€ Euro - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few credit cards give you the bank rate. I have Halifax clarity, no withdrawal fees or transaction fees.

Not sure about the rate, but my Nationwide account has no withdrawal or transaction fees - unfortunately, an ATM crashed and swallowed my card the night before the

Ireland trip :banghead:.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Out of interest. ..we have had our media and most politicians saying how lucky we are the UK didn't join the useless euro....

Well when it came into being the exchange rate was 1.5 to the £....

And ever since the rate has been lower, often much lower.

Which guess what...means the euro has consistently outperformed the pound, the complete opposite to the shit we get brainwashed with.

Out of interest. ..we have had our media and most politicians saying how lucky we are the UK didn't join the useless euro....

Well when it came into being the exchange rate was 1.5 to the £....

And ever since the rate has been lower, often much lower.

Which guess what...means the euro has consistently outperformed the pound, the complete opposite to the shit we get brainwashed with.

Euro hasnt been too clever for plenty of countries. Ireland, Greece. Portugal, Spain. It has however kept the cost of all those BMWs and Volkswagens artificially low. you cant have financial integration without political !! Look at Greece properly mullered. By rights what should happen in a unified Europe is that it should just cough up the money and write off those debts but those pesky german taxpayers dont seem too keen on the idea, and that the problem !!

If Deutsche Bank goes pop then so will the Euro chaps - and after their interventions on Indyref it would be sweet karma

• 3 weeks later...

just had a wee look at the £ against the kicking near 144 to the £ so you should get a tourist rate of 140 to the pound think it's the highest it's been for about 7 years any one mind was the highest rate was ?

Perfect. I'm off to France on my hols next month.

J

I was told a while back the cheapest way to change currency was to draw it out of cash machines once you arrive because you got a better exchange rate which offsets the bank charge, so I've been doing that now for a few years.

Does that still hold true? I'm off to Spain in October but am getting tempted by the low rates around now. I'm also normally a financial Jonah in that if there's a way to get a decision wrong I usually find it.

I was told a while back the cheapest way to change currency was to draw it out of cash machines once you arrive because you got a better exchange rate which offsets the bank charge, so I've been doing that now for a few years.

Does that still hold true? I'm off to Spain in October but am getting tempted by the low rates around now. I'm also normally a financial Jonah in that if there's a way to get a decision wrong I usually find it.

Depends on your card as rates vary quite a lot.

A few give you the exact exchange rate with no cash withdrawal fees. Halifax clarity is the one I have.

Depends on your card as rates vary quite a lot.

A few give you the exact exchange rate with no cash withdrawal fees. Halifax clarity is the one I have.

I use a standard Halifax Bank cash card. I can't remember to be honest how the exchange rate compared to a travel agent rate last time I was there but I think I got charged about 1.5% on top. I'd have to double check that to be certain.

Edit: actually 2.75%

Edited by Huddersfield

just had a wee look at the £ against the € kicking near 144 to the £ so you should get a tourist rate of 140 to the pound think it's the highest it's been for about 7 years any one mind was the highest rate was ?

Highest I can remember was around 1.48 just before the crash.

Here's the rate fluctuations for the last 10 years. People forget that from its conception in 2002 until around 2008, the Euro knocked around at about 1.45 to the Pound. It's only since 2008 that the Euro strengthened and the Pound weakened, giving average rates of around 1.20.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=10Y

Edited by Rossy