Injury Watch - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Injury Watch

kmcca5

People who think Steven Fletcher is "shite" don't understand football.

Because you dont think he should be playing is not necessarily because you think he is rubbish. It could be because you think there are better options at the moment. A lot of the time we need to battle out results because in the big scheme of things we are not good enough a football team to do otherwise, and he isnt a good fit for that type of play. We have better options.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to wikipedia:

Years Team Apps† (Gls)† 2004–2009 Hibernian 156 (43) 2009–2010 Burnley 35 (8) 2010–2012 Wolverhampton Wanderers 61 (22) 2012– Sunderland 82 (20 National team‡2007 Scotland U20[2] 6 (1) 2006–2008 Scotland U21 7 (5) 2007 Scotland B[3] 1 (0) 2008– Scotland[4] 23 (4)

Jordan Rhodes

Team Apps† (Gls)† 2007–2009 Ipswich Town 10 (1) 2007 → Oxford United (loan) 4 (0) 2008 → Rochdale (loan) 5 (2) 2009 → Brentford (loan) 14 (7) 2009–2012 Huddersfield Town 124 (73) 2012– Blackburn Rovers 134 (73) National team 2011–2012 Scotland U21 8 (8) 2011– Scotland 13 (3

Chris Martin

Team Apps† (Gls)† 2006–2013 Norwich City 102 (25) 2008–2009 → Luton Town (loan) 40 (11) 2011–2012 → Crystal Palace (loan) 26 (7) 2012–2013 → Swindon Town (loan) 12 (1) 2013 → Derby County (loan) 13 (2) 2013– Derby County 89 (45) National team‡2007 England U19 4 (2) 2014– Scotland 6 (0

Now be honest, who would you want to start upfront

Cannot miss mulgrew,morrison and maloney.bring in fletcher and keep with macarthur but where does creativeness come from?be it non to apparent in recent matches,but still.who do bring in?missing Steven fletcher could be the reason we actually start scoring goals.

Edited by allyc

Aye, he is not utter shite, good at the linkup play. Problem is we need to win against Poland so need someone to step up and score.

That has been Maloney a few times in this campaign, but we need that from somewhere else if he is injured.

His link up play is pish. Martin 'linked up' more in 5 minutes than Fletcher did in the double header.

Mulgrew is poor at left back. We all know that. But he has arguably been our best player each and every time he has played at centre mid over the course of the last couple of years. I just don't get why anyone could say differently. Calm, composed, rational, progressive, capable of a killer pass and a great proponent of the dead ball. We will miss him. He is a better option in midfield than fletcher or brown, currently and we are already missing Morrison.

Equally so this fletcher is pish chat, as others have muted, is ludicrous. Yes he has missed a few good chances for us, generally by going with his left when his right is the better option, but he is by far and away our most talented forward, I use the description forward with consideration rather than striker. Naismith may do a job up there but he is better suited, in my opinion, to the left sided supporting attacking player where he has excelled at Everton and for us in the past (and recent Chelsea game)

I'm not saying I'm right and anyone with a different opinion is wrong but it's amazing how differently people can perceive player's abilities and influences they have.

According to wikipedia: Years Team Apps (Gls) 20042009 Hibernian 156 (43) 20092010 Burnley 35 (8) 20102012 Wolverhampton Wanderers 61 (22) 2012 Sunderland 82 (20 National team 2007 Scotland U20[2] 6 (1) 20062008 Scotland U21 7 (5) 2007 Scotland B[3] 1 (0) 2008 Scotland[4] 23 (4)

Jordan Rhodes

Team Apps (Gls) 20072009 Ipswich Town 10 (1) 2007 → Oxford United (loan) 4 (0) 2008 → Rochdale (loan) 5 (2) 2009 → Brentford (loan) 14 (7) 20092012 Huddersfield Town 124 (73) 2012 Blackburn Rovers 134 (73) National team 20112012 Scotland U21 8 (8) 2011 Scotland 13 (3

Chris Martin

Team Apps (Gls) 20062013 Norwich City 102 (25) 20082009 → Luton Town (loan) 40 (11) 20112012 → Crystal Palace (loan) 26 (7) 20122013 → Swindon Town (loan) 12 (1) 2013 → Derby County (loan) 13 (2) 2013 Derby County 89 (45) National team 2007 England U19 4 (2) 2014 Scotland 6 (0

Now be honest, who would you want to start upfront

Fletcher.

