Golfers Forum. - Page 37 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

23 hours ago, aljay said:

Bought the single-length Cobras.  Early days yet with only 4 rounds under my belt.  However, all rounds have been under handicap and I'm loving them.  

Also, the dry weather has the courses in Central Scotland in brilliant condition for this time of year.  Firm fairways and fast greens = happy days.

I can see the long irons being easier but I'm not so sure about the shorter ones, do you find both ends of the set OK and are distances about the same as your old set?

Apparently some people are buying single length for 4-7 irons, then shorter ones for 8-wedges for exactly that reason.

There's a bit more to it than just the single length.  The long irons (or I should say "long" irons) are weighted and cavity backed to make up for the shorter arc and slower impact speed.  Lower speed at impact = better control, and the weight/technology takes care of the distance satisfactorily.  

At the other end, the PW and GW are basically blades.  I've had no problems with them being longer, not hitting them heavy or anything.  The extra inches give extra "choke down" ability as the distances drop.

I had the clubs custom-fitted, 2.0 upright and with lightweight steel shafts.  End result is that they all fly at least a club further than my Ping Gs did.  And land softer.  I'm still getting used to the distances - I've hit through a few greens while I get my head around them but that's a nice problem to have.

Definitely clean-striking clubs and they definitely remove complication from the game.  

They would also be a big hit in Larkhall.  Have you seen the colour of the grips?

3 hours ago, aljay said:

Apparently some people are buying single length for 4-7 irons, then shorter ones for 8-wedges for exactly that reason.

There's a bit more to it than just the single length.  The long irons (or I should say "long" irons) are weighted and cavity backed to make up for the shorter arc and slower impact speed.  Lower speed at impact = better control, and the weight/technology takes care of the distance satisfactorily.  

At the other end, the PW and GW are basically blades.  I've had no problems with them being longer, not hitting them heavy or anything.  The extra inches give extra "choke down" ability as the distances drop.

I had the clubs custom-fitted, 2.0 upright and with lightweight steel shafts.  End result is that they all fly at least a club further than my Ping Gs did.  And land softer.  I'm still getting used to the distances - I've hit through a few greens while I get my head around them but that's a nice problem to have.

Definitely clean-striking clubs and they definitely remove complication from the game.  

They would also be a big hit in Larkhall.  Have you seen the colour of the grips?

The grass on the golf course is still green so I'm grips would be OK.

I'm going to get custom fitting this year and thought about these or your old Pings or the Titlelist 716 AP1's

43 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Have you ever seen as much crap as this golf sixes ?

Vinnie Jones giving it "pwoppa" as he hit a tee shot which misses the green.

Dreadful viewing.

Haven't seen a ball struck.  

Zero interest in watching it. 

9 minutes ago, macy37 said:

You've missed nothing.  Course looks ok mind.

Where is it? The only novelty golf I'll watch is the par 3 comp at Augusta. Pro-am's especially do my tits in. 

36 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Where is it? The only novelty golf I'll watch is the par 3 comp at Augusta. Pro-am's especially do my tits in. 

Centurion Club I think it is down in deepest England.

36 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Centurion Club I think it is down in deepest England.

28 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

My front 9 yesterday went par, par, bogey, par, quintuple bogey, treble bogey then I sort of gave in

On of the older guys in the club congratulated him and said he's done that too,on the way out :rollsmile:

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

My mate set the course record at Kings Links last night with a 63 playing off of 4. 

31 out and 32 back.

I didn't realise the 6-holer was still open.

• 2 weeks later...

Played 103 golf courses last year while I was living in Newcastle - back down in Blackpool now so bagging some courses in North West - up to 39 for the year. Favourite one while in North east of England was Bamburgh Castle in Northumberland. Loved the course and stunning views as well.

Came up to Scotland for a week a couple of weeks ago  -played the following :-

Moffat - loved it - probs a bit too easy for a big hitter.

Carnwath - too many par 3s at 240 yards with raised greens - second course of day - just a bit too hard for me.

Cawder -my mate a member  -excellent course.

Dullater in Cumbernauld - enjoyed this one .

Routenburn in Largs - just a portakabin instead of clubhouse - one of fav ever courses - absolutely loved it plus the scenery is second to none.

Largs - another belter

Monifieth - my mate also a country member here - quality track - bit difficult when breezy.

Helensburgh - another cheapo on teeofftimes website -really enjoyed it -again great views.

