Jermy Corbyn - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'd be my choice, although electorally in the Michael Foot category...

That's exactly what I've been saying. He is far & away the only candidate who is really setting his stall out to fight the Tories rather than just occupy their territory, but sadly I think intelligent left wingers tend to get destroyed by the media. I know there isn't much sympathy on here but the party really has to decide now if it wants to try & change people's minds & win the big arguments or just move to where people's minds are.

That's exactly what I've been saying. He is far & away the only candidate who is really setting his stall out to fight the Tories rather than just occupy their territory, but sadly I think intelligent left wingers tend to get destroyed by the media. I know there isn't much sympathy on here but the party really has to decide now if it wants to try & change people's minds & win the big arguments or just move to where people's minds are.

The simple® answer is that Labour in Scotland is very different to English Labour as a party.

Correct.

Same old shite as last time. We heard the same pish about Dianne Abott ensuring a better, more widely spread debate the last time.

The fact the guy didn't get enough nominations from folk who genuinely believe in him tells you all you need to know. Labour don't want to change. Tony Blair made them Tory-lite and won 3 elections in a row. That's what those within Labour want to be.

Odds have apparently tumbled on Jeremy from 100/1 to 12/1 following the debate last night. Interesting.

I'll give you the 100/1 if you still want it.

• 4 weeks later...

worth a cheeky punt on Corbyn now Scunnered?

I still think it will be Andy "Blair isn't pulling my strings" Burnham, who admittedly I used to like, but he's said some worrying things over the leadership contest.

But if Jeremey could take it, it would be absolutely marvellous. He's got my vote.

Labour's voting system makes these thing massively difficult to predict. I think Corbyn might well do well in the first ballot but if he doesn't win outright the issue becomes where all the second preference votes go. Few that have the other candidates (particularly Kendall & Cooper) are highly unlikely to have him as second preference so (sadly) I still think it's unlikely he'll win. Some detailed anallysis on LabourList came up with Cooper as most likely to benefit fromthe voting system.

Still, I'm voting for Corbyn. Politics over pragmatism has made me the lost cause I am today.