Scotland Players In Action - Page 131 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

I don't think GS should change our formation and tactics this late in the campaign; he needs to have a Plan B in case we are in the sh*t against Poland but GS stated himself that the problem that he addressed when he took over from CL was that the players didn't have a formation where they all understood their roles. They have this now and changing too much will only introduce confusion.

The team showed a marked difference in desire against Germany and I hope that that transfers to the Polish game giving us the result we all want.

Yes I understand that but in the last couple of games our lack of a Plan B (especially in Georgia) killed us. I do see where posters are rounding on Steven Fletcher and understand why but if we stick with Strachan's 4-5-1 then Fletcher will start as is best-suited to that role up front alone but he is badly out of form. However, if we change things around and go two up front them my doubts would be if Rhodes/Griffiths came in at the expense of say Maloney or Anya who bring so much to the side when they strike me as not being up to international standard.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst SF isn't banging in the goals for us; he does a lot of link play allowing the midfields to come in to play. Rhodes is obviously a goal scorer but I cant see the hold up and link play in his game; he is an out and out striker, which means he doesn't fit in to GS's style.

I agree a plan B is needed and with Matt Richie in form he is a really good option to have and if we need to push for goals then Rhodes is surely an option if we change to 4-4-2 with SF feeding him.

Whilst SF isn't banging in the goals for us; he does a lot of link play allowing the midfields to come in to play. Rhodes is obviously a goal scorer but I cant see the hold up and link play in his game; he is an out and out striker, which means he doesn't fit in to GS's style.

I agree a plan B is needed and with Matt Richie in form he is a really good option to have and if we need to push for goals then Rhodes is surely an option if we change to 4-4-2 with SF feeding him.

Yes I held your view point until very recently but can empathise with those who have lost patience with Steven Fletcher. You are correct that Fletcher is the best we have at link-up play but it hasn't really benefited us recently. I'd go along with playing two strikers against Poland with Fletcher and Naismith up top but I really cannot see Strachan changing things this late in the campaign and we may pay for it.

What did Marshall get sent off for? Heard violent conduct but that was all I heard

Rotherham striker pulled at him when he had the ball in his hands so Marshall flicked his arm and then his foot at him. Ref restarted the game with a penalty the twat.

About as violent as my granny taking a shite.

My plan B

In the games against the top teams SF hasn't been effective as a striker, but he has created chances for others, from a midfield position.

Would like to see him drop off and play behind a pair of strikers, Naismith and Chris Martin. Naismith is used to playing with a big striker up front at Everton, and a he showed the other week, is a goalscorer too.

When Martin came on against the boche, he at least started to get in their faces, and is a big strong lad that a lot of defenders don't like playing against, SF hasn't shown that side of his game yet.

You obviously haven't worked in an old peoples home... there shies can be like some thing out of Saving Private Ryan. Why do you think they eat all those prunes!!!

All this chat about not enough time to learn a new system with 2 strikers. FFS these guys are paid to play football so they SHOULD be able to work it out and have surely done so before many times. Then again a professional footballer SHOULD at least attempt to kick the ball with both feet but as long as their link up play is good that's OK ;)

There is more to it Deeklipse than Strachan telling them they are playing two up front and everything slotting in to place. Two up front can be played in various ways as in a big striker alongside a smaller quicker striker with one feeding off the other or two more conventional strikers. Plus it is Strachan then implementing his own way of playing it. Lots of variables that could go wrong but I would prefer them playing that way and going down fighting.

<p>Anyone who thinks playing 2 centre forwards automatically makes a team more attacking, doesn't understand football tactics very well. </p>

Spot on. The formation Strachan is using allows us to have four advanced attacking players. Playing 2 strikers would half that! Our midfield would be pushed back and overrun by the 5 in Poland's midfield, leaving our 2 strikers with little supply. lewandowski will play upfront on his own. We unfortunately don't have a striker of his quality to play the role well and score the goals we need. Edited by gazayr

Rotherham striker pulled at him when he had the ball in his hands so Marshall flicked his arm and then his foot at him. Ref restarted the game with a penalty the twat.

So basically correct to the letter of the law but laughable in its violent content

<p>Anyone who thinks playing 2 centre forwards automatically makes a team more attacking, doesn't understand football tactics very well. </p>

I am advocating we change formations as the current formation isn't working. i don't think we need to change to become more attacking but we need to change in order to keep the ball better and thus allow us to create more chances. I think two up front would allow us to do this with the players we have.

Spot on. The formation Strachan is using allows us to have four advanced attacking players. Playing 2 strikers would half that! Our midfield would be pushed back and overrun by the 5 in Poland's midfield, leaving our 2 strikers with little supply. lewandowski will play upfront on his own. We unfortunately don't have a striker of his quality to play the role well and score the goals we need.

That's quite a leap.

That's not even true though :lol:

mcginn owned the midfield, set pieces were poor but he was top notch. A nod to shinnie for his zidane esque touch taking the ball down before he went off, but can we please put to bed any talk of pawlett getting a cap, his swan dive at that header was laughable. Also has anyone lost pace in such a short space of time as goodwillie? he makes mixu look rapid

mcginn owned the midfield, set pieces were poor but he was top notch. A nod to shinnie for his zidane esque touch taking the ball down before he went off, but can we please put to bed any talk of pawlett getting a cap, his swan dive at that header was laughable. Also has anyone lost pace in such a short space of time as goodwillie? he makes mixu look rapid

Goodwillie was never the quickest.