Madrid - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

KTA

Stayed at Catalonia Atocha recently and it was fine. Within walking distance of Retiro Park, Plaza Mayor, museums etc and lots of bars and restaurants nearby. Metro station next door and near Atocha station if you want to visit Toledo. Other Catalonia hotels in same street too.

The area to the east (i think) of the plaza mayor is fantastic for just chilling out. loads of bars/ cafes and tapas bars/restaurants. watched el classico in a tapas bar there a few years back. great stuff.

The bit I am thinking of is actually south of the plaza

Stayed here the last couple of times. http://en.petitpalacelondresmadrid.com/

50m from Puerta del Sol and 2 mins from Plaza Mayor.

As Shed says, the tapas and overall welcome from the bars just behind Mayor are tremendous.

5 minutes walk to the Royal Palace/Plaza d'Espana.

You're bang smack in the middle of the City - Top of Calle Arenal and the Grand Via.

We find the hotel great value.

Edited by Redz

Last couple of times we stayed at petit palace mayor. A stones throw from Playa Mayor and San Miguel market, a few minutes to Latina (street there, name escapes me, with countless great bars), Palacio Real and Opera nearby, Huertas and Sol 10 minutes walk. We got tickets through hotel for Atletico against Valencia, walked to stadium in under 25 minutes. Great city.

Stayed in Petit Palace San Benardo last week. Almost next door to Santo Domingo metro station, a minutes walk from Gran Via, with most other major sites within walking distance.

Took a 3 day pass for Metro out of laziness only about 16 which I thought was decent.

Few great things to see. Royal Palace is pretty spectacular. Del Prado Museum is decent. The Bullring is quite interesting. Managed to squeeze in Real vs Sevilla as well.

Good city.