Scott Arfield Wanted By Canada - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott Arfield Wanted By Canada

wanderer

Sorry so every championship player should be considered?? You summed it up perfectly he is a decent player....if decent is as good as you can describe someone then they aren't good enough for International football. Which is back to my point just because you are eligible to play doesn't mean you're good enough.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, it's just bad luck for Arfield that there are so many midfielders competing for a spot just now.

I don't think any of us wish him ill-will for choosing Canada. Indeed, he could have switched to them years ago when he was at Falkirk and have gotten a number of caps for them by now.

I certainly wouldn't wish him any ill if he chose to play for Canada. I said before it before, it wouldn't surprise me if Canada make an appearance at a major finals before Scotland. If his main aim is to play international football then Canada is probably his quickest route at this stage. Fair play to him.

Arfield is quite a different kettle of fish from James McCarthy, who, in my view, would enhance our side and is at an age where he will almost certainly get better.

This is embarrassing just because someone is eligible for Scotland doesn't mean he is good enough....Scott Arfield FFS!!!! Amount of folk on here that cream their pants over nobodys is getting ridiculous.

Aye, but that's just reflective of the level we are at now, unfortunately. 20 years ago a player of Arfield's calibre would barely even be on the radar. To be fair, neither would a lot of players in the current squad.

....Scott Arfield FFS!!!! Amount of folk on here that cream their pants over nobodys is getting ridiculous.

Well, the small number Canadians that closely follow our men's national football team are creaming their pants at the thought of him playing for us. :bouncy::wub:

I will be crestfallen if he get's and accepts a Scotland call for late March.

If he joins Canada in March instead he will have a chance to play in one of the cathedrals of world football, the

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_Azteca(when we play away in Mexico City).

He has been an ever present and a linchpin in a team that won promotion, kept his place throughout their premiership season and has continued again this season, again at the top end of the championship. He is a decent player playing consistently at a good level and is fully worthy of consideration for Scotland. It is true to say his time has probably past, but the way he is being dismissed is unnecessarily disrespectful.

That's what you need to be a starter for Canada! We've had a running joke that many of our national team players were playing for Unattached FC! (Things are better now). David Edgar, a key defender for us plays in League One for Sheffield United.

EDIT: Arfield, if Canada do well enough to get to the next round of qualifiers (the HEX), and Arfield helps lead them there, he could land himself some adverts or marketing contracts.

Canada doesn't love football like Scotland does but in a country of 35 million, he could be the face Canadian football vs from what you have all said, perhaps on the bench in a country of 5 million.

Edited by Je_ne_suis_pas_écossais

• 2 weeks later...

Another goal last night and MOTM vs Derby. Would like to see him called up to the upcoming friendly squads, especially if Strachan is experimenting with 2 different squads between the 2 matches...

You'd think it's likely he will get a call up and some minutes - Still unsure he is any better than other squad players we have but it would be silly not to give him a chance if another nation is eyeing him up and he is around the same level as what we have

We still have Robert Snodgrass and Barry Bannan to come back. Lot's of competition in central midfield.

If Arfield's submitted his paperwork in order to switch to Canada but then changes his mind, he'll be unable to play for either country for months such is the process.

We still have Robert Snodgrass and Barry Bannan to come back. Lot's of competition in central midfield.

If Arfield's submitted his paperwork in order to switch to Canada but then changes his mind, he'll be unable to play for either country for months such is the process.

Is that how it works? So.. For example, if Caulker is going to play for us in the coming friendlies he himself will already have submitted paperwork etc?

Is that how it works? So.. For example, if Caulker is going to play for us in the coming friendlies he himself will already have submitted paperwork etc?

Unbelievably, in this day and age with constantly advancing technology - FIFA and all the continental associations still require a player wishing to switch nationality to go through a lengthy paper based admin process. If a player has second thoughts about it, they then need to go through it all again. Takes a couple of months

• 2 weeks later...

Still believe Arfield deserves a chance with Scotland. Our loss is Canada's gain :(

I rate Arfield and think GS should give him a chance.

Would like to see him called up to the upcoming friendly squads

He won't be there lads (he'll be with us!) if the paperwork and his passport application go through:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/14258733.Canada_calling_for_Burnley_s_proud_Scott/

"...he can’t wait for his first trip to the land of the Maple Leaf."

and he's never actually set foot on Canadian soil! :rollsmile: How about that, eh? C'est trop génial!

Edited by Je_ne_suis_pas_écossais

He won't be there lads (he'll be with us!) if the paperwork and his passport application go through:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/14258733.Canada_calling_for_Burnley_s_proud_Scott/

"...he cant wait for his first trip to the land of the Maple Leaf."

and he's never actually set foot on Canadian soil! :rollsmile: How about that, eh? C'est trop génial!

And the very best of luck to him with Canada.

I've read some comments on the main Canadian fans forum that we on the TAMB have an arrogantly high opinion of Scottish players, we really don't, they are not great at all and most of us know that.

It's just that Arfield is really no better than the likes of other attacking midfield players like Matt Ritchie, Barry Bannan or Robert Snodgrass. And we hope to see young players such as Ryan Fraser, Ryan Gauld and Ryan Christie make the step up very soon. In short, Arfield just has too much competition ahead of him.

He goes to Canada with our best wishes naturally. :ok:

We've had a quite a few English born Scotland internationals in recent years who've never set foot in Scotland prior to playing for us !

In fact two from further afield are ....

Joe Kennaway, probably Canadian football's first real player of note. He won one cap for Canada in 1926 and moved to Scotland to replace the tragic John Thomson as Celtic goalie in 1931. The 1905 born Kennaway was from Montreal and the son of Scottish immigrant parents. As a result of the latter he won one cap for Scotland in 1933 against Austria's famous "Wunderteam". Unfortunately for Kennaway, the other home nations then strongly protested against Scotland fielding a "foreign player" and he never got to play for Scotland again.

The late John Hewie, who won nineteen caps for Scotland between 1956 and 1960, was born in 1927 to Scottish immigrant parents in South Africa and raised there before moving to England to play for Charlton Athletic. He didn't set foot in Scotland until 1953 to play in a B international.

Who cares?! I sure as hell don't. Maybe was due a chance but Surely we aren't that bad that we are gutted that he has switched to another country. If he was a defender then fair enough but a championship level player, we have enough of them as it is and he isn't good enough to improve us. Good luck to him with Canada

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Je_ne_suis_pas_écossais said:

You may now lock this thread and I couldn't be more delighted about it.

Don't get too excited, he's not very good. We're rank and he's about 10th in line for us. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Bannannan said:

Not wanting to annoy anyone ,would just like any opinions from our experts if they think he would be good enough to get into Aberdeen's starting eleven.:mellow:

Easily

On 19/03/2016 at 9:55 AM, Bannannan said:

Not wanting to annoy anyone ,would just like any opinions from our experts if they think he would be good enough to get into Aberdeen's starting eleven.:mellow:

Is that the requirement of playing for Scotland? 

6 minutes ago, Bannannan said:

You could answer the question just out of interest.

And you could answer mines... But seen as you haven't, i don't think i will either :ok: