Tokyo - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tokyo

durtyweeker

Anybody any tips on Tokyo. What area to stay ? Close to the best nightlife/bars etc. Also any tips on getting to Mt Fuji. Notice full day organised trips but if theres a way of getting there by public transport tht'd be better than a 13 hour tour. Anything else recommened. Were mainly going for 4 days on the piss

Until visiting Tokyo, I had no idea of the size of the place.

2009 most Scotland fans stayed in Roppongi (just seemed to be a region of the city that never sleeps), whereas we stayed in Asakusa (because we got a cracking deal on Expedia) which is more sleepy and more touristy during the day.

Do not think we were all that disappointed, as the last night was one of the best TA nights out I have every had :ok: and the metro system was nowhere near as complex as I thought.

Re: Mt Fugi, we just did the tour organised on here, but my mate who booked up pretty late got a tour arranged through Expedia (do not think was all that much, and included Bullet Train to the nearest station and transport up the Mountain).

In 2009 our group stayed in the Prince Hotel above Shinjuku station (world's busiest) - http://www.princehotels.com/en/shinjuku/Cracking heated lavvy seats in rooms!

Purely by chance when Marion and I went to Tokyo over Christmas and New Year in 2011 we stayed at the same place, only because the Expedia deal was the cheapest.

Nothing you read or hear about Tokyo prepares you for what's in store. The place is mental, space is limited everywhere, from hotel rooms to noodle bars to trains.

We went up Mt Fuji on New Year's Day 2012 and were lucky enough to get further up the mountain than anyone had been for 5 years due to the good weather. Bite the bullet on this one and go on an organised tour. It's well worth it. The information we got from our guide would not have been possible from books. Our tour also took in a trip on Lake Ashi.

As for beer, Kirin is really good, and Sapporo I found tasty, but everyone of us on both trips, including Marion, boaked at the Asahi. It's foul.