Lived Long And Prospered - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lived Long And Prospered

In the early 80's the original Star Trek's were all shown on tv (early evening maybe I forget exactly when). I lapped them up. It was the same time I was having to study science at school and it really resonated, it was proper science fiction. I mind some chemistry teacher telling us one day that carbon and silicon are similar in they have 4 available bonds but carbon is the one that plays a massive role in life on earth not silicon so maybe in other worlds silicon would be one life is based on....Shortly after Star Trek had a silicon based life form planet episode.

It seemed like the science was as much a character as the character theatre it had. Loved that series. Never took to the later incarnations as they ramped up the soap opera to the expense of the science I felt.

Favourite character, well has to be Science Officer Spock.

Vaguely on topic: You know that daft Vulcan salute - the whole-hand V-flick?

I can do it dead easy with my left (non-dominant) hand, but can't do it at all with my right. The missus (one of those southpaw freaks) can do it with both, but finds it harder with her dominant left.

Is this a general rule?

I can do it dead easy with my left (non-dominant) hand, but can't do it at all with my right. The missus (one of those southpaw freaks) can do it with both, but finds it harder with her dominant left.

Is this a general rule?

I did some early research into this back in the 70s coz I could only do it with my left hand (I'm left handed btw). Simply I used my left hand to hold the right hand fingers in the correct position for a few minutes and thereafter I was like an ambidextrous Vulcan.

Possibly my pre-teen fingers were easier to train but worth a try...

Edited by Toepoke

Gutted to see that Leonard Nimoy has passed away at the age of 83.

Nimoy played Mr. Spock (not Doctor Spock despite what the BBC say) in Star Trek and he was immense in that role. Surely, he made that character the most famous alien in film or television history.

As a young boy I remember sitting in front of the TV eagerly awaiting the start of another episode of Star Trek on BBC1 on Friday nights at 7pm. It transported me to another world and Leonard played his part in making me fascinated in space.

RIP Leonard.

Is this a general rule?

I can do it with both, I'm right handed.

Is this a general rule?

Takes effort for me either hand (I even have to concentrate on the devil's horns at gigs too so they don't come up wrong :blush::headbang: ), but had to give a Vulcan salute to Leonard. Especially after BremLG's video. RIP

Is this a general rule?

Jst checked im in the same situation as yer mrs. Although being left handed i still use mY right as my dominant hand.