One Happy Family Of Nations? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

One Happy Family Of Nations?

Can't post the link but BBC has story of schoolboy in Swansea who wasn't allowed on the bus twice because he only had a Scottish tenner. Result was an hour long walk in cold and heavy rain. In fairness to the bus company they have since apologised but it's this sort of thing that is a constant reminder of how Scotland is treated as second class citizen in the UK.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much for Celtic solidarity!

I've found that it tends to be more of a problem the further south you go. I was working down in Newcastle just before Christmas and no one batted an eyelid when I used Scottish notes. A couple of years ago I was down south visiting relatives in Kent - right on the doorstep of Britain's only 'world city' - and my Scottish £20 was refused in the pub we were drinking in (queue the rather ignominious walk back to the table to see if anyone had any "proper" money).

Thank f*ck we voted No to circumvent all this nonsense, eh?

I've found that it tends to be more of a problem the further south you go. I was working down in Newcastle just before Christmas and no one batted an eyelid when I used Scottish notes. A couple of years ago I was down south visiting relatives in Kent - right on the doorstep of Britain's only 'world city' - and my Scottish £20 was refused in the pub we were drinking in (queue the rather ignominious walk back to the table to see if anyone had any "proper" money).

See, what you do is, you take a deep, deep slug from your pint - THEN you proffer your Scottish note.

If they refuse to accept it - you tell them to take the drink back.

Wouldn't all this nonsense have continued exactly the same, given Scotland would've kept using the exact same money?

Can't post the link but BBC has story of schoolboy in Swansea who wasn't allowed on the bus twice because he only had a Scottish tenner. Result was an hour long walk in cold and heavy rain. In fairness to the bus company they have since apologised but it's this sort of thing that is a constant reminder of how Scotland is treated as second class citizen in the UK.

Try getting shot of an Ulster Bank note in parts of Scotland...

Try getting shot of an Ulster Bank note in parts of Scotland...

^^^

Often the reason for refusing Scottish notes is that staff are unfamiliar with them, making it very difficult to spot a forgery.

The only time I've encountered this was when the owner of a cafe in Crosby rudely said he hoped I wasn't going to pay with a Scottish note (I wasn't as I only had BoE notes on me - he wasn't a local, his accent was south of the Watford Gap).

As Scotlad says it's more likely to be an issue the further south you go - on regular visits to Carlisle and Hexham no-one stalls even for a nanosecond upon being presented with a Scottish note as they are familiar with them.

I normally withdraw cash from the YBS ATM on Gordon Street (it's en route to the Horseshoe), so I usually always carry English notes anyway.

Bank of Ireland ones are the worst.

Aye, not long ago I woke up to find a Bank of Ireland fiver in my wallet - a fly taxi driver had slipped it into my change and I hadn't noticed at the time - fortunately, M&S took it no bother when paying for a sandwich, but I've had NI bank notes refused before.

I always draw out a load of scottish notes before going south, then go in my local down here and have great fun buying a round and getting all the usual comments.

I once told a guy in the pub that you get a penny in the pound more for Scottish money than you do English and he believed me, was good to see him arguing for more change from the landlord.

Up to a year or so ago I was up & down to Scotland all the time & forever had Scottish notes on me. Now the village where I live is not renowned for being cosmopolitan, outward-facing nor open to the possibility that there might be intelligent life beyond the Pennines but to be fair I never had any trouble using them at the local shops. They'd sometimes give a second glance but can't ever remember an argument anywhere around here over them.

I have seen signs up though on occasions around the town saying Scottish notes not accepted but I think that's been down to forgeries circulating that they can't spot.

It's Monopoly money I have loads of trouble with. I still can't get change for that 500.

Up to a year or so ago I was up & down to Scotland all the time & forever had Scottish notes on me. Now the village where I live is not renowned for being cosmopolitan, outward-facing nor open to the possibility that there might be intelligent life beyond the Pennines but to be fair I never had any trouble using them at the local shops. They'd sometimes give a second glance but can't ever remember an argument anywhere around here over them.

I have seen signs up though on occasions around the town saying Scottish notes not accepted but I think that's been down to forgeries circulating that they can't spot.

It's Monopoly money I have loads of trouble with. I still can't get change for that 500.

I think that's totally understandable - if you wanted to pass off a load of dodgy notes going somewhere that people weren't familiar with them might seem like a good idea.

I was down in darkest Yorkshire just before xmas, and and when I went to pay for petrol with Scottish money, the guy behind the till told me, "sorry mate, we don't take Euros".

You weren't round South Elmsall by any chance? They haven't got over scrapping the groat round there yet.

See, what you do is, you take a deep, deep slug from your pint - THEN you proffer your Scottish note.

If they refuse to accept it - you tell them to take the drink back.

did a similar thing on oxford street years ago. bopught two icecreams form a stall on the street. the boy refused my scottish note so i just shrugged said that was all i had and walked off with the ice creams. he couldnt leave his stall to come after me and TBH i dont think he was too bothered.

and neither was i really.

did a similar thing on oxford street years ago. bopught two icecreams form a stall on the street. the boy refused my scottish note so i just shrugged said that was all i had and walked off with the ice creams. he couldnt leave his stall to come after me and TBH i dont think he was too bothered.

and neither was i really.

Aye...... but......, thats theft.

Ye should have gave them back........

finger of shame is pointing at you ..... lol