Rangers Vs Celtic League Cup Semi-Final - Page 17 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers Vs Celtic League Cup Semi-Final

Immense? He bossed Black and Hutton which and decent midfielder could and should do.

Correct.

But in a potentially explosive match between 2 bitter enemies, I thought he was superb from start to finish.

Heads could have been lost but I thought he maintained a performance that from the first whistle to the final whistle, he dictated the match and placed his authority with ease.

Motm and deservedly so.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the score wi this secterian singing law? Has it all been forgotten about ? It was there for all to hear again today? Congratulations to the bigots. They have won again.

Okay i can't resist making the point. This gets beamed into over 50 countries globally and Murphy wants more freedom for hatefest songs and drinking - not what I want to represent a modern progressive Scotland.

Okay i can't resist making the point. This gets beamed into over 50 countries globally and Murphy wants more freedom for hatefest songs and drinking - not what I want to represent a modern progressive Scotland.

Although today just illustrates how utterly useless the Offensive Behaviour... act is. Unless clubs and the SFA take action - e.g. banning supporters, closed-door fixtures, docking points - nothing is going to change. However, as the SFA have sat on their hands for decades I won't hold my breath.

And lets not kid ourselves - thats probably the poorest Celtic team in the club's history to put into perspective a bit more how bad Rangers are

They had a real chance starting again at the bottom to rebuild, bring through young players etc - a total waste

And dont get me started on Kris Boyd - who STILL cant get a game against the stronger teams - how much is he being paid ?

You're off your head if you think this is the worst Celtic team ever!

We have a top class midfield. Two good, international full-backs, two good young centre-backs. Some very good midfielders, most of them internationals and some alright forwards.

We may not have the same class of player we had under O'Neil but this is far from the worst team we've ever had.

Is it not the case that Celtic are cutting their cloth accordingly? Exactly what another club should have done a few years ago. They don't have to spend millions improving their squad as they do not have a realistic challenger for the league title.

Edited by gazayr

In a way I understand McDowall wanting to avoid a total hammering but I would have brought on Templeton and Boyd for the last `15 minutes of that match. Probably sums up where his head is at the moment, not on his job that's for sure. Also Simmonsen is one of the worst goalies we have had at Rangers for many years.

You're off your head if you think this is the worst Celtic team ever!

We have a top class midfield. Two good, international full-backs, two good young centre-backs. Some very good midfielders, most of them internationals and some alright forwards.

We may not have the same class of player we had under O'Neil but this is far from the worst team we've ever had.

Izauirre!!?He is utterly hopeless.

Although today just illustrates how utterly useless the Offensive Behaviour... act is. Unless clubs and the SFA take action - e.g. banning supporters, closed-door fixtures, docking points - nothing is going to change. However, as the SFA have sat on their hands for decades I won't hold my breath.

?

Is it not the case that Celtic are cutting their cloth accordingly? Exactly what another club should have done a few years ago. They don't have to spend millions improving their squad as they do not have a realistic challenger for the league title.

This.

Tough to criticise Celtic too much for not spending. Only thing is when they have bought recently it's been dross, like Scepovic or Balde.

I think the loan with option to buy is a better Bet for them.

I'd be happy if we had anybody worth keeping!

You could argue Celtic waste a lot of money, and I have quite a few times. Not on £6 million players, but on 6 x £1million players. They have a big squad, full of guys who haven't really cut it, and seem to have had a conveyor belt of duds pass through the doors.

They're getting away with it because there's no real competition, and because of the handful of success stories being sold to England.

I didn't hear any sectarian singing from the Celtic fans. What are you referring to?

I didn't hear anything except sectarian singing from the Rangers fans.

You need to get your ears tested mate.

From the list of songs "Kirk" posted

It is by every means the whole support.

Highlights were

Glasgow Celtic peadophiles - not sectarian

10 German bombers - not sectarian

Rule Britannia - not sectarian

Who's the fenian in the black - probably sectarian

Jimmy saville he's one of your own - not sectarian

Billy boys - already deemed sectarian

Have I missed any??

The ones you missed were

GSTQ - Not Sectarian

Follow Follow - Not Sectarian (with the correct words as most seemed to be singing)

There's not a team - Not Sectarian

We are Rangers - Probably Sectarian

WATP - Not Sectarian

The Sash - Not Sectarian

Build My Gallows - Not Sectarian

Who Shagged All The Boys - Not Sectarian

I would say a lot of these songs are in bad taste, but not all are sectarian as you claimed Adam :ok:

As for the game itself.

I thought from behind the goals it looked like Simmonsen should have saved Commons' shot easily but others who saw it on TV seem to think it was a great goal, so I may be mistaken. I thought Rangers were the better team in the second half (probably because Celtic stopped & could have upped their game again at any time) but could have played till Christmas & not scored. Rangers played with no passion in the first half but seemed to be a bit more up for it in the second.

