Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside. - Page 424 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside.

Speirs  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was Speirs talking the truth or lying

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

47 minutes ago, Mox said:

I'm not quite sure I understand this new angle that Rangers fans seem to be taking about having every club reviewed? What are you proposing other clubs are reviewed for?

I don't really know what new angles Rangers fans seem to be taking either, this was just my opinion.

Celtic want a judicial review, purely on Rangers, to show transparency and allow scottish football to move on.  I don't think its possible, it will only slightly clear muddied waters if it is just on this one, recent issue.  If we want a judicial review to allow scottish football to move on, it has to be on everyone, or there will be no transparency.

If its a review on recent events, with the hope to invoke change (rules etc) and to get to the bottom of the how it happened, why it was allowed to happen etc, and try to ensure it cant happen again, then fair enough, it can just be recent events that are reviewed. 

Edited by BlueGaz

6 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

I don't think they are against an investigation of the SFA, I think they are against a judicial review of Rangers.  

But there in lies the problem. If it throws up anything related to your club then that may happen. However if there has been dodgy stuff going on surely all fans would welcome that?

Just now, ShedTA said:

But there in lies the problem. If it throws up anything related to your club then that may happen. However if there has been dodgy stuff going on surely all fans would welcome that?

Of course there has been dodgy stuff going on.  But it is all out in the open now.  The last 6 years has sorted that out.  What the judicial review is for, as requested by Celtic, is to assess all that is now known regarding just Rangers, and if further sanctions need to be applied in hindsight.  

Or, you could do a review of what has happened.  A review doesn't dish out further punishment, it reviews what has happened and changes rules/processes/etc so that it cannot happen again, or if it does, there are strict guidelines as to what happens to those fvcking up.

Or, we judicially review all clubs, and if there are sanctions to be applied, they are applied, if not, then surely only then can Scottish football declare transparency and move forward with integrity.  If clubs have nothing to hide, this would be the best option for all.  

5 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

Of course there has been dodgy stuff going on.  But it is all out in the open now.  The last 6 years has sorted that out.  What the judicial review is for, as requested by Celtic, is to assess all that is now known regarding just Rangers, and if further sanctions need to be applied in hindsight.  

Or, you could do a review of what has happened.  A review doesn't dish out further punishment, it reviews what has happened and changes rules/processes/etc so that it cannot happen again, or if it does, there are strict guidelines as to what happens to those fvcking up.

Or, we judicially review all clubs, and if there are sanctions to be applied, they are applied, if not, then surely only then can Scottish football declare transparency and move forward with integrity.  If clubs have nothing to hide, this would be the best option for all.  

Tbh i dont think we know the half of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Common sense has prevailed and this has been kicked in to touch.  FInally, Scottish Football brings back some credibility to itself by doing the right thing.

Capture.thumb.JPG.54d5de131e3ff26636899441ec45c753.JPG

Plans for an independent review into the way Scottish football handled Rangers ' use of EBTs will be scrapped by the board of the SPFL today.

It appeared certain that a new probe into the EBT saga would take place when SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster sent a letter to the SFA earlier this month asking the game's governing body to take part in the planned investigation.

The SPFL board had previously held talks over the potential of a review in July following the Supreme Court verdict that found against Rangers in their long-running legal battle with HMRC over their EBT payments to players.

However, the SFA refused to take part, with SFA chief executive Stewart Regan claiming that celtic were the only club who were keen on a review and that “raking over the coals” would only damage the image of the game.

Doncaster then came under fire for headlining his letter to the SFA as: “Independent review of use of tax avoidance schemes at Rangers FC and actions of Scottish football authorities”.

Rangers are believed to have been angered by the letter while other member clubs distanced themselves from it as they were under the impression any review would not solely focus on the Ibrox club and the events that led to the financial collapse in 2012.

It was thought the review would instead look at processes aimed at avoiding future financial traumas among all Scottish clubs as well as how such events would be handled in future.

celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell then waded in to the row by writing to the SFA.

He wrote: "I am disappointed to note the position of the Scottish FA board in relation to our request for a review and indeed the request by the SPFL, on behalf of the 42 clubs in Scotland, for a review.”

The Premiership champions said they were merely adopting the stance of the other 41 SPFL clubs and that a lack of a review would be a 'failure in transparency, accountability and leadership'.

