Series Worth Watching - Page 15 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

20 hours ago, Ormond said:

So, I mentioned on here to Ally yesterday that I have been watching the Band Of Brothers series. Finally finish watching it(outstanding tv) and as usual with true stories I go into geek mode researching on the net once they are over. Anyway, remember the wee Italian/American guy Frank Perconte who was in every episode? Died in 2013 aged 96. Turns out he is buried only two streets behind me a 2 minute stroll from my house here in my town Romeoville. 

Mental! 

Watched band of brother start to finish countless times . You seen the Pacific ? 

3 minutes ago, Newryrep said:

step away from the bottle:P

I'm right into redheads actually and I'm watching a show right now with that Mad Men tart in it, Christina Hendricks. Now that is some serious totty there. I'd say the most shaggable redhead on tv. The show is called Tin Star with Tim Roth and is set in Canada. It's started off pretty well. I think it's an Amazon production.

41 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I'm right into redheads actually and I'm watching a show right now with that Mad Men tart in it, Christina Hendricks. Now that is some serious totty there. I'd say the most shaggable redhead on tv. The show is called Tin Star with Tim Roth and is set in Canada. It's started off pretty well. I think it's an Amazon production.

She is a fine woman, however Sarah Rafferty (Donna) in Suits is my redhead of choice at present.

1 minute ago, stirlish said:

She is a fine woman, however Sarah Rafferty (Donna) in Suits is my redhead of choice at present.

She’s bonnie but she looks too prim and young for me. I want them older and have a dirty look on them that would sook the baws right off of you. 

On 09/01/2018 at 1:00 PM, Ormond said:

So, I mentioned on here to Ally yesterday that I have been watching the Band Of Brothers series. Finally finish watching it(outstanding tv) and as usual with true stories I go into geek mode researching on the net once they are over. Anyway, remember the wee Italian/American guy Frank Perconte who was in every episode? Died in 2013 aged 96. Turns out he is buried only two streets behind me a 2 minute stroll from my house here in my town Romeoville. 

Mental! 

I wouldn’t be the only one wiping tears after that last episode 

On 1/9/2018 at 11:44 PM, Ormond said:

I’ll look it up. Cheers. :ok:

The Pacific is brilliant, but my advice would be to not do what I did and go into it expecting Band of Brothers 2. I was disappointed with it, and I didn't really get it until I watched it a second time. Rami Malek is brilliant in it (on a side note he knows my niece, who is an actress, and got her a part in the upcoming Freddie Mercury biopic). It covers issues that Band of Brothers only touches on, such as post-traumatic stress disorder.

There's only about 10 of the Band of Brothers guys left now. The last of the main one from the series, Don Malarkey, died last year. There used to be a Wikipedia page listing all those still alive, but it came down (or was taken down).

A third series, about air crews, called Masters of the Air or The Mighty Eighth, has been mentioned for a long time but never meterialised. Hopefully it finally gets to our screens this year.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/featured/hbos-mighty-eighth-update-getting-close.html

Edited by Stapes

1 hour ago, Stapes said:

The Pacific is brilliant, but my advice would be to not do what I did and go into it expecting Band of Brothers 2. I was disappointed with it, and I didn't really get it until I watched it a second time. Rami Malek is brilliant in it (on a side note he knows my niece, who is an actress, and got her a part in the upcoming Freddie Mercury biopic). It covers issues that Band of Brothers only touches on, such as post-traumatic stress disorder.

There's only about 10 of the Band of Brothers guys left now. The last of the main one from the series, Don Malarkey, died last year. There used to be a Wikipedia page listing all those still alive, but it came down (or was taken down).

A third series, about air crews, called Masters of the Air or The Mighty Eighth, has been mentioned for a long time but never meterialised. Hopefully it finally gets to our screens this year.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/featured/hbos-mighty-eighth-update-getting-close.html

I was a bit disappointed by The Pacific as well, perhaps as a result of Band of Brothers setting the bar so high. One major difference for me was the quality of the acting. I thought two of the main characters in the Pacific  (Leckie and Sledge) were not the best or most convincing of actors. Not saying they were bad, just not great.

Was still a great series though.

30 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

I was a bit disappointed by The Pacific as well, perhaps as a result of Band of Brothers setting the bar so high. One major difference for me was the quality of the acting. I thought two of the main characters in the Pacific  (Leckie and Sledge) were not the best or most convincing of actors. Not saying they were bad, just not great.

Was still a great series though.

I'd definitely give it another try. Enjoyed it so much more the second time around. Once I'd accepted that it was a slower pace, with fewer firefights.

On 10 January 2018 at 8:42 PM, bonzo said:

Does that include bonnie Langford? :lol:

About 30 years ago a mate of mine used to work in an office at the top of Shaftesbury Avenue.  There was a theatre directly opposite and one afternoon he looked out of the window and across the way at a dressing room window to see a topless Bonnie Langford standing there.  I remember him saying it wasn't a pretty sight. 

25 minutes ago, aaid said:

About 30 years ago a mate of mine used to work in an office at the top of Shaftesbury Avenue.  There was a theatre directly opposite and one afternoon he looked out of the window and across the way at a dressing room window to see a topless Bonnie Langford standing there.  I remember him saying it wasn't a pretty sight. 

:lol:

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I have been pleasantly surprised with outlander, actually in my top 5,, However it would take something special to dethrone GOT

Are you fucking kidding me? I watched one episode and had to turn it off with embarrassment. :o

Just caught up with "Genius" - the life story of Albert Einstein it was enjoyable and I would probably recommend it.

Just watched "Feud" - basically the true (ish) story of the rivalry & bitterness between Joan Crawford & Bette Davis - found it a great watch, absolutely superb & would highly recommend it, it also focuses on there behaviour during the filming of "Whatever Happened To Baby Jane" (an iconic movie in it's own right".

Great acting in "Feud" by Susan Sarandon & Jessica Lange - this has also prompted me to look at some old Bette Davis movies, that woman could act all right - she must be in the top 5 female actresses of all time.

Been struggling to find something decent recently.  We've watched quite a few things over the last couple of years. Apologies for long list!

Tin Star - I thought it was decidedly average with a particularly sh1t ending

The Blacklist - started well but got very tedious and predictable

Ray Donavon - Watched the first 3 seasons and thought it was ok, then Sky pulled it!

The Keepers - not exactly uplifting, hard to watch at times but very interesting

Making a Murder - thought it was fantastic

The Jinx - poor cousin of the above

The Goodwife - dull as. My good lady liked it but i stopped watching

The US version of The Office - brilliant

Game of Thrones - brilliant

House of Cards - Started brilliantly but became too get silly near the end

Homeland - Started very well, second season was absolutely dire then became very decent again

Narcos - brilliant

Peaky Blinders - brilliant

Dr Foster - have to confess to loving it, the second series was just stupid in places though

Parks and Recreation - i'm watching currently and find it rather amusing.

Fortitude - enjoyable but dark

Watched first episode of Hard Sun last week - meh.

Going to start watching McMafia, apparently it's very good?

Edited by SMcoolJ