Brora Vs Montrose - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

That's it.

Why do West Ham, west brom get full houses? They are run of the mill mid table clubs but get the crowds.

Obviously they are watching a better product but I think the fact the EPL is so well advertised encourages folk to go. You used to see lots of empty seats in English games.

Don't forget just how densely populated some parts of England are. West Ham's catchment area has a greater population than Scotland's biggest city, for example. As for the increase in crowds, constant TV exposure may well have a lot to do with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to two leagues of 20 won't help crowds improve . Very poor logic to say crowds were bigger in the 70's so let's copy the league format then. They were bigger in the 50's but many things have changed.

Exciting meaningfull games like this attract crowds. Not lots of boring mid table meaningless games which is what you would get with leagues of 20. Top 3 get Europe and even 3 relegation spots leaves mountains of pointless games with certain teams never in contention for either end of the table.

Not logic, its facts.

5/4/75, East Fife 0 Montrose 4, crowd 2,248

30/3/75, Montrose 2 Stenhousemuir 1, crowd 1,200

4/5/75, Montrose 2 Hamilton 1, crowd 1,750, wednesday night game

13/4/75, Montrose 2 StMirren 1, crowd 2,000

Arbroath 0 Montrose 2, crowd 1,997

15/8/75 Montrose 4 East Fife 0, crowd 1,100

20/8/75 St Mirren 1 Montrose 2, crowd 1,900

23/8/75, East Fife 1 Montrose 1, crowd 1,844

27/8/75 Montrose 2 Raith 1, crowd 2,000, midweek game.

After 40 years I still have the scrapbook. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

Football played at 3 on a saturday and 7:30 on a wednesday. No live games on TV, people went and stood on the terraces and watched their local teams.

Montrose has/had a population of 10,000 back then. More than 10% of the population going to watch their home team play.

The stats don't lie.

Not logic, its facts.

After 40 years I still have the scrapbook. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

Football played at 3 on a saturday and 7:30 on a wednesday. No live games on TV, people went and stood on the terraces and watched their local teams.

Montrose has/had a population of 10,000 back then. More than 10% of the population going to watch their home team play.

The stats don't lie.

They don't lie, but they can be manipulated. The games in August 1975 were in the new First Division, and Montrose were pushing for promotion to the Premier Division.

Not logic, its facts.

The stats don't lie.

Lol sorry but this post is a nonsense.

Lots of other variables to take into account, society and attitude to football is completely different to 40 years ago. Its not as simple as copying the league format and getting the same sized crowds.

Like I said teams had even bigger crowds in the 40's and 50's so why did they drop? League reconstruction? Let's copy the 50's model and Hibs will get 40,000 crowds next week.

You could smoke in pubs then and gay marriage was illegal. Let's reverse them and crowds will boom. Same validity as your argument.

They don't lie, but they can be manipulated. The games in August 1975 were in the new First Division, and Montrose were pushing for promotion to the Premier Division.

Agreed. What about the figures for April, May and June?

That was the old Second division.

Lol sorry but this post is a nonsense.

Lots of other variables to take into account, society and attitude to football is completely different to 40 years ago. Its not as simple as copying the league format and getting the same sized crowds.

Like I said teams had even bigger crowds in the 40's and 50's so why did they drop? League reconstruction? Let's copy the 50's model and Hibs will get 40,000 crowds next week.

You could smoke in pubs then and gay marriage was illegal. Let's reverse them and crowds will boom. Same validity as your argument.

Why is it nonsense?

These figures are taken from various newspaper clippings of the day. Do you want to know the crowd when Montrose beat Hibs 3-1 after being down 1-0 from the game at Easter Road?

Personally I would prefer it to go back to the two leagues, as you used to play more teams throughout the season.

If you read my previous posts correctly, you will see that I am blaming TV for the death of football as we know it, and the reduction in attendance figures.

I agree with you in changing attitudes. Kids would prefer to sit on their arses all day watching the Ronaldos, Beckhams, Messis of this world, or playing it on their playstaions. We never had that option in our days.

Peever and myself used to use trees, or jumpers for goalposts, and rather than one of those overpaid Prima Donnas, we used to be a Charlie Guthrie, Kenny Watson or Harry Johnson, et al.

Those are the reasons that bigger leagues wouldn't see big crowd rises. Tv and other entertainment etc. I think that no matter the league size long gone are the days of massive crowds.

What I do think now though is that meaningless mid table games from half way through the season won't help. Only games that mean something see higher crowds such as this playoff game. We need more games that mean something, not less.