Premiership Play Off Final ' Well V Gers - Page 29 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Premiership Play Off Final ' Well V Gers

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to note that Motherwell, Alloa, Stenhousmuir and Montrose all maintained their position in their respective leagues. None of the 11 teams that finished in a promotion play-off position managed to win promotion via the play-offs.

Do the play-offs favour the team avoiding relegation too much?

Are there significant differences between the leagues?

Or is it just a bit of a co-incidence this season?

Just a co-incidence, but that won't stop the rules being changed to the top two going up from the championship next season (you know, just in case!) :yikes3:

Personally I found the lead up to the play offs exciting, Hibs and Rangers both throwing away opportunities to wrap second place up but the actual play offs themselves I've found to be long drawn out too much.

2nd v 3rd yes but a week between the 4th v 3rd clashes were a bit ott imho

Congratulations to motherwell and I think a few people on here need to show a bit if dignity and remember that this is a Scotland fans forum first and foremost.

Some of the taunting of the bears is way ott , especially when you consider that they were only 6 goals from promotion.

Peter, you are a changed man. Fine post. Dignified!

Laughable indeed. Won't miss them next season in the slightest.

Yep another peaceful season in the top tier.

Had a guy at work spouting the old "all the other teams miss rangers in the top league, they need them etc etc"

He was told that everyone js delighted they arent back up and there is no need for them at all.

As for this season then the players, McCoist and McDowall are culpable in one of the most shambolic seasons in our 143 year history. The management team overseen a group of players that do not deserve to be labelled professionals. There are a couple of exceptions but I won't name them. I expect nothing less than a total sweeping of the decks in terms of the squad. I also think McCall needs to leave. We need a coach and a Director of Football at the club. Preferably no Rangers connections.

Larky - I have no reason to lie - I was 16 when I was at that game - hadn't heard of Larkhall "traditions" - I remember wondering why the orange banners were being paraded around before the start of the game. They definitely were - I have no doubt about that whatsoever.

You are a liar and a fantasist.

Larky - I have no reason to lie - I was 16 when I was at that game - hadn't heard of Larkhall "traditions" - I remember wondering why the orange banners were being paraded around before the start of the game. They definitely were - I have no doubt about that whatsoever.

You are a liar and a fantasist.

In retrospect I think you are getting confused with a "parade" before and the three pitch invasions by Thistle supporters that happened in the first half. That game had the most arrests at any football game in UK and 90% were from Larky, not our finest hour but there was not any sort of organised orange parade.

Except that most of the season they weren't playing against a shite mid table Championship club. Maybe they did play like that all season but were playing against better teams who still beat them easily.

Motherwell definitely found something extra from somewhere for the games against Rangers. No chance Thistle would have beaten Rangers had they finished second bottom.

In the cold light of day I'm just glad its all over . Did not enjoy a 6-1 agg thrashing of Rangers as much as I should have. Yesterday reminded me of how little I have missed the Rangers rolling in to town and all that goes with it, I think yesterday finally destroyed the myth that Rangers will be back to what they were. Yes they have a huge support and stadium but the days of their financial clout and influence in the corridors of power are gone.More importantly ,yesterday wiped out our fear,as a club and as supporters of everything surrounding that mob.Its like when you finally punch a bully then realise there was never anything to be scared of. Well done to the club for standing up on the ticket issue and well done to the players for standing up on the park. Not long ago we'd have rolled over on both accounts, A great end to a crap season and one I hope never to repeat

Motherwell definitely found something extra from somewhere for the games against Rangers. No chance Thistle would have beaten Rangers had they finished second bottom.

I very much doubt it even St Mirren (and I'm not patronising St Mirren here) would have beaten Rangers.

Edited by Larky Masher

I very much doubt it even St Mirren (and I'm not patronising St Mirren here)would have beaten Rangers.

Before the play-off, were we (well many of us) underestimating the gulf between Premiership and Championship teams?

Before the play-off, were we (well many of us) underestimating the gulf between Premiership and Championship teams?

I'm only commenting on the gulf between Rangers and the Premiership, it maybe had QoS or Hibs got through that they would have given Motherwell a closer game and based on Saturday the gulf isn't that wide.

I'm only commenting on the gulf between Rangers and the Premiership, it maybe had QoS or Hibs got through that they would have given Motherwell a closer game and based on Saturday the gulf isn't that wide.

Fair enough.