Whats Everyone's Plans For The Draw? - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Whats Everyone's Plans For The Draw?

bonny78

When did England who never won a game in the last world cup become world beaters? We can definitely beat them at Hampden and win the group.

And yes Slovakia have been in great form but as happens a lot, teams around their level who have great campaigns often don't keep it up. Bosnia, Norway etc.

Edited by iainmac1

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Qualifying wise, it's a shit draw.

England are up there with Germany for qualifying easily for everything.

We're pretty much playing for 2nd place, unfortunately.

Yes just been chatting that here..

But a least you know ENGLAND probably will win all if not all qualifier

Small stadiums for Slovakia and Slovenia, so guaranteed % allocation will be pretty low for those. But looking at previous and current campaign attendances neither seem to sell out so hopefully they'll be happy to take our cash and bump up the allocations for us, as I can't see us being a big draw for the locals.

Given some of the teams we could've drawn, it's not a bad draw. It could've been much worse - certainly Slovenia and Slovakia, while difficult, are winnable home and away. And you'd like to fancy our chances of 6 points against Lithuania and Malta. On that basis, and the fact I haven't been to any of those countries, I'm quite content.

As for England, I'd have rather avoided them for a few reasons; I'm not sure I can be bothered with the circus that's going to surround them, and the Wembley trip I don't think will be as fun as 2013. After the November game, the novelty had worn off for me and it showed we have to improve to have a chance of taking points off them. While we can, I suspect that they will win the group and second place is more realistic.

But, when you look for example at the group the Dutch are in, I think overall we have to be pretty content.

Let's not underestimate Slovakia. They a currently top off the the Euro qualifying group with 6 wins out off 6 including a win against Spain.

We all know that Lithuania away is a banana skin for us

Saying that it's very favourable draw

there squads ok but hardly setting the world on fire

i think a few of them came through with a decent u/21 side a few years back so probably a good unit, as are we now

1 GK Ján Mucha 5 December 1982(age 32) 43 0 Slovan Bratislava 23 GK Matúš Kozáčik 27 December 1983(age 31) 10 0 Viktoria Plzeň GK Ján Novota 29 November 1983(age 31) 1 0 Rapid Vienna 3 DF Martin Škrtel (Captain) 15 December 1984(age 30) 73 5 Liverpool DF Peter Pekarík 30 October 1986(age 28) 61 2 Hertha BSC 15 DF Tomáš Hubočan 17 September 1985(age 29) 38 0 Dynamo Moscow 16 DF Kornel Saláta 24 January 1985(age 30) 32 2 Slovan Bratislava DF Dušan Švento 1 August 1985 (age 29) 31 1 1. FC Köln DF Ľubomír Michalík 13 August 1983(age 31) 8 2 Dunajská Streda DF Lukáš Tesák 8 March 1985 (age 30) 0 0 Arsenal Tula 17 MF Marek Hamšík (Vice-captain) 27 July 1987 (age 27) 78 15 Napoli 10 MF Miroslav Stoch 19 October 1989(age 25) 48 5 Fenerbahçe 7 MF Vladimír Weiss 30 November 1989(age 25) 43 4 Lekhwiya 8 MF Juraj Kucka 26 February 1987(age 28) 41 4 Genoa 20 MF Viktor Pečovský 24 May 1983 (age 32) 25 1 Žilina 11 MF Róbert Mak 8 March 1991 (age 24) 19 3 PAOK MF Michal Ďuriš 1 June 1988 (age 27) 16 0 Viktoria Plzeň MF Patrik Hrošovský 22 April 1992 (age 23) 4 0 Viktoria Plzeň 8 MF Ondrej Duda 5 December 1994(age 20) 3 1 Legia Warsaw 24 MF Ján Greguš 29 January 1991(age 24) 1 0 FK Jablonec 13 FW Filip Hološko 17 January 1984(age 31) 65 8 Sydney FC 21 FW Martin Jakubko 26 February 1980(age 35) 37 9 Ružomberok 9 FW Adam Nemec 2 September 1985(age 29) 16 3 New York City

Let's not underestimate Slovakia. They a currently top off the the Euro qualifying group with 6 wins out off 6 including a win against Spain.

We all know that Lithuania away is a banana skin for us

Saying that it's very favourable draw

lithuania away was only a banana skin when levein played for a nil nil

End of the day I cannot see how we can complain at that draw.

I mean would you sooner be in Group A with Holland and France? Or Group C with Germany, Czech Republic and Norway? Or Group G with Spain and Italy? Or Group H with Belgium and Bosnia in a five team group? Sorry but the priority was that we avoided Italy and France from Pot 2 which we did and the teams we drew were not in anyone's ones to avoid list I don't think (aside from maybe Lithuania).

Lost in 2003 and drew 0-0 I think in 1998 in the first game after the World Cup

beat them under smith 2006

lost under vogts drew under levein

totally confident we will win there as assuming strachan will still be in charge, hope

End of the day I cannot see how we can complain at that draw.

I mean would you sooner be in Group A with Holland and France? Or Group C with Germany, Czech Republic and Norway? Or Group G with Spain and Italy? Or Group H with Belgium and Bosnia in a five team group? Sorry but the priority was that we avoided Italy and France from Pot 2 which we did and the teams we drew were not in anyone's ones to avoid list I don't think (aside from maybe Lithuania).

That was my thought. :ok:

Knew we'd get England when we were waiting for the last teams to come out, at first I thought it was intuition then I remembered they always get 'easy' groups and our group, for a change, is a relatively 'easy' group. So no wonder they landed in with us.

I didn't want them but I don't fear them, no second half substitutions (Wembley) or physical, energy-sapping game beforehand (Ireland) this time around, its the real thing. As long as we can defend set-pieces aimed at big lumps (Wembley) and make sure the game stops when one of our defenders is injured (Wembley), we can compete.

England away first game.... Then at home for the last would be my preference. We always have a chance.... E.g. You wouldn't have thought we would beat France home and away...

Definitely. :ok: Is the fixture list computer generated for this the same as it is for the Euro's? It would be ideal to get them away from home 1st or 2nd game in.