Predictions For The The Remainder Of The Group? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Predictions For The The Remainder Of The Group?

TheBoysinGreen

My god lads have you given us a lifeline or what? At this moment in time it's a far cry from your optimism and us drowning our sorrows back in June.

I'm interested to see how you think the group will finish. Personally I think we'll grab a play off by the skin of our teeth and you'll unfortunately miss out.

If we beat Georgia on Monday and you lose to Germany it'll be the following:

Poland - 17 pts

Ireland - 15 pts

Scotland - 11pts

That leaves the game between you and Poland absolutely huge. Quite simply, a must not lose game for you lads. Lose and you've given us a play off spot with a game in hand. Even a draw will leave us going to Poland knowing a drab 0-0 draw would send us both home happy. If we somehow win in Warsaw we'd qualify automatically and the Poles would take the play off spot.

If the bookies are right and the favourites win on Monday then October in Hampden will be do or die for the Tartan Army.

Bizzarely, I think we will get a draw on Monday and win last two. That will give us 18 points. Unless you do something against the Germans who will be looking to win against you to gain qualification, with Poland needing a win against you due to us at that stage better on head to head, think they will beat you. Unfortunately meaning you miss out (would take you there ahead of your Northern cousins in a heart beat).

We will end up in a play off probably against Holland.

Fair dues, Greenie, you are a good lad, and a nice guy, I'm happy for you, but obviously gutted at our weakness, - and guess you'll be jumping after our diaster showing.

I'll go for

Ireland 2 Georgia 0

Poland 5 Gibraltar 0

Scotland 0 Germany 2

Scotland 1 Poland 1

Ireland 0 Germany 2

Georgia 3 Gibraltar 0

Poland 1 Ireland 1

Gibralar 0 Scotland 3

Germany 2 Georgia 1

I think that would put

Germany 25

Poland 22

Ireland 16

Scotland 15

I'm very far from caring tonight, players and management chucked it now, will probably put in some heroic effort now to finish 3rd after drawing with or beating Germany and lose the play-offs on away goals with everyone saying what a ''brave'' effort it was.

In which case in my mind they'll still be failures because they didn't achieve the aim we set out at the start of the campaign, we failed tonight.

To be honest TheBoysInGreen I feel a bit of apathy towards the rest of the campaign right now.

Prior to tonight I would be adamant in saying we merit a play-off spot over you due to our head-to-head results but after our disastrous showing in Georgia tonight I cannot deny the feeling that we don't deserve to qualify after that crap. We shall see how the rest of the group goes but for us I would say seven points out of nine are must but right now I cannot see where four of those seven points are going to come from.

Ah here lads....there is still a long way to go in the group. Bad night for Scotland. .....but things can change.

We (ireland ) still have a lot to do.

One bad night T.A does not make a bad team.

Ye are a good team. ...and ye have had a good campaign up until tonight

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

even scraping through now via play offs ; blind faith aside , would you be happy with that gash showing up on the world (okay euro) stage

i'd rather give a place to someone who deserves it - if you struggle to beat teams like Georgia (and we have for donkeys years) then should be no excuses

- if we get the points v Germany & Poland though ; game on again - although at moment i would struggle to see us beating Gibraltar away

Have we had a good campaign though??

It's been ok but not good. Too many average performances now.

We won't take anything from Germany, we'll be lucky to take a point from Poland on evidence of our recent performances.

We look to be heading for 15 points at best....I could be wrong.....but if so then its not good enough and let's be honest all of our previous managers would have gotten us 4th place.

Apparently we are making progress yet all the other home nations look to be going to France and we aren't. Pure utter rubbish.

Apparently we are making progress yet all the other home nations look to be going to France and we aren't. Pure utter rubbish.

What is this obsession (all of a sudden) with what the other home nations are doing? They are in different groups to ours and they are perhaps going to qualify as they can get wins in Cyprus and the Faroe Islands whilst we get beat in Georgia. It isn't rocket science I am afraid.

What is this obsession (all of a sudden) with what the other home nations are doing? They are in different groups to ours and they are perhaps going to qualify as they can get wins in Cyprus and the Faroe Islands whilst we get beat in Georgia. It isn't rocket science I am afraid.

Obsession?? Dont think so.

Pointing out its hard to say we've made progress if we finish 4th and that it will be galling to watch these other teams at the Euros next year if we are not there.

Thanks for breaking it down for me though, really helped. ?

Edited by dezmondo

Whichever of us make the playoffs will lose, in my opinion.

Two average teams that won't be seeded.

In the past Scotland have seemed to be more unlucky with play off draws, getting the Netherlands and England,while Ireland got teams like Iran and Estonia.

But that's because Ireland were seeded then.

Obsession?? Dont think so.

Pointing out its hard to say we've made progress if we finish 4th and that it will be galling to watch these other teams at the Euros next year if we are not there.

Thanks for breaking it down for me though, really helped.

Not specifically you but posts littered over the forum about this issue. Fact is they merit their places and we don't if we are getting beaten by the likes of Georgia.

In the past Scotland have seemed to be more unlucky with play off draws, getting the Netherlands and England,while Ireland got teams like Iran and Estonia.

You also played Holland at Anfield 0-2 in first ever ? One off play-off I recall

Tonight was all about the result. Frankly the performance didn't matter as long as we won. As the game wore on it became about getting something.

On all counts we completely failed. It was atrocious and indeed despite previous horror shows this could potentially be one of the most disastrous and far reaching defeats in a long time. England will win the World Cup Qualifying group leaving us in the far more difficult (than the Euro's) play off scenario given how that works. We would therefore in all likelihood be staring at a further 4 year cycle before the Euro's come around again and a minimum of 22 years in the championship wilderness.

We had done a more than solid job in the group up until tonight but we played with no desire or passion or intensity and zero intelligence all over the park culminating in a horrific defeat. How we let that rank poor team actually beat us (0-0 should have been the absolute worse case scenario) is beyond me. Baffling that Strachan stuck with Fletcher so long given his pathetic contribution when Thumbelina who has been on fire for Celtic sat on the bench. Just bizarre. It was brutal to watch as our qualification slipped away.

And yet.........I've always had a feeling that we will summon a performance and beat Poland at Hamden which would almost definitely mean we finish 3rd and a play off place.

It's Scotland we are talking about here and let's face it nothing was ever going to be straightforward and come easy. If there's away to put us all through the ringer we will manage it! My prediction is defeat on Monday then 2 wins seeing us into the play offs!

Edited by Hendricks

In playoffs ...Ireland have also gotten Spain Holland turkey and France. ..do some research! !!

Scots fans long way to go

In playoffs ...Ireland have also gotten Spain Holland turkey and France. ..do some research! !!

Scots fans long way to go

I wasn't listing all the teams Ireland got in the play-offs, just the best examples.

I also listed most of those in the follow up post you seem to have missed!

I wasn't listing all the teams Ireland got in the play-offs, just the best examples.

Apologies massively off-topic, I mind the Iran playoff.

That keeper was hilarious - rolling around after 25 mins for the draw. :)

PS Not big Shay! The Iranian one.

Edited by weekevie04

Fair enough. ..apologies

Pretty shocked by some of the T.A. reaction to their result tonight.... Yes we are back in it....but Scotland are far from out of it

Fair enough. ..apologies

Pretty shocked by some of the T.A. reaction to their result tonight.... Yes we are back in it....but Scotland are far from out of it

No worries mate, it's late at night :)

And yes I agree, the Germans get clinical at this stage of the group,but everything is still possible for the other three.