Ni Fans - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ni Fans

Squirrelhumper

Their singing certainly came across as being in a "North British" accent on the radio...

I was working so couldn't get to the game. Just finished watching it. Their songs were sung in a scottish accent predominately. Had the misfortune of passing the Bristol bar in glasgow today. Scots in n.ireland tops galore. What a bizarre mentality?

Had I not been working I'd have given this a miss. My few experiences with the fans of Northern Ireland have been less than pleasant. Particularly in Dublin. I know why a certain type of scot would find being part of this support attractive. I want nothing to do with their support. Not a fixture I'd ever attend again on a non competitive basis. SFA feck up again, not only in terms of ranking/seeding points but fans appetite for enduring a bigotfest.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was working so couldn't get to the game. Just finished watching it. Their songs were sung in a scottish accent predominately. Had the misfortune of passing the Bristol bar in glasgow today. Scots in n.ireland tops galore. What a bizarre mentality?

Had I not been working I'd have given this a miss. My few experiences with the fans of Northern Ireland have been less than pleasant. Particularly in Dublin. I know why a certain type of scot would find being part of this support attractive. I want nothing to do with their support. Not a fixture I'd ever attend again on a non competitive basis. SFA feck up again, not only in terms of ranking/seeding points but fans appetite for enduring a bigotfest.

Nail on head with the SFA up, i said exactly the same. was horrible last time we played them.

Can only imagine the NI support was infested by knuckle dragging Glaswegian bigots. Sounds like a replica of the ROI friendly at Hampden a good few years back when the genuine ROI punters were outnumbered by Celtic fans chanting about Martin O'Neill and Henrik Larsson.

Think we consign these sort of friendlies to the bin. It only attracts the worst of the gene pool. Wouldn't want to tar all NI fans with the same brush as the ones I came across in Dublin in 2011 were brand new and only wanted to talk about football.

Their singing certainly came across as being in a "North British" accent on the radio...

our support (NI) were pathetic last night with our extended songbook that we seem to save for when we play u or the ROI. scotland away in a friendly willl always bring that out in our support. I do think 50% is to get a reaction though and the certainly got that-the other 50% seems to be something we cant rid ourselves from. I didnt hear too many scottish accents in our end last night however I heard a few lads booing davis and latterty-our best players when their names were read out so I assume there were some in there.

Was at the game, and in the Clockwork before where there were a fair number of NI fans. I never saw anyone wearing Scottish club tops or heard any Scottish accents amongst the NI support. Some of their songs were aimed at provoking a reaction but also unnecessary, thankfully the majority of TA couldn't be arsed! Is booing GSTQ not just as unnecessary? To be fair the NI lads I met were good eggs and I have witnessed far worse behaviour from TA on trips. I don't suppose that view will go down well with those on here with an agenda but it was my experience.

The bit in bold is just nonsense. Absolute nonsense.

i will never get how any scot can support a team against their own country, Brainwashed comes to mind, although i watched one of these god channels to which a minister guy said, 'people say i have been brainwashed by the church! thank god for that because my brain was full of rubbish before! :blink:

Got to admit, the NI fans we encountered in Dublin really were an awful bunch.

They were goading and challenging anyone that walked past the Lansdowne. Intimidating to many decent supporters.

Not tarring them all btw, but they do have a proper ned element.

jock strap, on 26 Mar 2015 - 07:43 AM, said:

They were goading and challenging anyone that walked past the Lansdowne. Intimidating to many decent supporters.

I....agree...with....Jock Strap..... (i'm away for a lie down)

I am. Utter filth to a man. Feel sorry for any bairn being brought up in that horrible country, not a hope in hell.

Met many a sound Northern Irish man and women.

In 2009 the fans we came across in the pub were fine, happy to chat away about football, no trouble etc. less said about those we encountered walking to and from Hampden

My my what a lot of bitter and twisted people on here, desperate to get offended by anything.

Very touchy about some songs. Who reality cares, I don't. They can sing what they like.

Agreed.... And we aren't exactly perfect booing an opposing teams national anthem.... Pathetic

It's a divided decisive country. How they hope to attract Catholic kids to commit to them is beyond me.

No wonder they leech over the border to the Republic.

I wouldn't want to play in a team full of UJ waving, no surrendering, God Saving the Queen, pish.

And I'm an athiest who has never been to NI.

J

Yes, I witnessed a lot of that and we were called fenian bassas on more than one occasion but wasn't just us they were trying to intimate. I witnessed what looked like a local woman and 2 kids getting abuse from them as she walked past.

Again though I certainly wouldn't tar them all with the same brush. In 2005 when we went to Slovenia we had a night in Vienna on route and hadn't realised N Ireland were playing in Vienna. We ended up in a bar packed with them and they were all true football fans who wanted to follow their country And enjoy themselves. we had a great night and made to feel very welcome. I try to remember them rather than the bigoted neds I saw in Dublin.

Met many a sound Northern Irish man and women.

In 2009 the fans we came across in the pub were fine, happy to chat away about football, no trouble etc. less said about those we encountered walking to and from Hampden

You're lucky. Never met a decent one in my life, so it's hard for me to believe they exist. The far superior people they share their island with on the other hand. Magnificent and friendly bunch!

The NI guys in our hotel in Dublin were sound - it was the buses that arrived on the day of the game that brought the trouble that day .Last time at Hampden there were Rangers neds in the Scotland end misbehaving until they were hounded out .How the SFA thought we needed to have more shit sang at us so soon after the morris dancers were in town beggars belief and shows how out of touch with the TA they are at the moment.