Bring On The Poles - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bring On The Poles

Doric

can't wait . win or bust. Biggest game since the Italy game. Play like we did tonight and we will do it bringing it down to the wire in Faro. Ireland will never get 3 points from germany and Poland.

Agreed. On the whole, I think it's probably still, marginally, more likely we'll be third ahead of Ireland. They're at home to Germany and then away to Poland - I think there's a good chance they'll get no points in those games, although how motivated the Germans will be to hammer the bus they're going to park in front of their goal is unclear. At the same time, I think there's a slightly better chance we can win both our games.

That's on paper. But given how Im feeling after the last couple of games, Im less confident than I would have been of beating Poland and whether we have the mentality to go and beat Gibraltar with huge pressure and expectation.

All things being equal I think you'd rather be in our shoes that Ireland's. However, the inequality is that we've been shyte since beating Ireland and so I'm not confident in the slightest of taking anything off Poland as they're better than anyone we played between the Ireland game at Parkhead and last night.

We need to defend a lot better if we're going to beat the highest scorers in the group who have one of the worlds best strikers at their disposal.

We can win, whether we do or not is another matter but should be a good atmosphere. That should help the players.

We need to defend a lot better if we're going to beat the highest scorers in the group who have one of the worlds best strikers at their disposal.

We can win, whether we do or not is another matter but should be a good atmosphere. That should help the players.

In fairness, Poland have scored 23 against Georgia and Gibraltar. Their goals for/against us, Germany and Ireland is exactly neutral 2-2, 3-3 and 1-1.

As for the Irish, they weren't great against Gibraltar and weren't great against Georgia so I'd fully expect Germany to batter them.

That said, if the Irish get anything from their game with Germany then they deserve to finish above us.

Regardless if Ireland beat Germany??

If Ireland beat Germany, we'd need Ireland to then beat Poland for us to get third if we win our last two games (going ahead of Poland on head to head). Likelyhood would be Ireland will play for a draw.

If Ireland beat Germany, we'd need Ireland to then beat Poland for us to get third if we win our last two games (going ahead of Poland on head to head). Likelyhood would be Ireland will play for a draw.

Aye the Irish would only need a draw to be 2nd in those circumstances...

Might get shot down for this but I don't think Poland are THAT great. I suppose the biggest difference is they have a world class striker whereas we are miles away from a player of Lewandowkis quality.

We matched them in Warsaw and should have won tbh. They had a really good spell at the end as they had all the momentum after equalising but I believe we can beat them.

Patience is key, if we simply hoof it up and play kick and rush we shouldn't turn up.

we kept the ball well there especially in the first half. The first goal we scored in Warsaw was in my opinion, better than Maloney's goal against Ireland.

Edited by Pete Gas

Aye the Irish would only need a draw to be 2nd in those circumstances...

Ideal option for ireland is for ye and Poland to draw and us somehow getting a draw against the Germans.

That wud allow us to go to Poland looking for a win which guarantee us 2nd place but worst case if we lost due to pushing forward and going for the win....we wud still be guaranteed a playoff spot

One good thing I suppose is that we go into that game knowing exactly what we need to do - win. Poland are in a stick or twist type situation. A draw they'd probably be happy enough with but they'd want the win. That sort of puts doubts into their mind on how to play it. Poland look decent in attack but in defence they are also more susceptible than Germany who we have scored three goals against in this campaign. For that reason I'd be gobsmacked if it ends up 0-0.

As for the make-up to our side then I can't see it being too different to the ones we have had throughout this campaign.