Buchanan Castle (Drymen) - lovely walk - great condition  -very flat

Balmore  -lovely course

Littlehill (Glasgow muni) - bit of nostalgia with my first ever course when I was about 13 - what a fookin experience this time - 20 teenagers havin a party on one of the medal tees - then taking turns racing round the course on a quad bike   -then the greenkeeper chasing forlornly in his truck/buggie. Not in great condition  -but a tough course all the same.

Going on a billy nomates drive round the Highlands in June -staying in Fort William, Ullapool, Durness, Thurso, Inverness and Kingussie - be taking in a few courses on that route.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/05/2017 at 6:44 PM, irnbruman said:

Played 103 golf courses last year while I was living in Newcastle - back down in Blackpool now so bagging some courses in North West - up to 39 for the year. Favourite one while in North east of England was Bamburgh Castle in Northumberland. Loved the course and stunning views as well.

Came up to Scotland for a week a couple of weeks ago  -played the following :-

Moffat - loved it - probs a bit too easy for a big hitter.

Carnwath - too many par 3s at 240 yards with raised greens - second course of day - just a bit too hard for me.

Cawder -my mate a member  -excellent course.

Dullater in Cumbernauld - enjoyed this one .

Routenburn in Largs - just a portakabin instead of clubhouse - one of fav ever courses - absolutely loved it plus the scenery is second to none.

Largs - another belter

Monifieth - my mate also a country member here - quality track - bit difficult when breezy.

Helensburgh - another cheapo on teeofftimes website -really enjoyed it -again great views.

Buchanan Castle (Drymen) - lovely walk - great condition  -very flat

Balmore  -lovely course

Littlehill (Glasgow muni) - bit of nostalgia with my first ever course when I was about 13 - what a fookin experience this time - 20 teenagers havin a party on one of the medal tees - then taking turns racing round the course on a quad bike   -then the greenkeeper chasing forlornly in his truck/buggie. Not in great condition  -but a tough course all the same.

Going on a billy nomates drive round the Highlands in June -staying in Fort William, Ullapool, Durness, Thurso, Inverness and Kingussie - be taking in a few courses on that route.

I used to utterly despise Bamburgh because of the blind shots and climbs. The goat track I called it.

I love it now, really enjoy it. I used to play it in high level tournaments and was always blaming it as I felt I always hit the ball well with little positive return but now I barely play serious golf and simply enjoy a knock with mates and really enjoy the course. The views are incredible. The ones from the 15th tee and 17th tee are phenomenal.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Flora MaDonald said:

Nearing the end of term. How's everyone's season been? 

Connor Syme is doing awright. 15th equal at the Dunhill. Last I heard, he was trying to get an invite to the Spanish Open this week. Doesn't look like he's managed it yet though as I can see his name on the list of entrants.

At a slightly less glamorous level, I've managed to get my handicap down from 16.6 to 14.4 - happy with that. :ok:

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Connor Syme is doing awright. 15th equal at the Dunhill. Last I heard, he was trying to get an invite to the Spanish Open this week. Doesn't look like he's managed it yet though as I can see his name on the list of entrants.

At a slightly less glamorous level, I've managed to get my handicap down from 16.6 to 14.4 - happy with that. :ok:

Well done, old son. Getting down by 2 is no mean feat. 

2 minutes ago, Flora MaDonald said:

Well done, old son. Getting down by 2 is no mean feat. 

It's 3 shots off my playing handicap. I deliberately missed the last medal of the year to make sure I stayed at 14.4, so that I can start next season at 14. I'll also be able to bore folk all winter by telling them I took 3 shots off my handicap last season.

I'll almost definitely start my second round, next season, off 15 though.:lol:

Just now, Orraloon said:

It's 3 shots off my playing handicap. I deliberately missed the last medal of the year to make sure I stayed at 14.4, so that I can start next season at 14. I'll also be able to bore folk all winter by telling them I took 3 shots off my handicap last season.

I'll almost definitely start my second round, next season, off 15 though.:lol:

Ye'r a bandit, Orra ! 

23 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That bit should have said "can't" but I must have had a premonition as I've just heard that he has got an invite. Hopefully he can make three cuts in a row which would be a fantastic start to his professional career.

9 minutes ago, Flora MaDonald said:

I wish Connor well. It's nae easy turning pro. An old mate of mine won everything in the amateur game, but as soon as he turned pro, it went tits up. 

His next big challenge will be trying to get his tour card, which wont be easy.