One Year On. - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

One Year On.

The 'No' majority in the independence referendum last year is being explained by an unusual alliance of Scotland's youngest voters, its average earners, Protestants and women.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-34283948

Interesting survey, was actually going to post a link myself.

Quite a surprise that highest earners voted Yes...

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It either...

Made a difference, in which case it was an affront to democracy - they had no right to move the goalposts at last minute, and certainly not by pandering to a tabloid newspaper to achieve it. Or...

It made no difference, in which case it was a waste of everyone's time and affords the Daily Record a platform they don't deserve - one that they continue to try and profit from.

Major cringe.

'DAILY Record Editor MURRAY FOOTE lifts the lid on how The Vow - the historic front page which played a major part role in the resolution of last year's independence referendum, was inspired and created.'

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/inside-vow-how-historic-daily-6464878

Interesting read..

I don't think I've read so much phuqqing shite in my entire life.

The 'No' majority in the independence referendum last year is being explained by an unusual alliance of Scotland's youngest voters, its average earners, Protestants and women.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-34283948

One major contradictory line in that story.

It says the findings "runs counter to the widespread belief that there was a clear split between older and young voters". But when you examine the data, 59.%% of voters 60-69 voted No, and 67.1% of voters 70+ voted No. The majority of voters under 60 (when taken as a whole) voted Yes. There is a clear demarcation between the patterns of 60+ and those under 60 (although they do show that 24 and under voted No).

'DAILY Record Editor MURRAY FOOTE lifts the lid on how The Vow - the historic front page which played a major part role in the resolution of last year's independence referendum, was inspired and created.'

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/inside-vow-how-historic-daily-6464878

Interesting read..

Yet Cameron and Milliband said they had nothing to do with the wording of any vow and that it was written by The Record.

But Better Together said The Vow made no difference?...

It may have made a difference in swinging the undecided into voting no, given it was the "safe" option. The majority of no were a staunch no from the outset.

One major contradictory line in that story.

It says the findings "runs counter to the widespread belief that there was a clear split between older and young voters". But when you examine the data, 59.%% of voters 60-69 voted No, and 67.1% of voters 70+ voted No. The majority of voters under 60 (when taken as a whole) voted Yes. There is a clear demarcation between the patterns of 60+ and those under 60 (although they do show that 24 and under voted No).

and the elephant in the room is the % of people born in other parts of UK voting no at 70%. if you say 10% of population is this then the following was the case.

Potential votes 540,500 votes

Turnout 80% 460,000

Vote NO 322,000

Vote Yes 138,000

NO gains 184,000

This shows why we cant go for another indyref until we are 60% plus, Yes will start with a disadvantage as this section will never change their views.

I'm okay today we live in a democracy after all & I'm a democrat - but this time last year (+ a few hours) I was crushed , hope I never feel that way again, thing I was disgusted with the most was the cover up by most of the press of loyalist neds in george square that evening.

It wasn't no voters it wasn't the vast majority of Rangers fans - just hate filled gloating loyalist neds

Massie weighs in with a bit of mock fiction.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/independence-referendum-one-year-on-6469805

Interestingly he mentions a scenario that I said would happen, backing down on Trident for a reduction or wipe out of debt... His EU stuff is a bit fantasist (it all is after all), I doubt it would have got to the stage of adopting the dreaded Euro.

On the morning of the 19th I was gutted. Had to get of the house. Took myself a drive down a country lane and gret my eyes out. I couldn't believe we had passed up a chance like that.

After the way the rugby fraternity acted during the campaign I can't watch Scotland games just now. My anger will subside in time, but I don't think I will forget.

On the morning of the 19th I was gutted. Had to get of the house. Took myself a drive down a country lane and gret my eyes out. I couldn't believe we had passed up a chance like that.

After the way the rugby fraternity acted during the campaign I can't watch Scotland games just now. My anger will subside in time, but I don't think I will forget.

I know what you mean - hearing Gavin Hastings proclaim how much he would love Scotland to meet England in the quarters ie "it's all good honest sporting rivalry amongst the same UK classes but at the end of the day we are all in together, sharing and pooling etc etc........"

Outside bereavements the 19th Sept was the worst day of my life. I was born in England, my father was born in Dundee. I grew up with a mythical view of Scotland, pipe bands, White Heather Club, Jimmy Shand etc. Culture wise I felt different.

Sporting wise my dad didn't ram it down my throat but I remember watching us in '74 when none of my mates were interested. Family holidays, meeting my dad's relatives only solidified that sense of national identity irrespective of birth certificate. Over the years the myth has been battered, its a more realistic view now.

Scotland has its demons but Scotland has also been a case of stunted development for generations. I always believed there was something different about Scotland, a different set of values, something that became particularly clear during the dark days of Thatcherism when I was at Uni in Scotland. I always believed that Scotland could offer something different, something better than what I saw around me in SE England, a sense of community, a sense of fairness. The No vote tugged at my very sense of self. Is that what it meant to be a Scot to be frightened, cowardly, craven, duped - the only nation on earth that votes against independence and all the opportuities it offered to address the ills of past and present?

I would have voted SNP when I studied in Scotland but Sod's Law meant there wasn't an election. After the 18th I took the plunge and joined the SNP. I'd like to think, if family circumstances allow, that next time round I might be back in Scotland and able to cast a vote for independence. My faith in Scotland was battered by the horrors of the No vote. I felt like the Russell Crowe character in Gladiator, “I had a dream that was Scotland... That is not it.”

A year later we're not better together, the love bombing has been extinguished by contempt for Scotland's democratically elected representatives, there's little good feeling towards Scotland outside of family ties, its the same old sneering and patronising, too wee, too poor, too stupid. One year on I think its obvious that Scotland doesn't matter to the Etonian elite but I'm more optimistic, Scotland's will is not settled and those who dreamed of a better future have not, will no go away. I don't know when round two will begin but I do know it's a year closer now.