Nyc Shows - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nyc Shows

Fish Gills Mcginty

Cant recommend any shows specifically but get yourself down to the TKTS Discount Booths in Times Square and you can pick up tickets for Broadway and off broadway shows for upto 50% off. We picked a couple of random off broadway shows and it was a decent laugh. Apparently queues can be quite bad sometimes but wasnt too bad when I was there.

There is an app and website now for tracking whats on sale.

I've got the app, it looks good aye,

Mark, that's about Fankie Vallie aye? Men signing Falsetto freaks me oot.

haha.. I wasn't overly keen at the thought of it, but it had been recommended to us and the tickets were available at the 1/2 price TKTS Booth (that Donaldo mentioned, although we used the one near Pier 17 - apparently less busy), so we ended up at the show.. and loved it.

N.B. The movie version (2014) doesn't do it justice.

Went to see Avenue Q in New York at the start of this month because it's not on in London any more. It's pretty funny.

Book of Mormon is still on in London so will probably tour Britain when it's run finishes so you can wait till it comes to you.

I can't recommend Book of Mormon strongly enough. I'm not in to theatre at all and my missus dragged me along when we where there on honeymoon last year but I'm so glad she did! One of the smartest, funniest things I've ever seen in any genre. It's not for the easily offended mind you (it's from the guys that created South Park so that gives you an idea of the type of humour) but if you can get that they are making fun out people who believe in the things they're talking about you'll really, really enjoy it. I also guarantee you'll come away with about half a dozen or so of the songs stuck in your head!!

I was in New York again this year and we went to see "It's Only a Play". We picked it mainly because it had an excellent cast (Matthew Broderick, Stockard Channing, Martin Short & F.Murray Abraham) and also because it was on the 2 for 1 offer at the TKTS booth but it was absolute pish. 5 or 6 uninteresting characters telling an uninteresting story made all the worse by undoubtedly the worst, most wooden acting performance ever by Broderick. Avoid at all costs.

I went to Avenue Q when I was there. A bit like Sesame Street but with shagging, casual racism and fighting.

One tip for you, DON'T buy from TKTS booths. Yes they are cheaper than some places but they still add their commission. There will be individual sellers, who work direct for the Theatre's kicking around so look out for them. We were just ready to join the queue at Times Square when a seller approached us. Had all the proper ID and had a facility to take card payments and print receipts. We got front row seats cheaper than the TKTS booths seats and no commission added. Saved us about £40.

Decent show btw but no idea if its still on. If I was going now I think I'd go to Jersey Boys

Ah that's interesting, just about everyone I've asked says to use TKTS!

Avenue Q is still on, sounds like my kinda thing.

Might go to Blue Man Group as well.

I used TKTS and thought they were fine. Certainly don't recall any commission being charged and we got the tickets for half price for a Saturday night show (albeit the show was shite!). You'll need to be prepared to sacrifice about 2 hours out of your day though. From memory I think the booths open at 3pm and we started queuing about 1415 and there were already another 100 or so ahead of us. Probably took till about 1545 to get served. Was worth being there early though as by the time 3pm came there were hundreds behind us in the queue. Another hint, if you do intend to use the TKTS booths, is to go to the one at South Street Sea Port if you can. It's much less known and therefore less popular/busy than the Times Sq one so likely to spend less time queuing although it is a bit of a ball ache to get to.

I used to go to New York quite regulalry for theatre and use TKTS a fair amount - have never had an issue and got some pretty great seats at a decent price. I know the ticket windows for musicals can take a while, but for plays there is a seperate line and it's generally quite short - never more than ten minutes.

Have bought once from the guys selling indpendently and that was fine too. You can also ask direclty at the theatre before shows if they have 'rush tickets' which are basically last minute discounted seats - someties works, sometimes doesn't - and better for shows that don't have big names.

Missed New York last year, and probably not going back until Spetember, so can't recommend anything on at the moment. Time Out New York ususally has a good review section and I find them quite good, also New York Times. Worth taking times to read the review page or at least to scan which shows are geting high stars, because as Fairbairn points out, big stars don't guarantee a great show, and some no name productions can be fantastic.

If you like immersive theatre - Slep No More - is still on in NYC. An amazing experience where you walk round a five story warehouse wearing a mask and your within the play - it's a Punchdrunk production, and one of their best!

BAM in Brooklyn do some interesting stuff, and you almost always get fantastic drama at the Lincoln Centre - often with decent prices.

TT

Edited by TartanTeddy

While I'm at it someone tell me good areas for boozers? I'm staying in the Hilton on 6th Avenue for 6 nights then the Archer hotel for 4 nights.

Avoid the area surrounding Times Sq. Overly expensive "Tourist" bars. In saying that, we found once nice we place not far from your hotel (Hilton). It's on (I think) 52nd Street and called McGee's. It's the pub that the one from TV show How I Met Your Mother was based on and while they have a few posters up and some merch for sale they don't ram it down your throat. They've got decent happy hour offers, nice food and the staff were some of the friendliest I encountered. The other pubs we drank in were all further downtown around 28th - 30th Streets so would be closer to your other hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

Going to see Book of Mormon and Les Miserables in New York in August. Have seen Les Mis in London, but the guy playing Valjean on Broadway at the moment has an awesome voice so really, really looking forward to seeing it again. Got lucky, 'cos we booked tickets then discovered we would be at his last Saturday night show before he gives up the role :)

I saw Avenue Q off Broadway a few years back and it was absolutely superb so if you've still got some free time, I can't recommend it highly enough.