Day Out From Glasgow - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Day Out From Glasgow

Thanks for all thses answers. What about Millport island (boat from Largs)?

The island is called great cumbrae but theres a not a lot to do, however if the weathers nice id reccomend going, we cycled round the island in /2hours just hired bikes over there, thoroughly enjoyed it Edited by Slide tackle

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful Bute.

That's actually a decent shout, particularly if the weather looks a bit iffy.

Train to Wemyss Bay, ferry across and you've got Mount Stuart, Rothesay Castle plus some decent boozers. You could spend a couple of hours at Mount Stuart easily.

Wee drive starting at Aberdour and heading around the Fife coast to Crail and back. Lots of nice "fishing village" coastline for you and easily dooable in a day. Crail is cracking and a fish supper at Anstruther is not to be missed.

Lanark - trains from Glasgow Central every 30 minutes, takes about 50 minutes. Visit the ruins of St Kentigerns where William Wallace was married, go to the town centre and see the big statue of him and opposite that next to the Clydesdale bank is the site of where his house was. You can go down Castlegate towards the ruins of Lanark Castle where he took the English on but not much to see other than the bowling club which now stands on the site

There is a pub close by the statue called The Wallace Cave named for the cave he hid in after taking on the English, but the cave itself is a few miles away.

Two miles by taxi to New Lanark,now a world heritage centre, by the river Clyde. Founded in 1786 and still looking pretty much as it did over 200 years ago, you can go to the visitor centre in the old mill then take a walk alongside the Clyde ( it`s a proper walkway ) up to the Bonnington Falls which are among the biggest waterfalls in the country.

Last train to Glasgow is 22.51

What about road cycling in Arran? Are the roads busy?

As mentioned in an earlier post, I know a few friends who have been there on holiday and did some cycling (families) and one group of semi-serious cyclists who went there for a long weekend especially to cycle, so I assume it's relatively safe.

I've not been myself but I'd guess it's quite good for various cyclists.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I know a few friends who have been there on holiday and did some cycling (families) and one group of semi-serious cyclists who went there for a long weekend especially to cycle, so I assume it's relatively safe.

I've not been myself but I'd guess it's quite good for various cyclists.

5 hours cycling will get you roon arran nae bother

Thanks for your help.

After speaking with the guys, we have decided to go to Loch Lomond because of his proximity to Glasgow (we'll have enough travels in our 4 days in Scotland).

So, i hesitate between these 2 roads:

- http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/images/stories/Visiting/PDF/Cycle%20routecards/West_loch_lomond_path.pdf

- http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/images/stories/Visiting/PDF/Cycle%20routecards/Old_Military_Road.pdf

Any recomendations?