Tomorrows Leter From Retailers - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tomorrows Leter From Retailers

as i say the polls have forced their hand, till now they been able to keep schtum and not get involved as it was going there way.

Now its in their interest to speak up. Its not some tory consiparcy its common sense - from there point.

Complete nonsense! they've been got at by Cameron.

Peston of the bbc let the cat out of the bag by saying that David Cameron had a secret meeting with the banks and retailers before they went public.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really not trying to be so sceptical of a YES vote - this just happens to be an area i've done financial analysis on for these companies.

The additional costs i;ve detailed above are undeniable. they may be cancel out Corp Tax or may not even be passed on to the consumers.

Its the paranoia and the talk of boycotts that bothers me.

How does the tory consipiracy theory explain the european banks having the same opinion, you cant tell me Cameron has influence over them

http://en.ria.ru/analysis/20140911/192832246/European-Banks-Fear-Recession-Over-Scottish-Independence-.html the use of the word recession is just stupid journalistic boombast

but the principle still stands

Edited by DYLANGT7

Why shouldn't they be boycotted?

If they're stupid enough to try to undermine a democratic process for their own selfish reasons, then they should understand that this is something which may piss off a large proportion of their customer base.

I'd say they've breached their fiduciary duty to their shareholders by putting future profits at risk precisely BY 'revealing their hand' as you put it - unless you're suggesting that the additional costs which they may be subject too outweigh the potential loss of profits from any boycott?

There's plenty of other supermarkets out there to choose from.

When the Tories/UKIP go ahead with their referendum on Europe, will these same retailers, banks, etc, be threatening to leave London in the event of the UK leaving the European Union? Some of them must have more business in Europe than they do in the UK.

as i say the polls have forced their hand, till now they been able to keep schtum and not get involved as it was going there way.

Now its in their interest to speak up. Its not some tory consiparcy its common sense - from there point.

Cannae be bothered with this shit.

How is it in their interest to speak up? Simple answer will do.

They can think what ever they desire. THEY Do NOT NEED TO SPEAK UP.

Edited by mariokempes56

There's plenty of other supermarkets out there to choose from.

Exactly. There will always be competition which invariably drives prices lower.

It's nothing but scaremongering but many will believe it. I just hope more see right through it.

Is it true asda have said they could reduce prices in an independent Scotland now?

They don't have a clue if prices will rise or fall. No company does. Cameron has one arm up their backs and making them be his mouthpiece.

If anything, with lower corporation tax, prices should be lower if the savings were passed on.

You seem to be a reasonably intelligent person so I assume you must have some other reason for havering a pile of shyte.

No point in giving DYLANGT7 a hard time. He's just pointing out why some of these companies might do what they're doing and he's probably right.

He's not saying it's good but just giving some possible business reasons.

The TAMB is so pro-Yes but it's wrong not to read/see the whole picture whether you/we like it or not and slag someone off for posting other info.

I don't like it more than anyone else but don't shoot the messanger.

BBC is kindly reporting in advance that retail bosses 'plan to publish a letter'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29169114

I guess they won't forget to report it again, when the letter is published?

I am getting thoroughly hacked off with announcements of intentions to do things. Just f'in do them. Pathetic excuse to overegg everything.

I'm really not trying to be so sceptical of a YES vote - this just happens to be an area i've done financial analysis on for these companies.

The additional costs i;ve detailed above are undeniable. they may be cancel out Corp Tax or may not even be passed on to the consumers.

How does the tory consipiracy theory explain the european banks having the same opinion, you cant tell me Cameron has influence over them

http://en.ria.ru/analysis/20140911/192832246/European-Banks-Fear-Recession-Over-Scottish-Independence-.html the use of the word recession is just stupid journalistic boombast

I've been boycotting these firms for a long time now. EU banks are also talking about the UK economy, if Westminster won't talk about a CU then they're to blame for the pending fall that's coming to their economy.

Here's the letter from Cameron... :-))

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1300704-davidschneiderdavidcameron.html#document/p1

http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/finance/pay-and-jobs/cameron-meets-grocery-bosses-to-champion-jobs-for-young-people/371565.article

59414_igd-roundtable.jpg

Cameron meets grocery bosses to champion jobs for young people
12 Sep 2014 |Daniel Woolfson

Major figures in the food and grocery industry met with the Prime Minister David Cameron at 10 Downing Street yesterday (11 September) to discuss measures to boost job prospects for young people in Britain.
CEOs in attendance included Sainsbury’s Mike Coupe, Morrisons’ Dalton Philips, Mars’ Fiona Dawson and Nestlé’s Fiona Kendrick.
The meeting was part of the industry-wide employability campaign Feeding Britain’s Future (FBF), spearheaded by grocery research and training charity IGD.
“I want to make sure young people know what opportunities are out there for them, so they can develop the skills they need to get themselves into good jobs and earn a living,” said Cameron.
“We have already seen record drops in youth unemployment and I am grateful for those involved with schemes like Feeding Britain’s Future which have provided opportunities for training, work experience and apprenticeships and led to real career progression for young people.”
Since its inception three years ago, FBF has provided opportunities for the young and unemployed nationwide including master classes and workshops to help development of skills such as CV writing and interview practice.
Around 15,000 of these free workshops will be offered throughout September, with over 200 companies having signed up to take part in FBF to date.
Food and grocery companies have also visited schools in Nottingham as part of IGD’s School Pilot programme, aimed at showing students how to transfer knowledge gained through their education into the workplace.
“I attended a session myself and was overwhelmed with the positive response from pupils on how much they felt their skills could be transferred into the workplace,” said Joanne Denney-Finch, chief executive of IGD.
“Encouragingly, the young people were also inspired by the range of careers available in the industry, with 70% saying they would consider a role in the sector compared to 46% before the session,” she added.
After the meeting with the Prime Minister, IGD announced a major expansion to the School Pilot programme for 2015, when workshops will be provided in six regions across the UK for up to 4,000 students.
There had been speculation that the Prime Minister used the FBF meeting to lobby supermarket chiefs to weigh in on the Scottish referendum debate, after a number of retailers warned that prices would rise in an independent Scotland.

;)

Hmm. Very sceptical about that link you've posted.

The story's source is The Daily Telegraph, quotes a Tory MP in its second paragraph and at least one of those "European" Banks is based in London.

The Yes campaign is taking on a powerful foe, its only hope is that The Establishment is out of touch with the Scottish electorate.