Orkney - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Orkney. Great ales, whisky. Sea cliffs, puffins, fishing. Primula Scotica. Quiet roads. Easy hills. Fantastic beaches. Good folk. Medieval Norway's best cathedral. 5,000 year old standing stones, tombs, skulls, villages, . Khyber Pass in Stromness. Windy as feck. St Boniface. Cheese. Spoots.

Nae midges.

I fukking love Orkney.

Nice pictures Bob, just back myself, a fantastic place, great scenery, history,whisky, food - chickens everywhere even on the round about in Kirkwall LOL, but the highlight for me was catching wild trout on the Harry loch in front of the Ring of Brodgar, Magic. :ok:

Bob, I've always loved your travel posts. I nominate you for TAMB travel correspondent.

:wub:

Nice pictures Bob, just back myself, a fantastic place, great scenery, history,whisky, food - chickens everywhere even on the round about in Kirkwall LOL, but the highlight for me was catching wild trout on the Harry loch in front of the Ring of Brodgar, Magic. :ok:

Wauchope, did you catch the trout by moonlight? Orkney's braw.

Orkney. Like Shetland, just flatter, greener, quieter, friendlier and with less heroin.

Grand photos Bob, glad you enjoyed your stay, you pretty much summed it up in your first post!

For any whisky fans, the Scapa Distillery now has a small visitor centre and is doing hourly tours - free dram included. Well worth a look if you're ticking them off the list.

that about sums it up tam :ok:

Also, Lib Demerism is a well known affliction in Orkney and Shetland, they all know fine they swim against the tide, god love them for it.

If they ended up going their own way constititionally I'd wish them luck, and still spend my tourist dollars in Orkney.

Orkney. Like Shetland, just flatter, greener, quieter, friendlier and with less heroin.

Grand photos Bob, glad you enjoyed your stay, you pretty much summed it up in your first post!

For any whisky fans, the Scapa Distillery now has a small visitor centre and is doing hourly tours - free dram included. Well worth a look if you're ticking them off the list.

The Scala malt is lovley stuff

I went to Orkney a few years back. Terrific place - been to Shetland previously, but enjoyed Orkney much more - people friendlier, greeny landscapes and the derelict farm houses littered across the island definitely were charming.

That accent hell - wonderful, yet impossible to comprehend after a few beers though.

There's a great folk singing family from there. Ivan and Kris Drever - really nice folk music.

Wauchope, did you catch the trout by moonlight? Orkney's braw.

Fished it in the afternoons, some days were un fishable due to the wind, but the days I did get out made up for it.

resized%20troot_zpsvtmnkrdf.jpg

Beautiful fish. Cannae beat a wild brownie.