3Rd Place - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3Rd Place

scotsgary1

You need to look at the whole campaign.

Every team has had a bed spell.

We have had ours as Gordon says this is far from over.

Point is we do not want to going into a must-win match on the run we are. It is far from ideal. That aside look to my earlier post for positivity. After back-to-back defeats though it is only natural there will be doubts in all Scotland fans now including you.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were average against the republic in Dublin,average against Gibraltar,utter mince against Georgia and hardly laid a finger on Germany

We laid two fingers on them, and had a corner in the last second which could have led to an equaliser, just as we had in Dortmund if we had been allowed to take it. Of course losing to anyone is bad but remaining competitive throughout both matches against the world champs cannot be bad for a country of Scotland's stature. We gotta remain realistic and positive.

Poland is our biggest game since Italy in 2007.

Take the game to them like we did against Zambrotta and co and previously against Ukraine we'll win, no problem.

Play lethargically like we did against Georgia home and away and we're done.

If I were the Polish boss I know how I'd set the team up - defensively and designed to play on the counter-attack. We have yet to look confident/competent or have a game plan against teams of that ilk.

If I were the Polish boss I know how I'd set the team up - defensively and designed to play on the counter-attack. We have yet to look confident/competent or have a game plan against teams of that ilk.

Aye, I think that is what they will do. A point is good for them and setting up to counter attack gives them a decent chance of a victory. There wont be much pressure on them either, as they will be fairly confident that they can beat Ireland if they have to. My worry is how we are going to break them down, but they are weak in central defence. I want to see both Hanley and Martin going up for corners and free kicks. They could be our best chance of a goal - if we can find somebody who can put a decent ball into the box that is.

What we lack now is creative mildfielders. We don't create enough chances. That's mainly why Fletcher / Griffiths / Naismith / Martin / Rhodes / ... won't score.

I definitely agree on your first point and second point but that does not fully explain why Griffiths and Martin don't score (not international standard in my opinion) and Rhodes (goal poacher and little else so won't get goals in our side).

You could argue apart from Fletcher none of them have really had a proper chance

You could but lets look at it and say a lot of us have gut instinct who is up to the job and who isn't. We know many on here say Forrest isn't up to it and likewise I say Griffiths, Martin and Rhodes aren't. They have had their chances now and again and not taken the chance to prove me wrong and the real clue is that none of those are being touted for signing for clubs playing at higher levels.

The only way I could see them being goal-getters for us is a change of tactics and playing style and introduction of an international quality play-maker in our midfield to carve out chances for them.

It's only possible if Ireland don't win their 2 remaining games and we win ours, simple. I know there are other permutations eg but we still have to do better than Ireland, still hoping we can make it.

Germany only need a point to qualify, though in theory we could draw our last 2 games which would be pretty decent results and not qualify

Few twists and turns left

think your right but I would rather be in Irelands position wae the points in the bank

It's only possible if Ireland don't win their 2 remaining games and we win ours, simple. I know there are other permutations eg but we still have to do better than Ireland, still hoping we can make it.

No we don't. In fact if Ireland beat Germany we need them to beat Poland as well. If both Ireland and Scotland both win our last 2 games Ireland get 2nd and we get 3rd.

Edited by Orraloon