just along the road. Cracking wee course with fantastic views on the back nine. Give it a try if you haven't already. Edited by redstevie007

Love the Old Tom Morris trail up here, some great courses, including Moray Old. I'm a member at Hopeman just along the road. Cracking wee course with fantastic views on the back nine. Give it a try if you haven't already.

Have played Hopeman a good few times, normally having just been binned out of the Moray Open! Agree - great wee course and always seems to be a decent nick. Very tight in places but hugely enjoyable....with one of the most amazing Par 3's you will play anywhere in the world - must be about a 360 yard wedge!

Have to admit, since giving up the bevvy, I'm on fire the now. Was -2 after 12 yesterday, but made a James Hunt of things by trying to cut a dog-leg on 13 and ended up in the Scottish equivalent of the Amazon.

Not trying to get you off the wagon, but after a hearty lunch and a good few beverages, I was -1 at the turn in the Autumn Meeting on Balgownie last season. Sobered up a bit (and turned back into the wind), but held onto a 74 which was level CSS on the day. I seem to play ok bevvied up! Not sure I'd want to make a habit of it though - swing thought on the first tee, in front of clubhouse, was "dinna fall over".

Have played Hopeman a good few times, normally having just been binned out of the Moray Open! Agree - great wee course and always seems to be a decent nick. Very tight in places but hugely enjoyable....with one of the most amazing Par 3's you will play anywhere in the world - must be about a 360 yard wedge!

Aye, that's 'Prieshach'. Actually only 140 or so from the back tee but with a drop to the green about the same. Depending on wind, I've hit the whole bag over the years except putter and driver :lol: Paul Lawrie calls it one of the best par 3's in golf.

Not trying to get you off the wagon, but after a hearty lunch and a good few beverages, I was -1 at the turn in the Autumn Meeting on Balgownie last season. Sobered up a bit (and turned back into the wind), but held onto a 74 which was level CSS on the day. I seem to play ok bevvied up! Not sure I'd want to make a habit of it though - swing thought on the first tee, in front of clubhouse, was "dinna fall over".

Sign of a good player.

Brian Barnes made a living out of it!

Having witnessed it personally at a pro-am at Cathkin Braes GC, it was a can of Tennents.

He had a phuqq off carry-oot in his bag and had to wear his waterproofs to make room for it (the sun was splitting the sky). In fairness to his caddy, he helped him in the tanning of said carry-oot.

Having witnessed it personally at a pro-am at Cathkin Braes GC, it was a can of Tennents.

He had a phuqq off carry-oot in his bag and had to wear his waterproofs to make room for it (the sun was splitting the sky). In fairness to his caddy, he helped him in the tanning of said carry-oot.

Aye, probably a different tournament. Don't think he was too fussy. One of the big competitions was sponsored by DD. They got their moneys worth of advertising from Barnes alone. He was never without a can of DD in his hand.

Anyway, he is not the sort of person you should model your golf career on. :lol: Stay sober, stay safe. You know it makes sense.