The Nation's Cup - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Nation's Cup

Debian

That is not my undertanding. The UEFA rankings will determine who are in each Division (A-D) then once that has been decided there will be a draw to determin the groups. For example the top 4 teams in League A will be split between the 4 groups and so on.

It is not 100% clear on the site but I copied this from UEFA.com

"The draw will include the necessary conditions to guarantee the sporting fairness and viability of the competition"

That shows that there will be a draw.

Where did you copy that from? I'm not saying it doesn't say it somewhere on the site, but the one article that I have read doesn't mention it. Send the link please.

Here is the one article I have read:

http://www.uefa.com/community/news/newsid=2079553.html

Nothing there mentions anything about a draw for the groups. In fact, I would assume from all that is said, that it will be a straight case of the leagues and groups being made up according to the UEFA rankings.

Where did you copy that from? I'm not saying it doesn't say it somewhere on the site, but the one article that I have read doesn't mention it. Send the link please.

Here is the one article I have read:

http://www.uefa.com/community/news/newsid=2079553.html

Nothing there mentions anything about a draw for the groups. In fact, I would assume from all that is said, that it will be a straight case of the leagues and groups being made up according to the UEFA rankings.

There you go

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/news/newsid=2191264.html

There is no way they will want to put the top 3 teams in the same group. They will want the top 4 teams to be taking part in the semi finals and final.

Edited by tartanpar

There you go

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/news/newsid=2191264.html

There is no way they will want to put the top 3 teams in the same group. They will want the top 4 teams to be taking part in the semi finals and final.

But it also says this ''• In the first edition of the competition, the participating sides will be classified according to the UEFA national team coefficient rankings (ranking as per 15 November 2017, i.e. conclusion of 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers)''

And in the other article there is no mention of any kind of draw, in fact I'm beginning to think that the part about the draw is referring to this ''The semi-final fixtures will be decided by draw''

Its also worth noting that the article posted by EIFA 10 was posted after yours, so could be an updated version as such.

But it also says this ''• In the first edition of the competition, the participating sides will be classified according to the UEFA national team coefficient rankings (ranking as per 15 November 2017, i.e. conclusion of 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers)''

And in the other article there is no mention of any kind of draw, in fact I'm beginning to think that the part about the draw is referring to this ''The semi-final fixtures will be decided by draw''

Its also worth noting that the article posted by EIFA 10 was posted after yours, so could be an updated version as such.

Perhaps. I doubt it though. It makes no sense to put the top 3 teams in the same group. As i said before they will want the top teams in the final rather than the top teams knocking each other out.

Perhaps. I doubt it though. It makes no sense to put the top 3 teams in the same group. As i said before they will want the top teams in the final rather than the top teams knocking each other out.

The other reason why it makes no sense is because it guarantees that one of the top 3 teams (Germany Spain or England as of today's rankings) would be guaranteed to be relegated to League B for the next tournament.

There is the probability that all league A teams will have qualified through the normal qualification groups, what happens to the place then? What if the mini league winner has already qualified but the runners up haven't, do they take the place?

There is the probability that all league A teams will have qualified through the normal qualification groups, what happens to the place then? What if the mini league winner has already qualified but the runners up haven't, do they take the place?

If winner(s) are already qualified through the European Qualifiers, the next best ranked team(s) within the league qualify for the play-offs

Play-off slots are dropped down to a lower league if less than four sides remain available for a play-off qualification

Also re the posts earlier about the draw or not.

The leagues will be decided by ranking but the groups within the leagues will be decided by a draw.

I asked someone from UEFA on twitter who has replied in the past about this topic and this was his response.

@ScotlandStewart There is a draw (13th bullet point here http://t.co/vWEdcl0HtR)Regulations not done yet so no more details decided

it makes no sense on first reading but we must remember that the whole point of the competition is to stop meaningless friendlies.each country would be playing other countries of the same standard so you should in theory get better games.if a smaller nation has a purple patch and finds themselves with a decent squad they get promoted and play sides of a better standard.at the end of the day would you rather play meaningless friendlies against Qatar,n Ireland or games against teams of the same calibre with a possibility of a couple of games against one of the big boys and a backdoor route to the euros if you are in a group of death.

ian

it makes no sense on first reading but we must remember that the whole point of the competition is to stop meaningless friendlies.each country would be playing other countries of the same standard so you should in theory get better games.if a smaller nation has a purple patch and finds themselves with a decent squad they get promoted and play sides of a better standard.at the end of the day would you rather play meaningless friendlies against Qatar,n Ireland or games against teams of the same calibre with a possibility of a couple of games against one of the big boys and a backdoor route to the euros if you are in a group of death.

ian

The teams in League A will be the big guns so even with a draw the top teams will be playing each other.

As I said above there is no way whatsoever they will deliberately set it up so one of the top 3 teams are guaranteed to be relegated to league B.

The teams in League A will be the big guns so even with a draw the top teams will be playing each other.

As I said above there is no way whatsoever they will deliberately set it up so one of the top 3 teams are guaranteed to be relegated to league B.

why not it isn't as if they are proper qualifiers.also you have to remember this is the brainchild of Platini who cares about nothing except france.

why not it isn't as if they are proper qualifiers.also you have to remember this is the brainchild of Platini who cares about nothing except france.

Because league positions will be used for Euro seedings for future qualifying draws. They want to ensure the big teams are always qualifying as that increases their revenue.

Anyway the question has now been answered by someone from UEFA so not much of an argument any more.