• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wales

Iceland

Scotland

Faroe Islands

Moldova

San Marino

Swap Moldova for Cyprus and that's the best group I think.

The fact Wales are ranked higher than Spain, Italy and France is ridiculous, although I'm not sure what a better system would be.

Edited by braveheart_lynch

Swap Moldova for Cyprus and that's the best group I think.

The fact Wales are ranked higher than Spain, Italy and France is ridiculous, although I'm not sure what a better system would be.

The rankings really are a joke. Spain are the reigning Euro champions, qualify without losing (?), had a bad World Cup then end up 11th?!

England haven't lost a qualifier since 2009!! How in God's green earth are Wales even remotely comparable to that??

I suppose it's very easy to jump up the rankings when you beat sides higher ranked than you but harder to hold onto it once you get there. The only way for quality teams to retain their rankings is to beat other good sides at the Euros/World Cup when the extra points are up for grabs.

On the reverse, if you lose your three groups games you gain nothing and add an extra three games for your yearly points to be averaged over.

Seems like a pretty perverse system. (All other things remaining the same) A team finishing second in a qualifying group could easily have a higher world ranking than the team that qualifies for the World Cup because they lose point at the Finals.

It really is a poor way to decide the seedings, but it is what it is and we'll have to live with it for now.

Given that only the group winners are guaranteed to qualify I'd take Croatia, Romania or Wales from Pot1...

Edited by Toepoke

Romania

Denmark

Scotland

Israel

Cyprus

Malta

Never been to Romania and their stadium looks banging. A trip back to Copenhagen would be cool. Probably never go to Israel if it wouldn't be for football, and a couple of nice warm visits for the last two pots. Top trips and not an impossible group to get out of.

Odds are we'll end up with a pretty dull and repetitive group with one outrageous trip though.

Belgium

Czech Rep

Scotland

Norway

Lithuania

Kazahkstan

Remember the Welsh being so down about their team just before we played them in Cardiff .

Look at them now. Gareth Bale.

Would take them as first seeds though they have been our bogey team.

I would take them out of pot 1 - An injury to Bale and there fecked !

Ramsey and Williams would both walk into our first team.

Agreed, along with a few others, a combined team would look something like this I'd say,

Marshall

Matthews

Williams

Martin

Robertson/Taylor

Brown

Ramsey

Morrison (Ledley or Allen could have a case over Morrison)

Bale

Fletcher/Naismith

Maloney/Anya

4,3,3 formation.

Man for Man I think there is very little between us and Wales, with probably the only differences being they have Bale, but we have the better goalkeepers and more depth of squad.

Wales do seem to have a very settled first team, but just a couple of injuries does seem to send them into a flap..... Whereas if we are missing a vital player, we at least have a couple of ok options there as ready replacements (ie Croatia away we were down to the barebones, yet now Strachans first team is almost made up fully of players from that team).

As we found out when we got to the dizzy heights of 15ish, it's one thing getting there and another thing staying there.