Club Or Country ? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Club Or Country ?

Being a passionate Scotsman based in the Shire of the South, I find it easy to explain that Country has always been first choice for me.

Almost all of my mates down here find that bizarre as they are mostly club with next to no interest in their national team.

They laugh at me following Scotland to almost every game and say that I should focus my money and efforts on a local team.

Even when I lived up the road, I was always Scotland first then team.

I'm interested to find out what other Tambers views are on this.

I appreciate loads of you are passionate about clubs aswell as the National team, but if you had to choose one, who would it be and why ?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It waxes and wanes for me. After shite like the 2 Wales defeats it was all Aberdeen; likewise after some of the Aberdeen seasons over the last 10-15 years, the only football joy I got was from Scotland.

Both my teams are on fire at the moment though, and both will be winning their group / league. Couldn't pick between them. Which is your main question I guess! :lol:

It's a good one. They're the only two teams I have and the only two that I give any thought to or care about.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I take more interest in whichever one is doing better. I love them both dearly though.

Given they're both doing well at the moment - I'm just living fitba for the first time I can remember!!

they never clash so both for me. Been a bit harder with Scotland over the last few years with the SFA doing their best to rip us off and generally being crap at running our game, but hopefully France next year will make up for them

Club everytime for me. I have been to over seventy Scotland games abroad but am missing Georgia (first one in ages)simply because I went to Aberdeen's away European games this season. Going to faro and will still follow Scotland home and away. Aberdeen will probably be in Europe next season and I wont be missing these games therefore would probably give up a Scotland away trip which would be Malta.

Without a shadow of a doubt, club. I can only stay away from Killie games for so long before I miss it and have to go back. Apart from travelling I don't miss much about following Scotland and my hiatus could go on indefinitely without too much thought.

Club everytime for me. I have been to over seventy Scotland games abroad but am missing Georgia (first one in ages)simply because I went to Aberdeen's away European games this season. Going to faro and will still follow Scotland home and away. Aberdeen will probably be in Europe next season and I wont be missing these games therefore would probably give up a Scotland away trip which would be Malta.

This. There's a lot of killie fans I know (a few of 10pts) who feel exactly the same.

If Killie were in Europe again (no jokes please) then I'd be choosing the killie trip if needed.

I've always tried to do both though.

only have a real passion for the national side, club sides i go and watch just about anyone but the Old Firm....or Crystal Palace... can quite happily watch either edinburgh teams, or united or aberdeen, alloa, brighton - as the saying goes, more clubs than tiger woods... but have no really feeling for club football anymore - it's all money now, even brighton who used to be almost a community team in a pokey wee stadium, but they no longer have that appeal after spending millions...

so for me only Scotland gets the heart pumpin

i go to about two domestic games a month - either St Mirren, Thistle or The Blasties. I don't really support a team just like Scottish football and would rather go to or watch a Scottish game on tv than any EPL game (even the top teams down there). it excites me when young Scottish players emerge or if it looks like Aberdeen or someone might break the Old Grim's dominance.

I go to all Scotland home games and maybe two away games a year. I don't enjoy these games very much as I am so invested in them. In fact since qualification was last secured, the subsequent 17 years of following Scotland have either been depressing or an emotional drain. Its more an affliction than anything else and an affliction which can't be shaken despite all efforts. I sometimes dream I was French or German and how much happier I would be in football terms......

Anyhow, the Georgia game is nearly upon us. Can't wait.

Edited by Return of Yermaw