Craig Thomson did Rangers a massive favour by pulling the game back when Griffiths was clean through & I was shocked to see McCulloch not be sent off in the last couple of minutes for what looked like (from the West stand) a 2 footed lunge on Brown. How Rangers were given the free kick for that incident, I'll never know.

The day seems to have gone off with relatively little trouble which is a blessing. Hopefully be a long time before we have another OF game inflicted on us. Interesting that one of the main talking points at my work this morning amongst numerous bears with sore heads (literally) is Delia and his post-match celebration. He's on the list now.

The game was a non-event. Gulf in class was huge, had Celtic taken one of their other chances in the first half I suspect it could have been a cricket score. To be fair Rangers rallied a bit in the second when Daly came on and they reverted to hoof-ball (tactical genius by McDowall to try to play football for the first time this season against the best team they'll face on a ploughed field of a pitch); Celtic were in second gear for the whole second half too. Celtic did a job on Black, took turn about at booting him early on, and later on, when it was clear Thomson was going to be lenient, Brown had a field day.

Edited by Pool Q

Celtic were in second gear for the whole second half too. Celtic did a job on Black, took turn about at booting him early on, and later on when it was clear Thomson was going to be lenient Brown had a field day.

Totally agree with this, I thought when I saw Black was starting the first thing he would have done was "take an early booking" for going straight through Biton. (He'd never have the balls to try to go through Brown)

Deilas celebrations are a bit odd, especially in the circumstances. I never saw tommy burns Martin o'neill etc doing that and they gave us some right pumpings when we had a quality side.

The Celtic fans seem to lap it up - perhaps why he keeps doing it as I don't think celtics performances on the pitch have ingratiated him too much with their fans.

You need to get your ears tested mate.

From the list of songs "Kirk" posted

The ones you missed were

GSTQ - Not Sectarian

Follow Follow - Not Sectarian (with the correct words as most seemed to be singing)

There's not a team - Not Sectarian

We are Rangers - Probably Sectarian

WATP - Not Sectarian

The Sash - Not Sectarian

Build My Gallows - Not Sectarian

Who Shagged All The Boys - Not Sectarian

I would say a lot of these songs are in bad taste, but not all are sectarian as you claimed Adam :ok:

As for the game itself.

I thought from behind the goals it looked like Simmonsen should have saved Commons' shot easily but others who saw it on TV seem to think it was a great goal, so I may be mistaken. I thought Rangers were the better team in the second half (probably because Celtic stopped & could have upped their game again at any time) but could have played till Christmas & not scored. Rangers played with no passion in the first half but seemed to be a bit more up for it in the second.

Craig Thomson did Rangers a massive favour by pulling the game back when Griffiths was clean through & I was shocked to see McCulloch not be sent off in the last couple of minutes for what looked like (from the West stand) a 2 footed lunge on Brown. How Rangers were given the free kick for that incident, I'll never know.

No Pope of Rome?

Sorry - missed that one out - I would put that down as Sectarian

So the question is what are the police or the SFA going to do about it?

I could stop it quite easily overnight if I was in charge at the SFA. Any game where fans are found to be singing proscribed songs would be forfeited 3-0. If both sets are at it then both get zero points/disqualified. Slightly less severe would be to force the next game to be played behind closed doors. Easy.

So the question is what are the police or the SFA going to do about it?

I could stop it quite easily overnight if I was in charge at the SFA. Any game where fans are found to be singing proscribed songs would be forfeited 3-0. If both sets are at it then both get zero points/disqualified. Slightly less severe would be to force the next game to be played behind closed doors. Easy.

100%. Question also is why do the SFA continue to sweep it all under the carpet?

You could argue Celtic waste a lot of money, and I have quite a few times. Not on £6 million players, but on 6 x £1million players. They have a big squad, full of guys who haven't really cut it, and seem to have had a conveyor belt of duds pass through the doors.

They're getting away with it because there's no real competition, and because of the handful of success stories being sold to England.

That's the strategy. If we spend £7m on 3 or 4 players and only one is sold in the region of £10m to an English club, we are making money on transfers.

We tend to make a profit most years on transfers (before wages are factored in) and I think it's the right thing to do. I expect VD will be away today or in the summer for the best part of £10m. We'll use some of that money to buy a few players with the hope that one of them can be punted at a big profit after we've got some good performances out of them.

The success of Forster, Ledley and Wanyama will increase buying confidence in our players too.

Sure, some will flop but in the main, it's a successful tactic for the club.

Deilas celebrations are a bit odd, especially in the circumstances. I never saw tommy burns Martin o'neill etc doing that and they gave us some right pumpings when we had a quality side.

The Celtic fans seem to lap it up - perhaps why he keeps doing it as I don't think celtics performances on the pitch have ingratiated him too much with their fans.

He does that after every win.