Space X Launch - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Space X Launch

Today Space X were due to launch their resupply rocket. It's now been delayed until Friday. This will be their 5th mission to resupply the ISS. Nothing new there, but what they are trying to do for the first time is to recover the Falcon 9 first stage rocket by landing it on a floating platform in the Atlantic. In order for it to work the are looking an accuracy of about 10 meters. To me, just imagining that something like this is possible is just mind bogging.

http://www.spacex.com/news/2014/12/16/x-marks-spot-falcon-9-attempts-ocean-platform-landing

Yeah, it's pretty cool. It's interesting watching all these different launch vehicles that are under development at the moment. Someone is going to really shake up the space industry by producing a step change in the cost of launching satellites in the next ten years, and then there will be a real kick on in the sector.

Having said that, I'm not convinced that there isn't a bubble in the space industry at the moment, and a lot of people basing businesses on poorly understood economic values and 'look-at-this-isn't-it-really-cool' business cases.

Edited by biffer

• 3 years later...
7 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Anyone else awaiting Scotty's take ?

I watched as well & was thinking of Scotty. Not so much from a point of proving him wrong, as I'm sure Hollywood could have knocked that together if they'd wished, but rather that someone with so much belief wouldn't see the hand of God in something so beautiful as that footage of the Earth.

8 minutes ago, phart said:

It's really cool. I like the "Don't Panic" sign. Hopefully got some good data for the next one and they can recover as much as possible.

I like the quirky humour of the things they are doing. It might just spark some more of the public's imagination to get interested in space exploration again. Anybody who can remember the moon landings will be over 50 now. It's time for the younger generations with bigger ideas to take over.

7 minutes ago, phart said:

It's really cool. I like the "Don't Panic" sign. Hopefully got some good data for the next one and they can recover as much as possible.

Apparently there's a copy of H2G2 in the glove box :)

Had a google there and the next Falcon Heavy launch will be in a couple of months, the more practical payload of a communication satellite for Saudi Arabia.

It looks like the BFR will take mind blowing to a different level...

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/02/falcon-heavy-proved-computer-software-for-designing-big-falcon-rocket.html