The Nation's Cup - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Nation's Cup

Debian

Remember this for 2018.

Any smarty pants out there able to tell us what your group would be based on current standings?

Each group is only 4 teams. Not sure where the UEFA coefficients would place us, though it's certainly lower than the FIFA rankings...

I think i missed all this - been in ZA 4 years

would this indicate 12 matches over a 1 year period ? lot of games close together

Year Month 2018–19 UEFA Nations League UEFA Euro 2020 2018 September Group stage
(Double matchday) October Group stage
(Double matchday) November Group stage
(Double matchday) 2019 March Qualifying stage
(Double matchday) June "Final four competition"
(Semi-finals and finals) Qualifying stage
(Double matchday) September Qualifying stage
(Double matchday) October Qualifying stage
(Double matchday) November Qualifying stage
(Double matchday) 2020 March Play-offs
(Semi-finals and finals) June–July Finals tournament

Is it the uefa coefficient that's going to be used for this? And if so does that mean the groups are decided at the end of this campaign?

No, they will be decided as per the UEFA rankings as of 15th November 2017. I just looked into how the competition will work. The link below tells you all you need to know. What is most interesting for me is that one out of the worst 16 teams in Europe will definitely qualify for Euro 2020!

http://www.uefa.com/community/news/newsid=2079553.html

Remember this for 2018.

Any smarty pants out there able to tell us what your group would be based on current standings?

Any smarty pants will firstly tell you that Nations Cup does not have an apostrophe between the last two letters. That would be a completely different tournament.

Based on the only source I can find for the 2015 rankings It would look like this.

League A

League 1: Germany,France, Spain

League 2: Holland, England Portugal

League 3: Belgium, Italy, Croatia

League 4: Switzerland, Bosnia & Herzogivina , Sweden

League B

League 1: Russia, Denmark, Austria

League 2:Czech Republic, Ukraine, Slovakia

League 3: Romania, Hungary, Greece

League 4: Poland, Iceland, Republic of Ireland

League C*

League 1:Turkey,Norway, Slovenia

League 2: Israel, Wales , Scotland

League 3:Serbia,Montenegro, Northern Ireland, Bulgaria

League 4:Armenia,Albania,Estonia, Finland

League D

League 1:Lithuania, Moldova, Azerbaijan, Latvia

League 2: Belarus,Cyprus, Georgia, FYR Macedonia

League 3:Liechtenstein, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan

League 4:Malta,Andorra, San Marino, Gibralter

The winner of each 3-4 team mini league (assuming they haven't achieved qualification via another route) enters the play-offs within their own bigger division, with the winner of the 4 team play-offs being awarded a Euro 2020 Qualifying spot, all play-offs are one off matches.

The winner of each league is promoted, and the bottom placed team is relegated.

It is worth noting that the leagues will be based on the 2017 rankings and these are the 2015 rankings so these may look different (although Scotland's position has stayed the same since the 2013 rankings for instance).

*It simply describes that League C will have 2 leagues of 3 and 2 leagues of 4 without explicitly saying which is which, however it can be assumed that it would be the 2 highest leagues as all of leagues A and B are made up of 3 teams.

Edited by BraveheartGordon

Based on the only source I can find for the 2015 rankings It would look like this.

League A

League 1: Germany,France, Spain

League 2: Holland, England Portugal

League 3: Belgium, Italy, Croatia

League 4: Switzerland, Bosnia & Herzogivina , Sweden

League B

League 1: Russia, Denmark, Austria

League 2:Czech Republic, Ukraine, Slovakia

League 3: Romania, Hungary, Greece

League 4: Poland, Iceland, Republic of Ireland

League C*

League 1:Turkey,Norway, Slovenia

League 2: Israel, Wales , Scotland

League 3:Serbia,Montenegro, Northern Ireland, Bulgaria

League 4:Armenia,Albania,Estonia, Finland

League D

League 1:Lithuania, Moldova, Azerbaijan, Latvia

League 2: Belarus,Cyprus, Georgia, FYR Macedonia

League 3:Liechtenstein, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan

League 4:Malta,Andorra, San Marino, Gibralter

The winner of each 3-4 team mini league (assuming they haven't achieved qualification via another route) enters the play-offs within their own bigger division, with the winner of the 4 team play-offs being awarded a Euro 2020 Qualifying spot, all play-offs are one off matches.

The winner of each league is promoted, and the bottom placed team is relegated.

It is worth noting that the leagues will be based on the 2017 rankings and these are the 2015 rankings so these may look different (although Scotland's position has stayed the same since the 2013 rankings for instance).

*It simply describes that League C will have 2 leagues of 3 and 2 leagues of 4 without explicitly saying which is which, however it can be assumed that it would be the 2 highest leagues as all of leagues A and B are made up of 3 teams.

They mini leagues won't look like that but what you posted will be the pots for the draw within the leagues.

They mini leagues won't look like that but what you posted will be the pots for the draw within the leagues.

What draw? you play every team home and away within your mini-league to determine who wins the league and progresses to your division play-offs.

There is no draw, the leagues are determined by the UEFA rankings.

Edited by BraveheartGordon

Yes that is correct if we are in a 4 team group.

Wow 14 in 1 year is alot.

recently the most we have played is 10.

During the Berti we played 12 times.

Wonder how they are going to work that one out. I thought they were trying to cut back on International games?

If the winner of each league gets a qualifying spot then surely we'd be better getting relegated to D than promoted to B?

That's my problem with the whole thing. Deliberately being rotten and getting relegated to Division D gives you a better chance of qualifying for Euro 2020 than if you try really hard to get promoted to Divisions B or A. That's just stupid.

That's my problem with the whole thing. Deliberately being rotten and getting relegated to Division D gives you a better chance of qualifying for Euro 2020 than if you try really hard to get promoted to Divisions B or A. That's just stupid.

Yes, it would in theory be harder to qualify for Euro 2020 if you are in league A or B, but this only applies if you need to rely on the Nations Cup to qualify. The 4 spots on offer through these means are almost a bonus.

The traditional qualifying process will still be in use. If you're good enough to be in league A and B for the Nations Cup, then you're likely to be in one the higher pots for the qualifying draw for Euro 2020. If we need to rely on winning our Nations Cup league to qualify, then it would be March 2020 before we are sure of a place in the tournament starting in 3 months! Obviously I'd take that if we need to.

Good points, but I still fear in our case a lot would depend on the luck of the draw for the qualifying competition proper. A nasty draw from the two from three pots we wouldn't be in could chuck up a tough task still.

Seems quite ill-thought through from UEFA.

What draw? you play every team home and away within your mini-league to determine who wins the league and progresses to your division play-offs.

There is no draw, the leagues are determined by the UEFA rankings.

That is not my undertanding. The UEFA rankings will determine who are in each Division (A-D) then once that has been decided there will be a draw to determin the groups. For example the top 4 teams in League A will be split between the 4 groups and so on.

It is not 100% clear on the site but I copied this from UEFA.com

"The draw will include the necessary conditions to guarantee the sporting fairness and viability of the competition"

That shows that there will be a draw.