Ski Scotland - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ski Scotland

Well, winter is here again and that can mean only one thing.

Snow.

And the best thing about snow is being able to ski on it.

The Lecht, Cairngorm and Glenshee are open for business today, so vast has been the snowfall in the last week. It'll take a few more dumps for the western areas to get a filling before they can open but great to see the ski areas opening now. Ye cannae beat a gey braw snaw on the the hills and gravity as yer pal.

Boarders and Skiers, have a great winter on the snow. :)

How is the Scottish Ski industry doing these days? I mind reading stuff in the paper (maybe 10 years ago) about how global warming was going to kill it off forever.

I'm no scientist, but I think by voting 'no' we stopped global warming?

Anyway...

Skiing in Scotland is alright. Snow last year was quality.

Cairngorm stormed off today but i made it to the Lecht. Hardly a breath of wind at the car park, almost gale force at the top of the hill and extremely cold. Could do with a lot more snow there.

Hampden Loon...Glencoe is alright but not if you`re a beginner. It`s not that big either, far more runs at Glenshee, Nevis and Cairngorm.

Skiing in Scotland is pretty poor. Ill maybe do a couplr of days but hopeong to get away to 3 valleys for a week in march and then move back to canada for really good snow the end of next year.

Once youve experience good snow abroad its hard to get excited about skiing here.

Skiing in Scotland is pretty poor. Ill maybe do a couplr of days but hopeong to get away to 3 valleys for a week in march and then move back to canada for really good snow the end of next year.

Once youve experience good snow abroad its hard to get excited about skiing here.

:rolleyes:

You obviously haven't skied in Scotland enough.I've skied all over Europe and Canada too and at its best, albeit it doesn't happen that often, Scotland is a match for anywhere.

You obviously haven't skied in Scotland enough.I've skied all over Europe and Canada too and at its best, albeit it doesn't happen that often, Scotland is a match for anywhere.

At its best. How often is that? Scotland is pretty dire for skiing and expensive for the quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Staying in Blairgowrie for the next few days with the hope of getting some skiing done at glenshee if not maybe a trip up to Aviemore.

Glenshee isn't looking very hopeful right enough.

Maybe try the lecht.. http://ski.visitscotland.com/conditions/lecht/

that is cobblers

i used to champion the local slopes , and wondered why people from the south went to the continent (until i visited....)

admittedly never skied at aonach mor , but cairngorm and glenshee plenty - we always bypassed the lecht

in 80s, you could ski regularly every winter - there was a ski report desk on grampian tv on friday nights...

the wind being a real spoiler though , and many times roads/access an issue if decent dump of snow - coupled by the mass clamour for the hills when decent conditions/ not that great infrastructure (mind the paper (mache) tickets that left you with wire only)

french alps , for me was streets ahead of anything else in choice of different hills/resorts, and runs on each - coupled with loads of cafes etc on hills

- austria great too - but locals not as nice imo

ski'd 8 years now in western canada ; banff , lake louise, fernie bc, whitefish montana and other smaller ones too - good skiing , queue up courtesy ahead of europe, but only usually central cafeteria type stuff at base/village - usa has more going on and generally way cheaper

may have a lot to do with last day in glenshee circa 2000 having to pole forward leaning down a steep slope to make headway against wind, piste blown to a virtual ice surface and grumpy lift guys

that is cobblers

i used to champion the local slopes , and wondered why people from the south went to the continent (until i visited....)

admittedly never skied at aonach mor , but cairngorm and glenshee plenty - we always bypassed the lecht

in 80s, you could ski regularly every winter - there was a ski report desk on grampian tv on friday nights...

the wind being a real spoiler though , and many times roads/access an issue if decent dump of snow - coupled by the mass clamour for the hills when decent conditions/ not that great infrastructure (mind the paper (mache) tickets that left you with wire only)

french alps , for me was streets ahead of anything else in choice of different hills/resorts, and runs on each - coupled with loads of cafes etc on hills

- austria great too - but locals not as nice imo

ski'd 8 years now in western canada ; banff , lake louise, fernie bc, whitefish montana and other smaller ones too - good skiing , queue up courtesy ahead of europe, but only usually central cafeteria type stuff at base/village - usa has more going on and generally way cheaper

may have a lot to do with last day in glenshee circa 2000 having to pole forward leaning down a steep slope to make headway against wind, piste blown to a virtual ice surface and grumpy lift guys

Spot on, Scottish slopes are pretty awful, I CBA driving from Glasgow to pay £35 to spend most of my day in a queue because they are too scared to open higher lifts or the marvellous train at the Cairngorm's is snowed in (there must be a simple solution to keep the tracks and tunnel clear when it snows)

I'd say the biggest problem with skiing in Scotland is the price.

I'm heading to Cairngorm tomorrow where it's a bargain £35 per day. Next month I'm off to France where it's 90 for 7 days...

Yea price is awful

We tuned up at cairngorm at 8.30am this morning to be told it was sold out so I'd get up here early.

We were close last year, I got 3 of the last 10 tickets and we were close to just selling them as only three lifts were open due to high wind. Loads jobby.

I bought a splitboard last season. Yes, it's a big effort to get to the top, but if you like mountaineering that's part of the enjoyment. From there you have the pick of the mountains and are generally on untouched snow. Oh, and it's free (once you've bought all the expensive equipment!)

We tuned up at cairngorm at 8.30am this morning to be told it was sold out so I'd get up here early.

No it wasn't. I didn't get there until after 9.

My ticket says on it that I bought it at 9:24.

Other than that, good post.

The snow up the top was quality. Shame more of it wasn't open, but there wasn't enough snow- I've already scratched my new skis.