Coldplay - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coldplay

deso1

hope GS doesn't have him as the managers achilles heel - constant selecting of players no matter how cack they are

saw it before with k.miller , paul dickov, freedman etc ; journeymen forwards - miller did have some decent games

annoying thing is now we seem to have some talent available - he seems unwilling to try

No. Scottish dad.

I think that makes him Scottish enough to be fair. That said, I really hope that WGS is rethinking his position on this guy. Haven't seen him for Derby, but from his Scotland appeances, I don't see what he offers the team at all.

It does show how important S. Fletcher is for us (despite the lack of goals so far). If we need someone to hold the ball up and interplay with the midfield, we don't have anyone better.

Didn't see the game but from the Poland and Ireland performances I'm not surprised he didn't play well. I fail to see what he offers at international level for us. He's immonbile, slow and spent more time on the floor against Ireland, than he did holding the ball up.

Hopefully Strachan realises he's not a direct replacement for Fletcher. We looked significantly weaker in those games when Martin replaced him.

We'd have got more mobility if we'd selected Brother Walfrid's statue up front. Sorry, but this guy is utter p*sh. Borderline worst I've seen in a Scotland shirt - one touch on his chest and then picks himself up after falling flat on his pus. Surely GS can see that there's no point persisting with this fkin haddie. May and Russell showed far more in the short time they were allowed.

I know Martin has scored more goals than them both. Fck knows how though.

Martin may be a slow starter whoever played upfront last night was going to struggle we couldnt find anyone inside the box with the ball , Not convinced by May yet either but I think Rhodes and Mcormack still have something to offer , but they dont appear to have the required rapport with GS

Not sure May is setting the heather alight at wednesday? Think strach is admitting he is learning stuff all the time in the job and after his performance last night don't think he'll mug himself by percevering with Martin much longer. He's binned players such as Adam, Rhodes and Grifiths fairly quickly.

Really don't what the best alternatives are after Steven fletcher.

Tin hat time but... I'm going to defend him a bit.

Martin has scored lots of goals for Derby as they are a very attacking team and create a lot of chances. He doesn't get that with Scotland as we play a more possession-orientated game so we're maybe not seeing the best of him – far from it in the eyes of probably the majority of fans.

They will argue he offers little movement and struggles on closing opponents down and harrying them etc. Its hard to argue against that. But...

I can see why Strachan picks him. He's a big, strong guy and gives us an alternative – a physical presence. If we want to play it long, he's the target to either hold it up, flick it on or try to get a free-kick. Most importantly of all, he gives us a bit of height and power at set pieces, particularly defensive ones. In some games and also in some phases of games (late on, chasing a goal), we'll need that.

Even with C. Martin there, we are still a couple of taller players, erm, short at set pieces! That showed against Ireland, who carried an aerial threat. We had to defend with the entire team back at free-kicks and corners and rely on the sheer numbers to do the job. The downside of that is no out ball.

In attacking areas, Strachan, McCall and co recognised the height difference between the sides and their instructions against ROI worked as we scored from a short corner.

I reckon Strachan also wants consistency in squad selection – something sadly lacking in the Levein era – and to build a club-like feel to the squad.

Realistically, we don't have too many surefire alternatives - the other contenders all have weaknesses. A few years ago, Goodwillie would have been the one to pick. Not now unfortunately.