Georgia Away Behind Closed Doors? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Georgia Away Behind Closed Doors?

Al2014

Uefa will decide on May 21 if Scotland's Euro 2016 qualifier with Georgia will be played behind closed doors, BBC Scotland understands.

They will meet to decide what sanctions, if any, the Georgian Football Federation will face following crowd disturbances at the weekend.

Twice play was halted in Tbilisi when supporters invaded the pitch during the 2-0 defeat to Germany on Sunday.

The Scottish FA are yet to hear anything formal from Uefa.

The GFF say it expects that, having violated rules, the minimum punishment will be a fine from Uefa's Control, Ethics and Disciplinary board.

However, they fear that their next home match - which is against Gordon Strachan's side in September - could be held in front of an empty stadium, impacting on Scottish supporters.

The sides have met already in Group D, where a deflected Shaun Maloney shot gave Scotland a 1-0 win at Ibrox in October.

Scotland kept their qualifying hopes alive with a 6-1 win over Gibraltar on Sunday, and are currently third on 10 points alongside world champions Germany.

Strachan's men face Republic of Ireland in Dublin in June before the trip to Georgia.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uefa will decide on May 21 if Scotland's Euro 2016 qualifier with Georgia will be played behind closed doors, BBC Scotland understands.

They will meet to decide what sanctions, if any, the Georgian Football Federation will face following crowd disturbances at the weekend.

Twice play was halted in Tbilisi when supporters invaded the pitch during the 2-0 defeat to Germany on Sunday.

The Scottish FA are yet to hear anything formal from Uefa.

The GFF say it expects that, having violated rules, the minimum punishment will be a fine from Uefa's Control, Ethics and Disciplinary board.

However, they fear that their next home match - which is against Gordon Strachan's side in September - could be held in front of an empty stadium, impacting on Scottish supporters.

The sides have met already in Group D, where a deflected Shaun Maloney shot gave Scotland a 1-0 win at Ibrox in October.

Scotland kept their qualifying hopes alive with a 6-1 win over Gibraltar on Sunday, and are currently third on 10 points alongside world champions Germany.

Strachan's men face Republic of Ireland in Dublin in June before the trip to Georgia.

God, that's a bit of a worry for all those already booked ! If UEFA do take serious sanctions, I don't suppose it's beyond the realms of possibility that they could order them to play it at a neutral venue ?

I can image that it would be good for our chances if it was an empty stadium.

Aye, or even better at a neutral venue, where we would have the bigger support. Still, would really feel for those that have already booked, especially given the difficulty and cost of getting there.

Just a thought - Is this real, or just another April Fools joke ?

Just a thought - Is this real, or just another April Fools joke ?

Its real......... the story has been going around since Sunday and most the media outlets have reported the story yesterday (think most wanted it out yesterday knowing what today was)

Was even on the news last night..... was in the other room and wife shouted through "looks like you are not going to Georgia!"

So looking forward to this trip, hope it goes ahead in Georgia.

What makes it look bleak is uefa will be dishing out fines and punishment to Montenegro, Russia rep of ire and Poland on same date of the Georgia hearing which they will want to make an example off for the security and fans behaviour at these games.

wouldn't disagree with a three point deduction for each roi and poland and georgia. I wish

Edited by washboarder

Have they had any offences before?

If not id be amazed if they closed the stadium

One club team currently having to play their European games behind closed due to troubles with fans, but UEFA seem to be good at keeping club football and international football separate.

I think UEFA will come down heavy on Montenegro, as I think they have previous (but seems to be if its from a FIFA event, then FIFA are the ones who deal with it and is carried over to the next world cup..... ie. Ukraine have to play their first 2/3 games in the next World Cup behind closed doors for trouble against England in 2013)

One club team currently having to play their European games behind closed due to troubles with fans, but UEFA seem to be good at keeping club football and international football separate.

I think UEFA will come down heavy on Montenegro, as I think they have previous (but seems to be if its from a FIFA event, then FIFA are the ones who deal with it and is carried over to the next world cup..... ie. Ukraine have to play their first 2/3 games in the next World Cup behind closed doors for trouble against England in 2013)

Be a if we draw Ukraine away in September 16.

J

Montenegro are f&cked mate!

Great news for ye guys if yere georgia game is behind closed doors...........obvious pity for any scot who has booked..........but i am open to correction to here, but havent they banned home supporters from access into the stadium and allowed away support attend? Or did i dream that?

You have to wonder what goes through the mindset of these fans that cause this trouble and ultimate its the team that suffers...idiots!

Games have been played in the past behind closed doors but have let away fans in. Serbia v NI was the most recent example.

Even if they were to have a ban I would be very surprised if they never allowed away fans to attend. 100s have already booked so would be very harsh.

For the Serbia v NI game UEFA offered incentives of Europa League final tickets (played on Dublin) to fans who had booked and never travelled. Around 200 did travel though and watched the game inside the stadium.

Edited by tartanpar

Be a if we draw Ukraine away in September 16.

J

Was case with Russia for the first 3 games of this campaign after behavior of their fans at the Euro Finals in 2012.*

Think this is a case of first offence for Georgia, and though the actions of the fans were not violent, chances are strong that UEFA will just slap a fine on then, with it a mark against their name for any future trouble, and at worst a section of the stadium closed off.

Total shut out will be the last and most extreme option.

*Just double checked this and looks like Russia were able to appeal it, as they have had fans in at their first home games.

Edited by wanderer

Since UEFA let us into that game against Serbia they appear to have taken a more hardline attitude. They locked man city, bayern, and Denmark (?) Fans out of games were they were innocent parties.

If this is Georgia's first offence there shouldn't be a problem for yourselves. In October we were waiting on a similar decision for our game away in Romania after there were disturbances at the earlier Hungary v Romania game. Romania's punishment was monetary and also sections of the romanian end closed.

As for the results of that outcome. ....it came about a week after its intended date.

Montenegro on the other hand are in big trouble. ....feel sorry for Liechtenstein and Austria fans (Montenegro's next two home opponents)

Believe this issue of punishing third parties was brought up by 'football supporters Europe' with their meeting with UEFA earlier this month. .....according to FSE there was a refusal of any movement on the issue by UEFA.

Since UEFA let us into that game against Serbia they appear to have taken a more hardline attitude. They locked man city, bayern, and Denmark (?) Fans out of games were they were innocent parties.

Yep, was played in a empty Partizan stadium after the trouble at the Albania game just a month before (be interesting to see what the Danish fans got out of that) and I think their next game (Armenia?) is to get the same treatment.