Fletcher has an abundance of ability but unfortunately isn't showing enough of it for Scotland for me. Its not entirely his fault though as he is playing up front on his own with players behind him who haven't been giving him enough service.

For the Poland game we need 11 boys who are hungry to play for the shirt. Naismith has to be brought back in, D Fletcher, McArthur, Anya & Griffiths should start as well.

There is no denying Strachan picks his squad based on familiarity which has proved (for the most part) successful but I think we are starting to look stale of late with the same 13-14 players being picked under the same formation every game.

Freshening things up against Poland might just be the kick up the backside we've all been waiting for....

Fletcher set up goal in Germany and first goal in Poland - can hardly call his link up play p1sh against those opponents.

Aye but one of those over a year ago and the other not far short of it.

I don't think he's shite - but I think do I think we should looking at alternatives now. His goalscoring return for us is beyond woeful.

I tend to think Fletcher will start against Poland (barring injury), but I would be disappointed if Rhodes isn't even in the squad. Say its 0-0 (or worse!) with 25 minutes left, surely no one on here would be wanting us to continue with Fletcher up top on his own. We'd have to go two up front and if you do that presumably you'd want one of those two to be a proven goalscorer.

On that note I actually think that when Strachan picks his squads he should be thinking about substitutions that can change a game for us (e.g. bringing on someone like GMS with 20 minutes to go in Tblisi would have gave us a whole new dimension that night)

Aye but one of those over a year ago and the other not far short of it.

I don't think he's shite - but I think do I think we should looking at alternatives now. His goalscoring return for us is beyond woeful.

I tend to think Fletcher will start against Poland (barring injury), but I would be disappointed if Rhodes isn't even in the squad. Say its 0-0 (or worse!) with 25 minutes left, surely no one on here would be wanting us to continue with Fletcher up top on his own. We'd have to go two up front and if you do that presumably you'd want one of those two to be a proven goalscorer.

On that note I actually think that when Strachan picks his squads he should be thinking about substitutions that can change a game for us (e.g. bringing on someone like GMS with 20 minutes to go in Tblisi would have gave us a whole new dimension that night)

I think that if it's 0-0 with 25 minutes left then as long as Ireland aren't getting anything from Germany we're more likely to see Strachan putting on a couple of defenders rather than a second striker.

Edited by wee-toon-red

Righto mate. Tell that to my wife and my bank account.

Clown.

Don't go then. So called fans like you won't be missed. Wishing injury on anyone is the sign of a complete arse but when it's your own players then no words can describe you.

We won't miss Mulgrew or Maloney.

Aye, just the 3 goals for Maloney this campaign - plus it was his free kick that Hummels scored as an OG - and his shot that was counted as an O'Shea OG - AND his shot credited as an OG vs Georgia at Ibrox.

But *other* than those six goals he's had a hand in - and whatever goals he's assisted - he's done nothing this campaign.

Turning into the Monty Python Romans sketch here...

Aye, just the 3 goals for Maloney this campaign - plus it was his free kick that Hummels scored as an OG - and his shot that was counted as an O'Shea OG - AND his shot credited as an OG vs Georgia at Ibrox.

But *other* than those six goals he's had a hand in - and whatever goals he's assisted - he's done nothing this campaign.

Turning into the Monty Python Romans sketch here...

7 goals?

2 v Gibraltar, Poland away, Ireland at home, 3 shots that took deflections v Georgia, Ireland and Germany.