Tambers Overseas - What Local Teams Do You Follow? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tambers Overseas - What Local Teams Do You Follow?

I've adopted Omiya Ardija who play in the Japanese J-League 2 as my local team. Been following them for a few years now. We had an awful season last year, relegated from J-League 1 and also sold our best player Zlatan Ljubijankic to our local city rivals (Urawa Red Diamonds).

Things have been pretty good recently, just past the midway point in the season here and we're 8 points clear and looking pretty shit hot...Ticket prices at Omiya are about 11 quid, the atmosphere is pretty decent, no trouble at all plus you can take your own booze into the stadium :ok:

What's the setup with your own local teams?

Edited by derekfaejapan

My Irish mate here keeps wanting to drag me to a Chicago Fire game. He's a big football fan. Our fitba', not the Irish type. He's a Cork City boy. So he's constantly on at me to see Maloney play here. But the thought of a bunch of stupid Yanks squealing at saaaaccer puts me off. Daft young tarts eating popcorn and hotdogs just isn't fitba' for me.

I kind of follow St. Patrick's Athletic. Only been to a handful of games though (and even most of them were big game 'glamour' euro ties against eastern european teams). Got papped oot the uefa cup last night by Skonto Riga.

My Irish mate here keeps wanting to drag me to a Chicago Fire game. He's a big football fan. Our fitba', not the Irish type. He's a Cork City boy. So he's constantly on at me to see Maloney play here. But the thought of a bunch of stupid Yanks squealing at saaaaccer puts me off. Daft young tarts eating popcorn and hotdogs just isn't fitba' for me.

I went to a Seattle Sounders V Houston cup game about 8 years ago. It was nothing like you describe! Decent crowd (about 20k... probably more now that the MLS is more popular), good stadium, beer in your seat....

When posted to London in the early 90's used to go watch Barnet...Their prized asset was Steve Bull of Wolves cousin..Proper game where the crowd could change half during half time...

Also cracking pub at tube station "The Dandy Lion..

I'v been to see Perth Glory a few times. The quality of football here is fairly average and I prefer to watch the Aussie Rules now anyway but I do enjoy going along with a few mates, sitting in a nice stadium in good weather having a laugh with drinks as you watch.

Before I moved to Australia I lived in Copenhagen and I regularly went to watch BK Frem, the second oldest team outside of the UK. They had serious money problems around 15 years back and were relegated to the equivalent of the juniors, they have been slowly working up through the leagues since. Great atmospheres at their games with flags, drums , flares and full strength beer.

Montpellier for me. Was here when they won the league in...2012? Then saw them play 2 champions league matches (Arsenal and Schalke), in that will surely be their first and last champions league campaign. Gone downhill since then due to selling the entire team, but finished 7th or 8th last season and am looking forward to the new season already. Not spectacular, but a fairly honest hardworking team....a bit like France's version of stoke but with (very) slightly better football

I saw the Whitecaps play, canny mind who against but it was OK, they won 4-0 and Robson and Miller played. We moved from family zone which was cheap tickets to "the south side" where the main supporters group is with a megaphone. Me and my mate from Shrewsbury made more noise than them ourselves but the atmosphere was OK. It's growing every year and if I still lived over that way I'd consider going to most games.

Ajax for me. Had a season ticket for last 10 years, as well as a Partick Thistle season card :blink: . On occasion been to a Jags game on Saturday and then flew back and watched Ajax on the Sunday, not much of a difference.

When I moved here a lot of expats ( for want of a better word ) preferred to sit in pub and watch Scottish games live on TV than go watch Ajax. Coming originally from Campbeltown and going to any game in Scotland meant a lot of travel then with a club as famous as Ajax on doorstep I wasn't going to miss chance to go watch them.

For many a year it was very barren by Ajax standards, no league title for 8 years and then possibly with worst team I had seen they won 4 in a row. Best thing though has been seeing a lot of players starting their careers here before moving onto bigger clubs, the list includes Suarez, Ibrahimovic, Sneider, Van Der Vaart, Vertonghen, Vermhaalen, Aldeirwerld, Eriksen, Huntelaar, Blind, Maxwell, Chivu, Emanuelson, Galasek, Grygera, De Jong amongst others

What not St pauli

HSV are a proper club with proper fans. St Pauli are the hipsters version of Bayern Munich.

I'm off today to see the real Hamburg alternative Altona 93 play at Dulwich Hamlet

Edited by aaid