Strachan - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan

hawickta

Throughout this campaign, like most others, I have been completely behind him. The odd strange selection (Forsyth and Ritchie in Dublin) aside, he has been extremely consistent and kept us on track to qualify for the first time in umpteen years. Tonight however, we were abjectly abysmal. No fight, desire, no heart. This can be put down to a number of reasons; playing a long way from home, the heat, start of the domestic season, whatever. I can stomach that, What I cannot bare is the post-match nonsense from Strachan, and to a lesser extent Scott Brown. Saying we deserved not to lose this game, saying we weren't too bad. This type of guff typifies why we haven't qualified for so long. Where was the passion? The honesty? FFS tell us like it us, be honest and say how bad we actually were, show a bit of backbone. Fed up...

Agreed that the interview was just rambling nonsense. I presume he was still in a bit of shock and hadn't really processed his perspective on it. He wouldn't want to say something about the players that he'd regret later though, so these post game interviews are never going to be too insightful. Hopefully he figures out what to tell the players in private.

Scott Brown's attempt to put a positive spin on the events almost made me puke though. "Naisy says the ball's managed to go in the net", "we had some nice one-twos", etc.

Don't think it was as bad a performance as some are making out albeit the result was awful. First 25 mins we were the better side. Naismith nearly got in a couple of times and couple of incisive moves down the right which ended in poor Hutton delivery. If Fletcher scores with his chance I don't doubt we would have won the game. The game then got bitty and we seemed to drop off and lose concentration. Brown was culpable for the goal although he got no help from the dreadful Morrison who turned In one of the most dreadful individual displays in a Scotland shirt since perhaps Caldwell snr in Oslo. He must be dropped for Fletcher against Germany. The 2nd half we struggled to get going and their was no drive from the middle of the park. Anya struggled and seemed to run out of gas. Maloney probed but had little help or movement. Mulgrew throws in a terrific delivery which glances off a georgian boot into the keeper's hands denying a tapin at the back stick. Again small margins like the Fletcher chance. We came on strong last few minutes but couldn't find a goal. We weren't far of it but with Morrison,Brown ana Anya well below par we lacked a bit spark. BIG selection decision for the wee man for Monday. I would change Morrison and Anya with Fletcher and Forrest. Perhaps the central striking position also but not with Griffiths who just lacks a bit all round for this game.

Throughout this campaign, like most others, I have been completely behind him. The odd strange selection (Forsyth and Ritchie in Dublin) aside, he has been extremely consistent and kept us on track to qualify for the first time in umpteen years. Tonight however, we were abjectly abysmal. No fight, desire, no heart. This can be put down to a number of reasons; playing a long way from home, the heat, start of the domestic season, whatever. I can stomach that, What I cannot bare is the post-match nonsense from Strachan, and to a lesser extent Scott Brown. Saying we deserved not to lose this game, saying we weren't too bad. This type of guff typifies why we haven't qualified for so long. Where was the passion? The honesty? FFS tell us like it us, be honest and say how bad we actually were, show a bit of backbone. Fed up...

This seemed odd, as usually he says things that chime with reality

You could argue we were playing a patient game and not so different from some other games where we just scraped a goal but this time didn't. However the lack of shots on target, the lack of testing the keeper, the lack of urgency until the last 5 minutes, surely need to be acknowledged and corrected.

Don't think it was as bad a performance as some are making out albeit the result was awful. First 25 mins we were the better side. Naismith nearly got in a couple of times and couple of incisive moves down the right which ended in poor Hutton delivery. If Fletcher scores with his chance I don't doubt we would have won the game. The game then got bitty and we seemed to drop off and lose concentration. Brown was culpable for the goal although he got no help from the dreadful Morrison who turned In one of the most dreadful individual displays in a Scotland shirt since perhaps Caldwell snr in Oslo. He must be dropped for Fletcher against Germany. The 2nd half we struggled to get going and their was no drive from the middle of the park. Anya struggled and seemed to run out of gas. Maloney probed but had little help or movement. Mulgrew throws in a terrific delivery which glances off a georgian boot into the keeper's hands denying a tapin at the back stick. Again small margins like the Fletcher chance. We came on strong last few minutes but couldn't find a goal. We weren't far of it but with Morrison,Brown ana Anya well below par we lacked a bit spark. BIG selection decision for the wee man for Monday. I would change Morrison and Anya with Fletcher and Forrest. Perhaps the central striking position also but not with Griffiths who just lacks a bit all round for this game.

Sorry it was an awful performance however you want to dress it up. We couldn't even muster one shot on target against a team that sits deep. Our only real spell of sustained pressure we built up was at last chance saloon in the dying minutes when we played with desperation.

Sorry it was an awful performance however you want to dress it up. We couldn't even muster one shot on target against a team that sits deep. Our only real spell of sustained pressure we built up was at last chance saloon in the dying minutes when we played with desperation.

We should have been playing like that for the last 20, maybe 30 mins, even risking 2-0, as 2-0 is not much worse than 1-0, but 1-1 would make all the difference and even pave the way to nick a winner.

Not trying to dress it up but the reality is if we have 3 or 4 not quite at it we struggle against anyone especially away from home.

You really need to watch his post match interview on sky - he reckons we need a point against Germany & once again got all smart arse when asked a straightforward question that us fans would like a mature & honest answer on.

This game on Monday night is ####in massive for us - but probably more so for him !!!

You really need to watch his post match interview on sky - he reckons we need a point against Germany & once again got all smart arse when asked a straightforward question that us fans would like a mature & honest answer on.

He shouldn't be allowed to give press conferences as he doesn't seem to be able to cope with being asked questions.

This game on Monday night is ####in massive for us - but probably more so for him !!!

Lets not go on the knee-jerk shit. Even if this campaign fizzles out and we miss out I'd still like to see him given the next campaign.Heck if Strachan is not kept on or walks then who do we get in? Knowing the SFA either Jimmy Calderwood or Bobby Williamson. :shocked: No friggin' thanks.

Lets not go on the knee-jerk shit. Even if this campaign fizzles out and we miss out I'd still like to see him given the next campaign.Heck if Strachan is not kept on or walks then who do we get in? Knowing the SFA either Jimmy Calderwood or Bobby Williamson. :shocked: No friggin' thanks.

He's too busy with trying to keep his knob in his trousers to allow himself to be troubled by management again.

Not suggesting for a minute that we get rid of Strachan but a couple of comments from him since Friday have got my goat.

Firstly, from a bbc article ""The work rate with this squad is unquestionable. These guys play for Scotland for nothing." Fcuk me, if we need to be paying them to put in the effort then the game really is a bogey. If he's so thankful to them just for turning up then it doesn't say much for their motivation.

Secondly, talking about Chris Martin over the Thumb ""I think his scoring record is as good as anybody's over the last two years and in a more competitive league as well." I know he won't be alone in thinking that the Championship is a better league than our premier league but does he really need to say it?

The first comment is probably just him sticking up for his players but the second one can't exactly have been very motivating for Griffiths and all the other SPL players in the squad too. Lets face it, an XI picked from the SPL wouldn't have done any worse than the championship haddies who (didn't) play on Friday,