Don't Come Home Too Soon - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Don't Come Home Too Soon

Stuart87

Del Amitri are what I would describe as musicians for musicians. Jarvis cockers comments are interesting and don't surprise me one bit. There is a very fine line between having real talent and actually making it big in the music industry. Case in point t, I've paid money several times to go and see Ian brown and the guy can't sing a note :)

Very talented lads and it is a good song, just not as a football song IMO. For something like this you either need a band that is very well known or attach a gimmick to it that appeals to the masses.

'three Lions' is an obvious example of this but alsolook at 'Vindaloo'. Utter pish, musically, when compared with Del Amitri but is still a lot better known as a fitba song.

To op it wasn't very well received, not at all in fact.

As someone who loves "Don't Come Home Too Soon", I'm going to return fire here.

I hate "Ally's Tartan Army" :wave: and an even worse one, the name of which escapes me, (anyone know it ?) that Andy Cameron made for the 1982 World Cup. Utter garbage.

If you've got Spotify, search for "Scottish World Cup Anthems" and you'll find a 39 minute album from 1998. Listen to such musical gems like "Fergie's Fusiliers" and "Big Trip to Mexico" amongst others. Some absolutely awful stuff on there.

On a more positive note, I always turn up the volume for "We Have A Dream", "Purple Heather" and "Don't Come Home Too Soon". :guitar:

I hate "Ally's Tartan Army" :wave: and an even worse one, the name of which escapes me, (anyone know it ?) that Andy Cameron made for the 1982 World Cup. Utter garbage.

If you've got Spotify, search for "Scottish World Cup Anthems" and you'll find a 39 minute album from 1998. Listen to such musical gems like "Fergie's Fusiliers" and "Big Trip to Mexico" amongst others. Some absolutely awful stuff on there.

On a more positive note, I always turn up the volume for "We Have A Dream", "Purple Heather" and "Don't Come Home Too Soon". :guitar:

The B-side to Big Trip to Mexico is actually better than the A-side (song called "Carry the Hopes of Scotland")

The best Scottish football song must be The Big Man and The Scream Team Meet The Barmy Army Uptown from Euro 96.This kind of slipped under the radar at the time.

Don`t know how to paste on here so try this address

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCWPGpI3GWE

The best Scottish football song must be The Big Man and The Scream Team Meet The Barmy Army Uptown from Euro 96.This kind of slipped under the radar at the time.

Don`t know how to paste on here so try this address

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCWPGpI3GWE

Hated that song.... It's hardly a Scotland song and just a dig at Rangers.

Greenock Tartan Army sold Scotland CD's on TAMB years ago and that was on it.

Think he had a Que Sara song?

Official record of course was "I have a Dream", very cheesy but likeable. The Children in Need version in 2008 was horrendous though, very cringeworthy!

Official record of course was "I have a Dream", very cheesy but likeable. The Children in Need version in 2008 was horrendous though, very cringeworthy!

I remember when the video for it was released and watching it with my head in my hands because it was so bad..... the "solo" version by BA Robertson with just the Hampden sing along was alright

Nah, wasn't that.

The chorus to this particular musical travesty went something like: "Bonnie Scotland going to Spain, bonnie Scotland singing again, we're lions in the old dark blue, bonnie Scotland for me and you."

One of the worst songs you'll ever hear.

What was the song that goes "from the terraces of hampden,to the stadiums of France,you will hear a million voices,sing for Scotland's chance,with the passion of a nation,lion rampants in the air,we'll be there,we'll be there.

Love that song,just don't know the name of it.

What was the song that goes "from the terraces of hampden,to the stadiums of France,you will hear a million voices,sing for Scotland's chance,with the passion of a nation,lion rampants in the air,we'll be there,we'll be there.

Love that song,just don't know the name of it.

"Scotland be Bad" by Tony Roper isn't it?

I remember that time very well. Yes, it went down badly.

Here we are, it's summer time, Scotland are playing in the opening game of the World Cup, and it's Brazil. Magic! Does it get any better! And then contrast that wonderful feeling of excitement and positivity with...

"And I don't care what people say, we can laugh it all away"

That was the line that annoyed me the most - 'aye, we know they're all taking the p1ss out of Scotland because they think we're crap, but we'll try to rise above it'. The cringe of that - I hated it. F--- that for a game of soldiers, we're in the World Cup, we deserve to be there, and let's enjoy it - that was what we should have had!

I remember that time very well. Yes, it went down badly.

Here we are, it's summer time, Scotland are playing in the opening game of the World Cup, and it's Brazil. Magic! Does it get any better! And then contrast that wonderful feeling of excitement and positivity with...

"And I don't care what people say, we can laugh it all away"

That was the line that annoyed me the most - 'aye, we know they're all taking the p1ss out of Scotland because they think we're crap, but we'll try to rise above it'. The cringe of that - I hated it. F--- that for a game of soldiers, we're in the World Cup, we deserve to be there, and let's enjoy it - that was what we should have had!

That was the stand out line for me. We did deserve to be there and I certainly enjoyed it - the song didn't say anything to the contrary. Maybe it was a little too subtle for some.......