Twitter - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 minutes ago, phart said:

I'm pretty sure i remember the posts at the time. and it was either of the two points i said above. Of course my memory could be faulty i'm almost certain you gave a reason at the time.

I was sick fed up defending my username in football discussions

After George Square on Sept 19th 2014 i couldnt be arsed going through the same rigmarole in Politics

The "Rangers signing policy" not bothering or embarrassing me is a shitty low blow but not unexpected

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Only if you went on the assumption that Bear related to Rangers - which it didnt and i have explained ad nauseam

If you dont believe me ask Aaid

I await your apology for that slur

True enough.  I first met Ally in Athens in 1994 and I've always known him as a Hamilton Accies fan.

37 minutes ago, aaid said:

True enough.  I first met Ally in Athens in 1994 and I've always known him as a Hamilton Accies fan.

Athens in 94, my first away trip as a young lad. 

Stayed in the official travel club hotel, naive as hell, met Alan Simonson in a bar and chatted about Charlton Athletic, split my head open on the 1st night , went to the U21 game at AEK stadium, I think McCann scored,  and froze my nads off in the Olympic stadium as we toiled to a 1 0 defeat.

Duncan Ferguson started and all we did was lump it long. Couldnt get into any clubs in Athens apart from a heavy metal club.  

In the hotel there was some Jambos that were pissed off that the outdoor swimming pool was shut. Its was 1 degree...... They were expecting sun and a tan.  

Some happy memories. 

11 minutes ago, Dairbee said:

Stayed in the official travel club hotel, naive as hell, met Alan Simonson in a bar and chatted about Charlton Athletic, split my head open on the 1st night , went to the U21 game at AEK stadium, I think McCann scored,  and froze my nads off in the Olympic stadium as we toiled to a 1 0 defeat.

Duncan Ferguson started and all we did was lump it long. Couldnt get into any clubs in Athens apart from a heavy metal club.  

In the hotel there was some Jambos that were pissed off that the outdoor swimming pool was shut. Its was 1 degree...... They were expecting sun and a tan.  

Some happy memories. 

Lassie I know has a hotel booked in Lima for the Peru game because it has a rooftop pool. It’s not meant to be that hot at the end of May there. Scots at their best. :lol:

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

Lassie I know has a hotel booked in Lima for the Peru game because it has a rooftop pool. It’s not meant to be that hot at the end of May there. Scots at their best. :lol:

Brilliant, ill always remember the boy with the hump because he packed his trunks and ambre solaire and didnt get to use them.  

2 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Still warmer than a Scottish summer so not so daft really.

You'll be clammering for an invite when you're there. :D

2 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I was watching Tenable this afternoon and Peru has one of the top restaurants in the world 

1 minute ago, fringo said:

Still warmer than a Scottish summer so not so daft really.

You'll be clammering for an invite when you're there. :D

I was going to book the same digs actually but they were too expensive. But you’re right. If it’s warmer then I will be around chapping her door for a shot of the pool. :lol:

3 hours ago, aaid said:

I never thought he was a Ranger's fan I thought he changed his name cause he didn't want to keep getting called one cause he had bear in his name. My thinking was surely you'd not want bear in your name anyway cause of signing policies etc. If 2014 broke your back why doesn't 1690?

I wonder if @DonnyTJS can find the original thread. I thought i had brought this up at the time as well. We could maybe look.

I can't access the archive now to look.

Edited by phart

1 hour ago, phart said:

I never thought he was a Ranger's fan I thought he changed his name cause he didn't want to keep getting called one cause he had bear in his name. My thinking was surely you'd not want bear in your name anyway cause of signing policies etc. If 2014 broke your back why doesn't 1690?

I wonder if @DonnyTJS can find the original thread. I thought i had brought this up at the time as well. We could maybe look.

I can't access the archive now to look.

The archive seems to be down at the moment; hope it can be sorted.

Still, I agree that AB in both his manifestations was an Accies / women's bottoms fan but, like you, it always struck me as an odd choice of user-name for a Scottish football board ... .

I occasionally revert to 'Ally Bear' because the alternative just reminds me of the television magician, and for some reason AB's posting persona seems so very different - typing the original moniker reduces the cognitive dissonance.

1 hour ago, DonnyTJS said:

The archive seems to be down at the moment; hope it can be sorted.

Still, I agree that AB in both his manifestations was an Accies / women's bottoms fan but, like you, it always struck me as an odd choice of user-name for a Scottish football board ... .

I occasionally revert to 'Ally Bear' because the alternative just reminds me of the television magician, and for some reason AB's posting persona seems so very different - typing the original moniker reduces the cognitive dissonance.

Well Bear is a tricky one. I found out about below from someone who was calling me a bear in a bar once.

In male gay culture, a bear is often a larger, hairier man who projects an image of rugged masculinity. Bears are one of many LGBT communities with events, codes, and a culture-specific identity. However, in San Francisco in the 70s any hairy man of whatever shape was referred to as a 'bear' until the term was appropriated by larger men and other words had to be found to describe hairy other-shaped men such as otter (slim) or wolf [1](medium-build).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_(gay_culture)

20 minutes ago, phart said:

Well Bear is a tricky one. I found out about below from someone who was calling me a bear in a bar once.

In male gay culture, a bear is often a larger, hairier man who projects an image of rugged masculinity. Bears are one of many LGBT communities with events, codes, and a culture-specific identity. However, in San Francisco in the 70s any hairy man of whatever shape was referred to as a 'bear' until the term was appropriated by larger men and other words had to be found to describe hairy other-shaped men such as otter (slim) or wolf [1](medium-build).

Fascinating. You'd think that the connotations of 'bear' would be fairly obvious and fixed in the culture of a Scottish football board, but perhaps Ally B was trying to broaden its reach.

The large, hairy male aspect brings to mind Bob 'The Bear' Hite (frontman of Canned Heat, and quite possibly a gay Rangers supporter for all I know. The band also contained Alan 'The Owl' Wilson, who was definitely a huge Wednesday fan):

Edited by DonnyTJS

The most controversial post I ever saw on this board happened in the depths of the memorabilia boards, i can't find it anymore i had it saved on my old computer and if i could produce it I would now, at the time i just left it as it was a random convo in a post about badges or something.

8 hours ago, Dairbee said:

Some happy memories. 

8 hours ago, Dairbee said:

Brilliant, ill always remember the boy with the hump because he packed his trunks and ambre solaire and didnt get to use them.  

So your saying quasi modo was a jambo :lol:

10 hours ago, phart said:

You do know that policy ended circa 1985 dont you ya fucking skunk ?

8 hours ago, phart said:

I’m a right hairy hoor and I keep getting invited to a mate’s Son’s hoose who stays in San-Fran. He’s gay too. Maybe best I go to a waxing salon first now. 

21 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I’m a right hairy hoor and I keep getting invited to a mate’s Son’s hoose who stays in San-Fran. He’s gay too. Maybe best I go to a waxing salon first now. 

You'll be passed aboot like a waterskin in the desert.