Jermy Corbyn - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

If Corbyn wins then the Labour Party is even more disgusting than I currently think it is. If a majority of its members have been saying so silent and allowing the party to become an imitation Tory Party then how much can anyone respect that.

Edited by Lamia

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Corbyn wins then the Labour Party is even more disgusting than I currently think it is. If a majority of its members have been saying so silent and allowing the party to become an imitation Tory Party then how much can anyone respect that.

:lol:

Good Lord!

You should be excited about a potential Corbyn win, it'll pull your party left.

:lol:

Good Lord!

You should be excited about a potential Corbyn win, it'll pull your party left.

Don't get me wrong I want him to win. Doesn't change my view of the members of the Labour Party who have stayed so silent.

If Corbyn wins, the unfortunate analogy is that this is the Labour party entering the IDS Tory years period. Not a hope of the English voting them in.

The sad thing is that to the average voter Corbyn's policies are pretty appealing but the powers that be will do absolutely everything to prevent him becoming prime minister, project fear again in full effect.

If Labour is to have any chance of saving itself then they have to elect Corbyn. He may not lead them back into government; in fact it's almost inconceivable that he will, given the almost inevitable roasting he will face from the right-wing English press. But if he can do a reverse Kinnock, i.e. purge the party of Blairites and re-position it, once again, as a party of the common people, he could clear the ground for someone who might.

This latest news is hugely encouraging but I just wonder if this information has been leaked tactically, to motivate moderate Labour members to vote for someone else (most probably Andy Burnham). A 'Sunday Herald' move, if you like.

Corbyn won't get votes from the right wing English electorate. And he won't beat the popularity of Sturgeon and the SNP in Scotland.

He doesn't need votes from the right wing in England, millions don't vote and can be won around.

A labour actually worth voting for would test the SNPs popularity.

Corbyn won't get votes from the right wing English electorate. And he won't beat the popularity of Sturgeon and the SNP in Scotland.

I am not to sure. I would certainly be more inclined to vote for a Labour party with Corbyn as leader than any of the other three.

I am not to sure. I would certainly be more inclined to vote for a Labour party with Corbyn as leader than any of the other three.

Maybe so in Scotland, but there is no way the English will vote in enough numbers for a Corbyn as a leader. You have to be Tory lite down there at least. Christ even UKIP are getting some former Labour voters down South.

Maybe so in Scotland, but there is no way the English will vote in enough numbers for a Corbyn as a leader. You have to be Tory lite down there at least. Christ even UKIP are getting some former Labour voters down South.

I think this is a myth peddled by the right wing media. It won't be easy but UKIP and other voters could be won back

It would be great, though unlikely, to see a true left(ish) candidate leading the Labour party. [ I doubt it would make much difference in Scotland unless they disband and start again. ]

I am also not so sure that they could not win again with a left-of-centre agenda, though maybe the media have done too good a job for that to ever happen.

I think this is a myth peddled by the right wing media. It won't be easy but UKIP and other voters could be won back

It's true to an extent, I've personally spoken to a few people who you would class as traditional labour voters who voted UKIP.

They're main reason is that they are disillusioned with the mainstream political parties. One guy actually said to me that he wished the SNP stood in England so he could vote SNP.

To which level this is an anti-politics protest vote and to which extent it represents a longer term shift I don't know.

I really think Labour in the UK has a serious problem as its being attacked on different fronts from different opponents. The core vote is being attacked in Scotland from the SNP on a combination of a centre-left message and the constitution, in England, it's UKIP playing to concerns over public services being under threat by playing an anti-Europe and immigration card. That's just the core vote, the ones whose votes they used to weigh. Then you have "Middle England" which they need to put dents into to actually win an election who don't trust them on the Economy amongst other things.

How do you get a leader who's going to deal with all of that?

It's true to an extent, I've personally spoken to a few people who you would class as traditional labour voters who voted UKIP.

They're main reason is that they are disillusioned with the mainstream political parties. One guy actually said to me that he wished the SNP stood in England so he could vote SNP.

To which level this is an anti-politics protest vote and to which extent it represents a longer term shift I don't know.

I really think Labour in the UK has a serious problem as its being attacked on different fronts from different opponents. The core vote is being attacked in Scotland from the SNP on a combination of a centre-left message and the constitution, in England, it's UKIP playing to concerns over public services being under threat by playing an anti-Europe and immigration card. That's just the core vote, the ones whose votes they used to weigh. Then you have "Middle England" which they need to put dents into to actually win an election who don't trust them on the Economy amongst other things.

How do you get a leader who's going to deal with all of that?

Good post.

I'd like to think someone like Corbyn could unite the party and bring a lot of supporters back but I think that's naive.

As we seen with Harrman this week they aren't even on the same page as a party so the idea of winning elections seems so far away.

doesn't matter who wins ... they'll just be a filler until the messiah (miliband) or some other posh tory-lite twat makes themselves available to take up the reins for the next election.

personally hope Corbyn gets in based on this interview - as he's got a fine temper (kicks off from 8.04) -

Edited by Topcat

doesn't matter who wins ... they'll just be a filler until the messiah (miliband) or some other posh tory-lite twat makes themselves available to take up the reins for the next election.

personally hope Corbyn gets in based on this interview - as he's got a fine temper (kicks off from 8.04) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZAn7ZEvwek

Watched the first 2mins. nterviewer goes from asking a Q about child benefits which Corbyn answers well and the follow up Q is suddenly about an immigrant with 5 kids claiming

That little window sums up everything wrong with the media in this county. disgraceful.

Ukip's vote in England was almost exactly the lib dem votes last time. Which implies strongly that the people who voted Clegg in 2010 did so cos they wouldn't vote labour or tory.

Then Clegg gave us all the tories (his original party of membership anyway).

This time with the liberals screwed all there votes in England went to ukip and in Scotland to the SNP.

So why are so many people avoiding labour and the tories?

It must be because of how similar they are and people are generally pissed off with all that.

They want something different and fresh and that's why Nicola swept the board this time.

And even Farage had his appeal.

The actual politics are less important than appearing new.

Labour under Corbyn WOULD appear different , a change at long last from nearly 20 years of Blairite conservatism.

Yes the right wing media would dislike him...just as they dislike the SNP but its what the people like that matters and Jeremy Corbyn comes over as a thoroughly decent guy who genuinely cares about people and could earn their trust and confidence.

On the recent Question Time he came over superbly, something Ed Miliband and a the others in tve labour leadership have consistently failed to do.