Labour/ Conservative Grand Coalition - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Labour/ Conservative Grand Coalition

Simple question - will it or won't it happen?

Is the Westminster establishment so appalled at the idea of the Scots having a say in the running of the UK that they would go this far?

Would Cameron, Miliband (and to a lesser extent, Clegg) be willing to do whatever it takes to stop a permanent transfer of power north of the border?

7 months ago, in the days prior to the referendum, did they not do whatever was necessary to stop a permanent transfer of power north of the border? Has a precedent not already been set. The lies, the threats and the vow all put together had a particular feel about it. Wouldn't a grand coalition feel the same. That same 'Whoah! Didn't see that coming!"

It's hard to believe that the potential outcome of a general election could be just as sensational as a Yes vote but that is what we are facing at the moment.

Scottish voters effectively booting the current Prime Minister out of 10 Downing Street. No UK Conservative governments for the next 10, 20 years. Assuming the number of SNP seats hovers around the 45 to 50 mark for years to come, the Conservatives would continue to require a phenomenally large number of seats in order to command a majority over a Lab/ SNP coalition seeing as a Con/ SNP coalition is never going to happen on Ms 'I'm old enough to remember Thatcher' Sturgeon's watch.

That's an incredible turnaround considering the EVEL question posed by Cameron on the morning of the referendum result had everyone saying 'there are so many Scottish Labour MPs, they'll never form a government again. That's the end of Labour'. Now, only a few months later, the Conservatives could be facing the same fate.

So, simple question (go easy on me for asking it because, as I said at the beginning, in September 2014 the establishment did what it had to do to protect itself):

Conservative/ Labour Coalition - yes or no?

If Labour were party to such a stunt, they would be finished in Scotland for a generation, if not forever.

Would be a repeat of indyref in being seen arm in arm together, Would be the biggest suicide note in political history.

I don't think that death would be limited to Scotland.

Won't happen in my humble opinion.

No.....unless EdM's Labour decide to close the branch office for good.

How funny then if Murphy were to win and be the only Slab MP, and yet be committed, as he said today, to seeing out the full 5 year term and not having a seat in Holyrood.

I'd love it, really love it.....

If Tories have more than 20 seats in front, can see Milliband having Labour abstaining on a Queens speech with a view to then toppling them on a grandstanding vote of no confidence after a couple of months. That way Milliband wouldnt get the animosity of "stealing" the election in the eyes of the English voters.

I'm convinced that if Miliband has less seats than the Tories and labour are wiped out in Scotland , then Milband will regard Scotland as dead to labour anyway . In that scenario he will stay in opposition rather than subject labour to further weakening in England. He will stress that he couldn't work with the nationalists.

Interesting to see what happens then - who forms any sort of government. If Miliband and the Lib Dems outseat the Tories then I think they will try to establish a coalition.

If SNP are forced out of any say then can see constitutional crisis.

I'm surprised the right-wing press in England haven't demanded it yet.

I'd love it to happen...it would kill off Scottish Labour completely and almost certainly guarantee independence down the line.

Yep could you imagine effectively locking Scotland out of the Westminster democratic process simply because we had the temerity to vote for who we wnated to ? it would cause a constitutional crisis. they would effectively be saying we were welcome to vote as long as its only for the Tory's/ Labour.

I was at a seminar last week and the speaker was suggesting it could happen. He was German though and what works in Germany is not the same as what might or might not work here.

His rationale was it would allow Dave to renege on an EU ref by saying 'Ed won't let me' and Ed to renege on a host of promises saying 'Dave won't let me'.

He was genuine but I'm not sure he really appreciates the potential fall out.