But the weight of opinion now appears to have moved behind Regan's stance with Doncaster and Lawwell left isolated and the plans for an SPFL review now in tatters.

Premiership big-hitters Aberdeen , Kilmarnock and Hibs have already publicly stated their desire to move on from the contentious issue.

Now the Daily Mail reports that the SPFL board – which includes Hearts chairwoman Ann Budge, Morton's Warren , Hamilton's Les Gray and Iain Dougan of Stranraer – will today draw a line under the long-running saga by ditching plans for a new probe.

1 hour ago, Debian said:

Common sense has prevailed and this has been kicked in to touch.  FInally, Scottish Football brings back some credibility to itself by doing the right thing.

Capture.thumb.JPG.54d5de131e3ff26636899441ec45c753.JPG

hardly surprising. looks like the independent judicial review may go ahead though. more chance of getting to the bottom of this shambles that way.

17 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

hardly surprising. looks like the independent judicial review may go ahead though. more chance of getting to the bottom of this shambles that way.

Where do you see the indy Judicial Review going ahead Shed?

18 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

no, rumours it may go ahead on twitter. nothing firm but we'll see. it will be firmly aimed at the SFA though - Regan in particular I hope.

The latest from the SPFL.

The SPFL Board is disappointed in the Scottish FA’s decision not to participate in an independent review.

The SPFL Board still believes that an independent review, promoted jointly by the Scottish FA and SPFL, would have resulted in a better understanding of the procedures and processes adopted by football’s governing bodies. Such a review would also have enabled any lessons learned to be implemented for the future benefit of the game in Scotland.

SPFL Chairman Murdoch MacLennan commented: “The SPFL Board has been clear that any meaningful review would have had to be carried out in association with the Scottish FA and with the full and active co-operation of both organisations.

"The SPFL Board has therefore concluded that it cannot, by itself, take forward an effective independent review." 

Edited by BlueGaz

4 hours ago, ShedTA said:

no, rumours it may go ahead on twitter. nothing firm but we'll see. it will be firmly aimed at the SFA though - Regan in particular I hope.

Am I right in thinking that it would have to be a club that would raise it? Not an individual or a supporters club, for example.

On 21/09/2017 at 7:44 PM, Stu101 said:

Am I right in thinking that it would have to be a club that would raise it? Not an individual or a supporters club, for example.

No it would be an independent judicial review. Believe it or not, despite the way they carry on, the sfa are still governed by Scots law.

13 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

No it would be an independent judicial review. Believe it or not, despite the way they carry on, the sfa are still governed by Scots law.

There are strict timelines Shed. What ‘decisions’ are being challenged with this Judicial Review (I saw what you mentioned on Twitter)?

You can’t just have a JR whenever you want. So, you best get a shift on. 

11 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

There are strict timelines Shed. What ‘decisions’ are being challenged with this Judicial Review (I saw what you mentioned on Twitter)?

You can’t just have a JR whenever you want. So, you best get a shift on. 

Just noticed you said independent. I know the rules for JR but not sure if this is different. In fact, The rules are obviously different if it’s going ahead. :ok:

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

They need to work out the Chelsea excuse - or maybe it was chelsea supporters

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/rangers/linfield-supporters-blame-rangers-fans-for-sectarian-chants-1-4581721 

I'm amazed this is a story that the Scotsman have covered, as it's never mentioned when it happens at Rangers games. 

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

Top trolling in the utd programme from Saturday though.

Interesting. So the author is counting the leagues won by Peñarol when they formed part of the Central Uruguay Railway Cricket Club? Or are they just pandering to those folk who blindly lap this stuff up without checking  ;) 

(as an aside, Peñarol's tour is pretty good. They used to have the largest club flag in the world. Perhaps it still is. Huge thing). 

On 10/10/2017 at 0:32 AM, Stu101 said:

Interesting. So the author is counting the leagues won by Peñarol when they formed part of the Central Uruguay Railway Cricket Club? Or are they just pandering to those folk who blindly lap this stuff up without checking  ;) 

(as an aside, Peñarol's tour is pretty good. They used to have the largest club flag in the world. Perhaps it still is. Huge thing). 

Quite an achievement to outdo Linfield in the flag department.;)